Seattle, WA | Page 6 | Squat the Planet

Seattle, WA

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
So I'm headed to Seattle soon.

Questions:

1. Do any of the youth drop-in centers require proof of age?
  2. Is Discovery Park still a cool place to sleep?
  3. Can I put up a tent anywhere?
  4. Where should I spange?
  5. What's the deal with not being able to sit on the sidewalk? Is that still a thing? And will the cops actually ticket/arrest me for it?
  6. Can I hop on the Link or the buses without paying, and get away with it?

I grew up in Seattle but have never been homeless there but can answer some of these questions based on what I know and have heard from other folks.

1. They do. I once went to Orion Center for an event with friends and even though I wasn't staying there or asking for resources I still had to show my ID and provide some other information. Not sure how old you are but there are different resources for people of different ages, including resources for homeless folks in their early twenties.

2. Not sure.

3. Not really. They're starting to crack down more on this recently and have been doing sweeps of well-known encampments.

More important than that is the fact that Seattle has a huge homeless population and you're probably gonna want to find somewhere away from where other folks are camping. I don't have any personal recommendations but I'd definitely say catch a bus out of the city center. North Seattle is more residential and South Seattle is more industrial and generally has a reputation for being rougher. Maybe someone else here will know of a spot.

4. You might have a tough time spanging because there's gonna be a lot of competition but your best bets are Capitol Hill or the U District, especially on the weekends and evenings when everyone is out barhopping.

5. Not sure but I see folks sitting on the sidewalk a lot. I think you'd probably be fine as long as you're not in people's way or being super aggressive but I can't tell you for sure.

6. You can usually ride city buses for free unless the driver is a real stickler (which some are). It's easier if you have a handful of change that you can drop in the box and say that's all you have. I've done it with twelve cents before and the driver begrudgingly let me on. It also helps if there are a lot of other people waiting for the bus because the driver will let you on for free just to keep the line moving.

The streetcar that passes through Capitol Hill, First Hill, the Central District, Chinatown, and Pioneer Square doesn't get a lot of use so I've never seen fare enforcement there. That's an easily walkable distance though so it's not super useful.

The Rapid Ride lines (yellow and red buses that have letter names instead of numbers) and the Light Rail both have checks where fare enforcement gets on at random stations and checks everyone. It doesn't seem to happen very frequently. but if they ask for your ticket and bus card and you don't have one, they'll ask for your ID and take your name down.

As I understand it, the first time is a warning but if you get caught again they can kick you off and write you a ticket. It's up to you whether you want to take that chance but I personally pay for the Light Rail and Rapid Rides when I take them because I want avoid trouble and can afford the $2-3 fare.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick
S

storyofrachel

I grew up in Seattle but have never been homeless there but can answer some of these questions based on what I know and have heard from other folks.

1. They do. I once went to Orion Center for an event with friends and even though I wasn't staying there or asking for resources I still had to show my ID and provide some other information. Not sure how old you are but there are different resources for people of different ages, including resources for homeless folks in their early twenties.

2. Not sure.

3. Not really. They're starting to crack down more on this recently and have been doing sweeps of well-known encampments.

More important than that is the fact that Seattle has a huge homeless population and you're probably gonna want to find somewhere away from where other folks are camping. I don't have any personal recommendations but I'd definitely say catch a bus out of the city center. North Seattle is more residential and South Seattle is more industrial and generally has a reputation for being rougher. Maybe someone else here will know of a spot.

4. You might have a tough time spanging because there's gonna be a lot of competition but your best bets are Capitol Hill or the U District, especially on the weekends and evenings when everyone is out barhopping.

5. Not sure but I see folks sitting on the sidewalk a lot. I think you'd probably be fine as long as you're not in people's way or being super aggressive but I can't tell you for sure.

6. You can usually ride city buses for free unless the driver is a real stickler (which some are). It's easier if you have a handful of change that you can drop in the box and say that's all you have. I've done it with twelve cents before and the driver begrudgingly let me on. It also helps if there are a lot of other people waiting for the bus because the driver will let you on for free just to keep the line moving.

The streetcar that passes through Capitol Hill, First Hill, the Central District, Chinatown, and Pioneer Square doesn't get a lot of use so I've never seen fare enforcement there. That's an easily walkable distance though so it's not super useful.

The Rapid Ride lines (yellow and red buses that have letter names instead of numbers) and the Light Rail both have checks where fare enforcement gets on at random stations and checks everyone. It doesn't seem to happen very frequently. but if they ask for your ticket and bus card and you don't have one, they'll ask for your ID and take your name down.

As I understand it, the first time is a warning but if you get caught again they can kick you off and write you a ticket. It's up to you whether you want to take that chance but I personally pay for the Light Rail and Rapid Rides when I take them because I want avoid trouble and can afford the $2-3 fare.

Hope that helps. Good luck! :)

Thank you.

S

storyofrachel

Another question: can I sleep on private property when there isn't a no trespassing sign? Not legally but like how it is in a lot of places where you can get away with sleeping in doorways.

D

Deleted member 20240

More seattle ?'s.
I've never been, and am planning to go for folk life. Figured it'd be a good place to start my trip and maybe meet up with some folks from stp. That being said, anyone who has any advice they think might be helpful would be greatly appretiated. Also, if you plan on being in the area around the 25th-28th and wanna meet up, let me know.

Doc Road

Reaction score
In the Seattle at moment,if your around still and wanna meet n wut not.

Ezra Fyre

Reaction score
Networking-for-Crash-Space... for those attending, a bit of former insider info. :: Many of Folk Life - performers, merchants, and simple goers live in Seattle and vicinity... Several of the bellydance/fire trupes have houses w/ sometimes available guest rooms and/houses with a yard.... While I cannot actually speak For any troupe/house-holder - i know some of these lovely folks are/can be amenable to travels needing couch/tent space... They can be a wonderfully giving and generally out going bunch - Try Getting to Know Some of Them. However, they are also a judgemental lot, so traveler would = Okay,. homeless, however, need NOT apply.... What's this case specific difference(s)?? Travelers = multi-talent/skilled individuals, open to working and/or barter, who happens to embrace a wandering, experience seeking, lifestyle. Aka, they're like minded and only staying temporarily. They fulfill plans they have, and they make more plans always looking towards the future. Homeless = thinks pan handling/occasional day labor counts as work, avoids showering & general hygiene, greatfull for a place to crash (moves in,) extended by lacking an intention to go anywhere else, unless forced, and then most likely back to streets. Mooches! taking food/toiletries/craft supplies beyond what was freely offered. Typically these folks are also lacking in useful/socially engaging skills/talents. They have no plans, no life to speak of, and no plans on doing anything to change this. None of the local-merchlperforms are looking to take on an extra dependant/appendage... But, as long as you fit Traveler status, you should be okay making friends/connections - AND you could be quite surprised how often "where are you staying?" comes up in general interesting conversation.

Can't make anyone's friends for them - but I know several worth making acquaintance with, and they will be at Folk Life....

What to do if reading this after Folk Life is over? ... Gasworks Park is often a home away from home for these performers. They're also regular performers/practice sessions around the local bar/club & small theaters scene.... Check the Stranger for upcoming events.

Hope it helps atleast some folks find a crash space amongst new friends. Good Luck & Enjoy the Festivals!!

BusGypsy

Reaction score
It's been cold and wet! How's everyone else in Seattle doin'?!

Doc Road

Reaction score
It's been cold and wet! How's everyone else in Seattle doin'?!
Hiya. Iv been here a hot minute since September, poast salmon season. Been indoors burning all my earnings. Lemme know if there's anything I can help with or just wanna kick it and talk about good times, ya know?

Reactions: Rhubarb Dwyer

BusGypsy

Reaction score
Yeah, mostly just wanna say hi. Yep, been staying in the bus, staying warm.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads