Questions on Richmond, VA.

crumb

Reaction score
I will be heading down to Richmond soon. I live about 80 miles away and figured I'll walk. It shouldn't be a problem, I'm used to walking long distances. The only thing is that I don't know much places in Richmond to sleep outside. Where I won't get fucked with by jackasses or cops. I Know the area pretty well, I've just never really walked around with crashing spots on my mind.

Also, does anybody know where a food bank is in the area? I would apply for food EBT's but VA sucks and you need to have a residence in order to meet the requirements. I know they do food not bombs in Monroe Park every Sunday, I think? I know where some alright dumpsters are just by word of mouth. But I need help with the other things.

So yea, if anybody could give me some info, it would be greatly appreciated.

M

Mouse

you can get EBT easy in RVA all you need is a friend that will let you use their address to have the card mailed to. tell them you're homeless and they'll hook you up with the quickness. I'm sure in no time you'll meet some cool kids who will invite you to their crib, just be polite and ask them if you can get soem mail sent there.

food is easy in town. FNB is every sunday still I think. they have extra stuff for you to take most of the time. find yourself a tupperware cup and stock up. as for food banks, ask any local homebum in Monroe Park and you'll get directions. I know of a few of them but it's been so long I can't remember the addresses. Churches ovbiously, so when in doubt, go ask a church-goer.

as for sleeping outside.. there's tons of places. Just escape campus areas for sure or you'll be fucked with. Try Bell Isle at night. I've passed out drunk many a night on the rocks in plain sight and never got messed with. When I was there this past week I stopped at the 7-11 on campus near the sports fields - there's an empty rowhouse near by that I think it still sleepable. it's obvious fo ranyone knowing what they are looking for.

richmond is an amazing town. Go to shows, meet some kids, have a good time! stay posi and it'll be great!

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
you can sleep basically anywhere in Richmond, there are many rooftops with fire escapes, security in hollywood cemetery is effectively non-existent after 6pm or so, you might want to steer clear or Monroe Park due to police presence but any other park (Abner Clay, Holly St, geometry park, etc...) should be fine.

cops don't go to texas beach, if you go down franklin until it hits the church hill with the soldier monument up top, there's an abandoned gas plant or something with big open fields and nice buildings.

I really don't think you'll have any problems. Do a search for RICHMOND under destinations for a short tour of cool places.

xsjado

Reaction score
if you really wanted to you could go down south laurel st in oregon hill and ask around im pretty sure you could get adopted by someone, people around there are pretty chill with travelers.

crumb

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, your replies are a big help.

Thirtydollarbill- I read that thread you posted about Richmond, it's packed with information and got some mad funny parts.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads