Santa Cruz (dos and donts?)

Amish

Reaction score
so wasnt quite sure on where to post this but wanted to make sure ppl are informed before making their way to santa cruz cause someone told them that they can make a crap load of money here
for one you can but it aint easy
there are a few laws you need to know about before going down to pacific ave so here they are

Display of Merchandise
Displaying merchandise on streets or
sidewalks is not permitted. Persons may
display their own original artwork.
SCMC 5.42.020

Anyone can perform on any of the publicly
owned sidewalks in the downtown area.
However, if a street performer places an
object on the sidewalk to collect contributions
(a "display device"), the performer must abide
by the same regulations for location and the
length of time of the performance as
noncommercial activities.
SCMC 5.43.020

Special Areas
Two areas near the Tom Scribner statue on
the 1500 block of Pacific Avenue traditionally
have been used by performers and others.
These areas have been designated as areas
exempt from the distance and time limits that
apply when using a display device.
If a performance requires a space larger than
4 ft by 6 ft or requires more than 20 minutes to
set up, permits may be obtained to reserve a
space.
Permits are free and applications are available
at Parks and Recreation, 323 Church St.
Sound Amplification
Sound amplification equipment is not allowed
without securing a permit from the police
department.
SCMC 9.40.010

PANHANDLING/SOLICITATION
Asking (with your voice or with a sign) for a
donation of money, food, cigarettes, or items
of value is considered panhandling/solicitation
and is regulated by time, place and manner.
Panhandling not allowed within 14 ft
• building
• street corner or intersection
• fence
• sidewalk café or kiosk
• bench, directory sign, drinking fountain,
public trash compactor, sculpture or
payphone
Panhandling not allowed within 50 ft
• bank or financial institution
• ATM or money changing machine
Panhandling is not allowed
• in bank parking lots
• while seated or leaning on a bench,
planter, monument, or other public
property
• on private property without permission
• from a vehicle or to a person in a
vehicle
• in a public bus or at bus stop.
Manner of panhandling prohibited
• in a group of two or more persons
• by using profane or abusive language
either during the solicitation or
following a refusal
• while under the influence of alcohol or
illegal drugs
• by coming within 3 ft. of the person
• by blocking the path of a person
• by following a person who walks away
• giving false or misleading information,
such as stating donation is for a need
that does not exist
Panhandling is not allowed after dark.
SCMC 9.10.010 – 9.10.060

Sitting on the Sidewalk
Sitting on the sidewalk is not permitted
within 14ft of the following:
• building
• street corner or intersection
• fence
• sidewalk café or kiosk
• bench, directory sign, drinking fountain,
public trash compactor, sculpture or
payphone
or within 50 ft.
• bank or financial institution
• machine
SCMC 9.50.012

Lying on the Sidewalk
Lying on the sidewalk is not permitted.
SCMC 9.50.011

Skateboard or Rollerskate
Skateboarding and rollerskating are not
allowed.
SCMC 10.36.041

Activities with Airborne Objects
Throwing any solid objects such as
hackysacks, frisbees, footballs, baseballs, or
other similar devices is not allowed.
SCMC 9.50.020

Conduct on Public Property
Walking, standing, or lying upon a bench,
drinking fountain, bike rack, trash receptacle,
street-tree planter, utility cabinet, railing,
planter, or any other public property not
designed for such purposes is not permitted.
SCMC 9.50.020

Dogs
For public safety reasons, dogs (even on
leashes) are not allowed on public property in
most of the downtown business district. All
dogs must be licensed and tagged.
SCMC 8.14.200–8.14.201.

Alcohol on Public Property
Drinking or possessing an open alcoholic
beverage in any public place or public way is
not allowed.
SCMC 9.12.020–9.12.070

DOWNTOWN
SCMC 9.50.012 PUBLIC PROPERTY
Lying on the Sidewalk Noise Curfew SCMC Sections 9.36.010–9.36.040
Lying on the sidewalk is not permitted. From 10 p.m. to 8 a.m., noise must be kept to
a minimum level.

Amish

Reaction score
Also for street performing.. if you use an open instrument case or anything that is used to collect tips you can only be in that spot for an hour then you must move 100 ft to a new location

• Useful
Reactions: Jone

Karalaine

Reaction score
lol is that from one of the pampflets the pigs give out there? ive spent a lot of time in santa cruz but never downtown, because i always ran into stupid juggalo townie kids. i kicked it on the west side for over a month. i was sort of wet brained and shwag so i just stole anything i wanted or needed. we raped the new safeway they put up a year ago on the west end of town, made out with a $400 bottle of crystal. lived behind it too on the dead tracks, god we were fucked up shitting where we ate and slept. but if u have sticky fingers and dont mind the karma, i never got caught and i lifted at least a hundred dollars worth of shit everyday. oh and u didnt add anything about the boardwalk, and well all there is to say is dont look like a dirty kid on the boardwalk and u wont be 86ed right away. if you walk around with ur eyes on the ground u can usually scrounge up enough tickets to get on at least one ride.

Reactions: Sydney

3t87

Reaction score
passed through there on my way to monterey bay and got 50$ kicked down at the trader joes while my buddy was in there using the bathroom, did'nt ask,dude just said some shit like you on the road, said yea, and just handed me 50$, but have heard from some folk that the spange there can be rather diffcult.

coaltrain26

Reaction score
haha i got 86'd off that boardwalk within 10 minutes....i made a scene cause i was a paying customer, when infact i stole a few postcards...i looked pretty dirty though. me and my roaddog just wanted to drink our beer on the boardwalk since your allowed to there, overheard cops bragging about beating up homeless kids, got warned to leave and did so.

Reactions: 40 Hands

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
yea santa cruz sucks i didnt make shit there its burned out.
no reason to stop there for very long its a nice place and all but it sucks for making money people just look at you like your a bum.

40 Hands

Reaction score
I really wana go to Santa Cruz. My freshman year in High School i lived in San Jose CA and would visit Santa Cruz atleast twice a month. This is really good info to know, seeing how i undoubtedly will go. I really look forward to seeing that old Santa Cruz HWY 17 again that winds all over the place. Beautiful road :p

Reactions: Mankini

Rolling Blackouts

Reaction score
At first glance, Yes, Santa Cruz is fucked.
Camping, squatting, spanging, busking, dumpstering, bus parking and trains - you're more/less out of luck.
If you come to Santa Cruz to Spange - good fucking luck. Better Hustle Harder kidz.
If you come to Busk - you're competing with a bunch of trustafarian college kids from UCSC who don't even need money, they just want to be hip.
And to my knowledge - there aren't any squats. Property values are too high for much to be abandoned nowdays.
SC has been tramped out - for a long, long time, and the local freight line is equivocally dead.
There are undercover agents (not joking) walking Pacific Ave frequently. Be Warned.
The tweakers are aggressive and the pigs are plentiful, and highly trained.

That being said, there's some mighty awesome venue and house shows (if you look for 'em)
The Bike Church (a volunteer bike co-op off Pacific Ave) is an unbeatable resource - effectively keeping the entire homeless population mobile. Subrosa (A) cafe is a good resource for free internet, $1 coffee, and helping give new kidz in town the heads up on whats down.
There's at least one daily bum feed and a weekly farmers market downtown (which takes F-stamps!)
But hitching North to SF or South to Monterey is ridiculously easy, and there are some absolutely epic beaches along each way.
Good luck folks - hope this helps.

Reaction score
I just got the funniest picture in my head of a bunch of people fighting over one 2 ft wide spot in the middle of the road to panhandle thats just far enough away from all of that stuff.

40 Hands

Reaction score

I feel like these are those several signs ya see in adventure / horror movies that say turn around...no im serious turn the fuck around...why wont you turn around?!, but im obviously about to learn the hard way.... Atleast theres a bit of foresight to this story lol.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
I feel like these are those several signs ya see in adventure / horror movies that say turn around...no im serious turn the fuck around...why wont you turn around?!, but im obviously about to learn the hard way.... Atleast theres a bit of foresight to this story lol.
Hey, its your ass in jail. You can't sleep anywhere and they fuckin raid the bridges.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
i like santa cruz...it's a pretty area...good skatepark ..nice beach .....just go out elsewhere to make yer money if yer flying signs or spangin..... anyone reading this ever rode that train between davenport and watsonville? i want to so bad...right down the middle of the fuckin street.... but yeah...

Reactions: 40 Hands

40 Hands

Reaction score
Dude im in it for the skate prospects. Earn money trimmin nor cal then pick up a santa cruz board from the OG shop and do all the pool skating (my fav) a guy could wish for. Sounds awesome to me, maybe ill even learn to surf or something, but i doubt it :p

K

Kim Chee

I usually go to all of the freeway overpasses and other chunks of concrete writing shit about how great Santa Cruz is so all of the shitstains leave town.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
anyone reading this ever rode that train between davenport and watsonville? i want to so bad...right down the middle of the fuckin street.... but yeah...
Yes, I have dozens of times bryan. 10 mph the whole way everytime from start to finish. The train leaves Watsonville and crawls to Aptos where the crew usually ties it down or leaves one of the crew on board and hits the nearest coffee shop for breakfast. Then back on the move to through the boardwalk to either the Y near the end of the boardwalk if they have a set out for the short line that runs up towards roaring camp or they'll highball to Davenport., I can't remember the name of the company they interchange with at the moment. They set out the remainder of their train in Davenport and pick up the cars there at the cement factory waiting for them, run around their train and back to Watsonville. It's a short distance and takes 5+ hours usually. I was the engineer on that local for about a year, it was the last assignment I held before hanging it up with Uncle Pete the cheat. That rail is all shot to hell, not as bad as the hollister line but not much better. Theres a stretch of undulations that really get your blood flowing with all loads on a rainy day. The eucalyptus trees that drape over the rail secrete an oily discharge from the leaves or branches overhead that grease the rails so when you have a short train fully loaded with one piece of shit sd-40 on the head end with no dynamics, you're in for the ride of your life. Keeping that train at 10mph is no small task on those undulating hills. I've got up to 22 mph at some points which, 10mph over is to be considered a run away train, my conductor had his filthy mittens on the red handle saying he was going to plug it, I gave him the stink eye and he eased off it. That's such a short stretch where you're over speed you just have to try your best to get it under control but to plug it would make so much work for the conductor and time subtracted from an early quit. Not to mention it would flag my tapes and I'd have to explain myself to some MRO (manager of road operations) who knows fuck all about that rail, never ran on it but still would be jamming me up on my train handling none the less. Anyway, it's a pretty ride and one to be seen for sure. Though, as I recall the UP was in negotiations with the shortline to sell that line to them so I'm not sure if they even still run from Watsonville to Davenport, anyone confirm? deny?

Reactions: bryanpaul

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads