SF to PDX

animole

Reaction score
Website
getoutofthepool.tumblr.com
Hey there. Haven't been here for a year or two. Tryin to get to Portland by the 15th or 16th. Leaving from San Fran. Any routes I might be interested in taking. Train or thumbing it? If it's a stupid question, just ignore me.

menu

Reaction score
hopping outta oak-town isnt all that hard. but should be easy to get a ride with some peeps. someones always going up north. just ask around haight

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Best hitch route (my personal favorite) is the 101 to crescent city then hook up with the 199 till you hit grants pass and the I-5. 101 is a hitcher friendly hwy and now that harvest is over the tension is gone. The 199 usually is a straight shot all the way thru to the 5 cause there isnt many towns along the way. Then once your on the 5 in Oregon your allowed to walk it and hitch.

From SF you ive always had luck hitchin at the intersection of Broderick and Richardson across from the Vallero. There is plenty of room for cars to pull over and most people are going as far as San Rafael at the least. If you completely fail that and have money you could take Golden Gate transit as far as Santa Rosa for something like $12. If you get dropped off in or take the bus to Santa Rosa you may have better luck taking Sonoma county transit to Cloverdale ($2.50 last i did this). This is the last town in Sonoma before you hit Mendocino co. Once in Mendo land you should have no problem making it to Humbolt or Del Norte countys. If you make it as far as Salem and have a hard time getting outta there (i do all the time) there is the 1x bus for a couple bux to Wilsonville. From there you got trimet coming into the city.

Ive hitched this shit a bazillion times so over the years ive found out alot of shit that makes the route easier. Also you could take the 299 across from Arcata to the 5 in Redding but its aint easy hitchin the I-5 in CA

Good luck

Reactions: iamalouse

Hylyx

Reaction score
I'll be back in PDX hopefully by tomorrow, and then will be headed north. If you wanna meet up an PDX let me know. :)

J

Johnny P

101 North. The University Onramp in Berkeley is gold. Just hold a 101 North sign. Trains are dangerous and Oakland and Rosyville are blown to shit. (As usual)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads