San Francisco, CA

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
Before going any further, please be aware that I do not advocate spending your Federal Reserve notes to support this establishment. Until yesterday, I hadn't been in a McD for roughly 20 yrs. I share this info to avoid comments leading to broader politics. I did my part all week, lifting hot food from Whole Splooge next door.

Woke up in Golden Gate Park yesterday. Needed coffee and Wifi and a toilet. The library wasn't open until 1pm. I also couldn't afford to pay $3-4 for a drip coffee at the shops here. So, I sucked up my pride and went to Mickey D's.

Here, you can buy a small coffee for $1(plus tax) and get free wifi for as long as you want. There is a sign warning folks not to hang out longer than 30 mins, but no one enforced it.

SAVE YOUR RECEIPT! You will need it to use the bathroom. There is always a guard on duty to let you in.

You will also need your receipt to get one free refill for the road.

CAUTION: After you order your refill, they will take your receipt, so make sure you check in with the guard before ordering. I noticed he lets folks come back all day.

D

Deleted member 20

I think effectively using fastfood chains for their resource value is something all new travelers need to learn. I know that this specific Wackonalds is blown up with lots of homebums. I have been to that spot before & the place is like the walking dead with zombies everywhere.

The basics are still the same anywhere. One should always retain their receipt to avoid harassment for loitering. The trick with all of life is not to make yourself a large target. Many successful shelter homebums try to stay clean & I have even seen some with briefcases. it takes a trained eye to figure out these types. That being said no self respecting traveler or cleancut homebum is gonna wanna hang there. I would choose facilities off of the beaten path of local homeless or ghetto populations. I see fast food as a necessary evil while traveling. Its often easier to get fed when you are posted up near a cheap fast food place with electricity, wifi & a bathroom.

The reality is that the basic infrastructure is used by low income types all over the globe. Most of us need a place to chill & charge our devices. The good thing about being a sane traveler is that almost everyone knows the difference between a crazy humbum & a traveler. I think its in the eyes, really. The eyes of a traveler are usually friendly, jovial & full of hope & desires. Homebums have none of that & usually mumble to themselves & growl at people.

I dont mind eating that shit once in awhile. In fact I eat at fast food places often on the road. Who am I to argue with how convenient & accepted it is for a traveler to simply exist there. The staff are usually just drones who hate their own lives, hate their job & have utter disdain for their corporate employers.

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Banned
Reaction score
The reality is that the basic infrastructure is used by low income types all over the globe. Most of us need a place to chill & charge our devices. The good thing about being a sane traveler is that almost everyone knows the difference between a crazy humbum & a traveler. I think its in the eyes, really. The eyes of a traveler are usually friendly, jovial & full of hope & desires. Homebums have none of that & usually mumble to themselves & growl at people.

Indeed. It's always my intention to take advantage of NOT being an annoying homebum. The cops are usually easier to deal with when you're not doing anything really stupid.

I've been sitting in this McDumpster's for 2.5 hrs. The staff has been friendly, including the guard who already kicked out three motherfuckers since I got here. One lovely woman even offered to clean the restroom for me before I stunk it up.

Reactions: Mankini

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads