Quick quiz on your ecological effect. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Quick quiz on your ecological effect.

Plants dont comprehend their existence, and have no central nervous system. Plants can be eaten at sustainable rates with no bloodshed. Plants are also in a separate kingdom, which is why i dont understand people constantly saying that. Eating animals is ecologically unsustainable in capitalism, and immoral without it. Don't cause unnecessary suffering.

F

FrumpyWatkins

But plants are still living creatures, no matter how you classify it. You're saying that if they can't feel anything it is OK to take advantage of it. The only way to eat without killing is gleaning, but then you kill the microscopic organisms with your stomach acids. I'm not discussing this anymore. I didn't bring this up to start an argument, I was just sharing my opinion.

T

trangus

i think that eating anything is ok, if u appreciate the life u r sharing. cant take anything because everything in the universe is conscious of life and even moves. if u dont believe me watch a plant move its branches to catch more light. just be thankful. death is part of life. just dont buy food.
food not bombs, cuz food should be free!

Bendixontherails

Reaction score
amen, trangus. I eat whatever I find. I don't pay for meat, dairy, or eggs, so I don't feel I help to perpetuate the system.j

I eat whatever i find as well, i simply dont kill to get it. I dont eat dumpstered meat for health reasons. Road kill is fine. If you can survive without causing suffering, why not do it?

C

Code Name Mary

I got 8 footprints or 1.8 planets. It was the food that got me, I think because I eat meat almost every day due to it's Iron content, but it is locally raised. ( I am currently anemic and nursing)so hopefully once this anemia BS goes away I can erase a foot print or so.

C

Code Name Mary

trangus wrote:
i think that eating anything is ok, if u appreciate the life u r sharing. cant take anything because everything in the universe is conscious of life and even moves. if u dont believe me watch a plant move its branches to catch more light. just be thankful. death is part of life. just dont buy food.
food not bombs, cuz food should be free!

word

“What about plants?”

There is currently no reason to believe that plants experience pain because they are devoid of central nervous systems, nerve endings, and brains. It is theorized that animals are able to feel pain so that they can use it for self-protection purposes. For example, if you touch something hot and feel pain, you will learn from the pain that you should not touch that item in the future. Since plants cannot move from place to place and do not need to learn to avoid certain things, this sensation would be superfluous. From a physiological standpoint, plants are completely different from mammals. Unlike animals’ body parts, many perennial plants, fruits, and vegetables can be harvested over and over again without dying.

If you are concerned about the impact of vegetable agriculture on the environment, you should know that a vegetarian diet is better for the environment than a meat-based one, since the vast majority of grains and legumes raised today are used as feed for cattle. Rather than eating animals, such as cows, who must consume 16 pounds of vegetation in order to convert them into 1 pound of flesh, you can save many more plants’ lives (and destroy less land) by eating vegetables directly.

So thats why, and if you want more specifics listen to a few of these...
http://www.myspace.com/veganisminanutshell

Any person who is concerned with
A. Their own health
B. The Environment
C. Alleviating suffering
or D. Humyn rights
at least take the things discussed on that site into consideration.
Sorry for the delayed response i didnt see someone posted after me. I am a freegan as well, and as long as your not buying into the system that creates that kind of opression I think its fine. Unhealthy, but fine.

Post edited by: Mady, at: 2007/05/20 21:53

Post edited by: Mady, at: 2007/05/20 21:54

G

Grace

Eh, I feel like that's justification. Part of living a vegan lifestyle, if you're doing it because of principles, is that you don't consume animals or animal byproducts. I understand that trashed food is wasted food, but by diet alone, it doens't make you a vegan. It makes you an omnivore. But that's cool, because I eat cheesesteaks at least once a week, and I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to murder a cow myself given the chance. So we're all hypocrites really.

B

Bathtub666

FrumpyWatkins wrote:
Sorry to piss all the Vegans and the like off, but as humans we were meant to be omnivores. We are the top predator on planet earth, and yes we should protect our habitat but this idea of eating limited types of food is totally unhealthy. To lead a truly successful life, a balanced diet needs to be achieved. I know you can get the necessaries from things other then meat but humans were designed to get energy from meat. When you are born your primal instincts tell you "meat", however your mind might think otherwise and choose alternate routes. (It is the same thing with homosexuality, humans were meant to be heterosexual, it is how we procreate and nature's way of keeping our species alive. However this does not mean I have any type of problem with homosexuals or vegetarians nor are these practices wrong.) I do however disagree with the way meat is gathered and meat products are produced. I try to eat as little meat as possible and when I do, it is free range organic. But against my point, when we have high populations of humans and they all eat meat, this screws up the food chain because so much transferred energy is wasted, so a balanced healthy diet. Fast food and processed food are the downfall of our current society hunger/niche wise.

I don't really agree with this. If we, as humyns, were designed to be omnivorous then why do we incur so many health problems from meat (i.e. cholesterol)? And why does meat need to be cooked for us to digest? Sure, no one knows knows exactly the genesis of human evolution, but speaking as an athiest I do not believe we fell out of the sky with fire in our hands and a how-to-guide on grilling. If you really believe that we are natural omnivours, then the next time you feel hungry you can get your knife, track and catch a pig and see if your teeth can tear through the skin, or if your digestive system can even process the meat raw. I am not a militant vegetarian, and I do indulge in milk and eggs and whatnot, but to go as far as to say that nature designed us to be omnivorous is simply not the case. The facts are simply against you.

F

FrumpyWatkins

Bathtub666 wrote:
FrumpyWatkins wrote:
Sorry to piss all the Vegans and th... the case. The facts are simply against you.

What is so hard to understand that we are predators? Thousands creatures eat meat and we happen to be one of them, deal with it! Also the only reason we cook meat is cause the Apes that we evolved from ate raw meat as did early bipedal homo like species. Once fire was discovered, meat was able to be cooked making it easier for humans to eat and overtime became the way of eating meat. If other animals could harness fire they would cook meat too. Sticking to a non meat diet is simply preposterous, without meat it's almost impossible to gain weight for building muscle mass unless you're taking insane amounts of protein. Cholesterol is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, DON'T EAT MEAT AT EVERY MEAL! It's all about balanced diets. Also I am totally against the practices currently in use for butchering meat, I choose to eat free range products.

BALANCED DIET
BALANCED DIET
BALANCED DIET

G

Grace

Not to open up the whole discussion on meat eating or anything but...

If our meat wasn't packaged, and came much fresher, we would probably be able to digest it raw. In Switzerland, they eat raw beef all the damn time without cooking it and its disgusting.

Meat is a wonderful source of protein, but there are many other ways to get the same amount of protein (if not the same kind) not using the same methods.

What we should really be pissed off about is the fact that synthetic growth hormones are in almost all the meat that we eat, and that our anthropogenic impact on the planet has made it such that being a person not relying on natural processing is healthier. That is, to say, being a vegetarian who eats nothing but locally grown grains, vegetables and fruit is less likely to injest unwanted, yucky yucky chemicals.

Dillinger

Reaction score
being a vegan for a long time i decided i finnally wanted a burger but didnt want to support anything like massacering innocent animals so i decided to eat one of my paralized friends' legs while he was sleeping. i justifyed it saying he couldnt feel it (or say anything so long as i wasn't seen). he never knew and i continued being a vegan, eating living things that can't feel or say anything about what you're doing. . . life is good.
=)

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
That quiz doesn't really make sense with permacampers. I have no electricity, gas, or running water, and I don't have much clue with what kind of mileage I rack up either. Dumpstered meat really depends on if you have a good nose- I keep telling people to smell everything they eat, because your nose will figure out what makes you sick... but I still don't know about raw meat. I guess Swiss people are gross.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads