Relationships & the road

JungleBoots

Reaction score
im not sure what to think about relationships with people while im travling. but i dont travel very much so its never become something i really thought about. that and im not a very committal person. so i dont really look for long lasting relationships

what concerns me more though is family, i mean that counts as a relationship right... relatives. its kind of a burning question for me because of anyone on the earth its my parents and my brothers that i love the most. and to go off without a word without them knowing whats up or where im at makes me feel really fucking horrible.

how do you hardcore travelers deal with your separation from family when on the road? if its even an issue.

JungleBoots

Reaction score
yeah, really though most of my friends are my family, i guess thats why im so stuck on staying in one place most of the time. and one place that is close to them.

Rash L

Reaction score
ever since the beginning of time (or since I was 16) i always felt guilty leaving my mom to travel since its always been me and her against the rest of the world (single parent and only child). when I leave she makes me call regularly to make sure I'm alright... and I know she is CONSTANTLY worrying about me, so I still tend to feel a little guilty when I leave, but I have to live my own life. All of my other family probably wouldnt even know if I died unless my mom told them; they dont matter much.

JungleBoots

Reaction score
pretty much the same... i mean i love my distant family members, but the onyl ones i really care about are my bros and my parents.

JahDucky

Reaction score
I just saw this and it made me think of this thread immediately:

RevRunWisdom

There's no such thing as a long distance relationship if u keep ur hearts close :)

madewithpaint

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
one thing you should never do in a traveling relationship...
hitch out without saying goodbye and leave your significant other to be trapped with responsibilities back at home.

is it safe to say he left me? some advice would be much appreciated... i don't know if i'm single or not!

rootboy

Reaction score
Website
www.damoclash.nl
I have had more difficulties traveling together with my loved one then alone.
Especially if you find that the relationship you have at home was so easy and uncomplicated in comparison to the life on the road. And then the difficulties of traveling start to bug you both and before you know it you have more fights in a week then you would have in a year at home.

Maybe I am just bad at hanging out with one person for extended periods of time, even if it is the one I love most at that moment.

But what do you do? I found it really difficult to tell my Girl at some point: 'you go right, I go left, and we'll meet up again later when we are both back home' for several reasons:
1) I am worried stiff all the time if she is alright
2) When comes the point of separation? After two fights? after 100 fights? You don;t know what is around the corner and maybe we are just sour of not enough sleep and bad food all the time. If tomorrow brings us a great sleepingplace, some rest and some decent food, all problems might disappear really quickly!
3) and practical: what do you do with the things you share: you get the stove, I get the opinel so we both can't cook anymore? Our two person tent? Worthless and to heavy for one of us…

but this might be a different problem all together...

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads