salutations from ny, where all is slushy.

barnaclebones

Reaction score
My name's jo. Girl jo, as i've been called ever since the jerkstore in baltimore.

just sayin my introduction piece. i heard about squattheplanet YEARS ago from Matt Pist (hi matt!!!) when i lived with his girlfriend at the time.

I'm tryin to head south from Ithaca soon... might just drive my truck to baltimore where it's a few degrees warmer and make a break for florida, where i'm tryinta get work crewing on a sailboat to the caribbean. chasing summer... so anywho... I'm new. So hi.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
Whatever you do, when you're down in FL, never accept an opened beer from a shrimper! Especially if it's shrimp season...

Unless of course you like working for free on shrimp boats...

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
whoa. do you speak from experience?!

My friend Terry. We were both working at the same pizza joint, got our last deliveries for the night, his was going to the local shrimp docks. As a "tip" they gave him a beer. We were both 19 at the time, so a free beer? Hell yeah.

Turn out it was laced with something, and he passed out a few seconds after finishing it. They threw him in the boat, took all of his money, and forced him to work on the boat for three days. He escaped while they were unloading their catch.

He reported it, but nobody believed him. Come to think of it, I only believed him because I saw his car at the docks while he was missing. Terry is prone to disappearing for a few days at a time, so nobody really thought anything of it...

The shrimpers out by me are a bunch of dirtbags anyway, for the most part. Most of those guys spend all of their money on meth, coke, heroin and booze. They wire up on the meth and coke to give them the energy to work, then use the junk and booze to fall asleep...

Then they give you crap about how they work for a living, but meanwhile their old lady pays the rent, bills and buys food....

barnaclebones

Reaction score
YIKES!!! good tip. thats fucking nuts. i have a friend who signed up to work on a tug in NOLA when he was blacked out... woke up in his berth before departure and just kinda... decided to go with it. he got paid though. That's so nuts!!!

On that note... have you ever read The Sea Wolf by Jack London? same premise... a ferry sinks on its way from san fran to sausalito and one guy loses consciousness... never gets yanked into a rescue boat. when he comes to, a sealing vessel on its way to japan spots him, brings him aboard and he's held captive and forced to work as the cook after the cook is murdered by the captain. GOOOD BOOK. read it.

Wolfeyes

Reaction score
YIKES!!! good tip. thats fucking nuts. i have a friend who signed up to work on a tug in NOLA when he was blacked out... woke up in his berth before departure and just kinda... decided to go with it. he got paid though. That's so nuts!!!

On that note... have you ever read The Sea Wolf by Jack London? same premise... a ferry sinks on its way from san fran to sausalito and one guy loses consciousness... never gets yanked into a rescue boat. when he comes to, a sealing vessel on its way to japan spots him, brings him aboard and he's held captive and forced to work as the cook after the cook is murdered by the captain. GOOOD BOOK. read it.

That does sound like a good read. I'll have to track down a copy second hand or from BAM. I'm kinda in trouble with he public library system at the moment...:blush:

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Dang!Everybody heading south,and here I am dreaming of snow up to my hips.Different strokes.............

barnaclebones

Reaction score
aw, lee.. i do like snow. the problem is that i get stagnant in the winter time.. without a house of my own to be workin on, i'd rather be sailing! and i'm almost officially leaving on the 3rd of January for St Thomas in the USVI to work on a boat! yahoo!

psychoviolinist

Reaction score
the only accurate location is australia :p
thought id stick my head and say hi all official like :p
so boo!
i wish it snowed here more places :p you have to go into the ranges to get to it and id love to go more often. though if i had to deal with it everyear i might get sick of it too :p

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads