Should i use a camelback to carry water? | Squat the Planet

Should i use a camelback to carry water?

Derner

Reaction score
I am going train hopping for the first time in a few months with a few buddies of mine and i was wondering if carrying a camel-back to carry water along with a few water bottles was a bad idea or not. Can anyone help me out with this?

WindWalker1970

Reaction score
I have one and love it. Use it hiking and biking. Recommended.

Peanut butter

Reaction score
You actually shouldn't carry water, considering where you are there is probably a mcdonalds oreven a spicket, just go without, and carry a water key, but make sure to grab a fifth of whiskey you wont drink water for two days.

Fishkiss

Reaction score
It's whatever you prefer...I always have a camel pack...it blows my mind how many gas stations I've been in filling it and ppl wana know what it is....I get so sick of hearing it I tell em its my.catheter bag...word crow I want the wine rack to wear on my head in the summer....

K

Kim Chee

If you go thirsty, it is probably something you could have prevented. On the other hand, you don't need as much water this time of year and by looking at bear grylls, piss sippin' is en vogue.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
if you do end up carrying it, make sure to clean it regularly (more so than other water bottles) because bacteria can build up in the hose and cause mold.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
them things gross me out....i threw mine away.....suckin on a hose attached to a weird jiggly bladder bag thing.....no thanks

Doc Road

Reaction score
It dose have draw backs,the hose dose git dirty and tacks buying the cleaning tools. You have to keep it safe(there thin and puncture in a pack). The set up can cost like 60 bucks without the dam pack! They have a filter to take the bad taste. The best part is in hot weather you can have cool water all day,just put ice in and wrap it in spare clothes,it stays there so stays cool. And as you drink it just shrinks in your pack,great when your on the go or just lazy. Saved my ass one time(literately),got hit buy a car,went over the top,landed on my lower back,the chrome messenger bag with half full camel back,broke the fall,would have broke my ass,but broke the bag. Solved the price problem too,fits down my pants!

TBone

Reaction score
I don't know about them. I guess my biggest bitch about them is pulling all the shit out of my pack when I want to refill and also not being able to gauge how much water I have. I've more than once woken up thirsty as hell on a train and began sucking at the camel back teat to get one mouth full of water. It's pretty shitty. I'm usually pretty good on a couple liter bottles unless I'm hunkering down for a long haul. Hard to get water out if your going to cook too. I might use one simply as a water storage bladder and not really utilize the hose. Packs easier.

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
they work well but maybe carry a couple other bottles of water an extra gallon jug is a bit much if your already carrying 2liters in your camel back unless its hot as hell out. the other bottles are nice because u can put lime juice in it. i have a camel back and a clean canteen which is good for disguising your booze.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Reaction score
Save your money and use an old, empty space bag as a water bladder. Sure it won't stay cold all day, but neither will a camel back. Buy a box of wine, use gravity to drink it, and use the "useless" empty bag as a water container. It can hold as much as some camel backs and can shrink down even smaller when it's not full. Improvise friend, it will get you far.

Reactions: Rover
D

Deleted member 20

Im a bit old school & got harrased by the police for it. Id always just grab an empty bleach bottle outvof trash/recycling, wash, rinse, repeat. Untill last time thru bergen yard in nj when i got my id ran & suspicious container sniffed & questioned by dumb ass post 9/11 cops that think they can profile. It was a joke but i didnt like the addrd scrutiny. No more clorox for me.

Bl3wbyyou

Reaction score
Hmm i had the usmc ilbe pack which was designed to carry water on the outside it was made to carry a 100oz camelbak so thats what i used.Made topping up a utter joke.And i loved having my hands free at all times.Its just one of my pet peaves lol.

I'm gonna get another one for sure along with another ILBE soon enough.

I'd reccomend it and get one with a bite valve that has a on/off function so you can sit on it and not have to worry about water going everywhere.I'm 240lbs and i sat on that damn system many times so it can take my lard ass it'll take anyone lol.Plus its comfortable and doubles as a pillow at times when its half full.

I rather carry that and have my hands free then carrying a gallon of water that weighs 8lbs all damn day.

Plus you can also get a canteen if you need more water.The 100oz one was just right best of all worlds for me at least.I'd top it up id say 3 times in a day or so roughly.

Plastic taste sucks though you get use to it.And i never really had to clean mine as i used it so much out on the road and always had water in it nearly all the time.

Hell its a item that pays for itself in the long run.And also people like to trade things out and about as well.

I'd get another one and spend the $7 on a waterkey at lowes.Those are handy parts of kit to have!

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
The Platypus out shines a camel back any day in my opinion. Ive had mine for over 3 years (the 3 liter one). Ive abused the shit out of it and its still hole free, ive left it empty but wet for weeks on end and it never molds or mildews for some reason, and it doesnt make your water taste like plastic.

platypus_bottle.jpg

Neogodhobo

Reaction score
I usually bring good ol water jug..... 4 liter for the dogs, 2 liter for me and 2 350ml for emergency. keeps me going all the way. Although it is fucking heavy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads