Photos Quartzsite > Austin > Roswell > ABQ > Flagstaff > Colorado > Moab in pictures

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Not really a story, just some pics! :D

So off i go. The RTR was great, and i met a lot of great fucking people, but i had been there for 2 weeks and after my phone getting stolen out of my truck, i thought it was about time to shove-off.

RTR morning briefing
20170111_100304.jpg

Ad from Tina
20170118_210942.jpg

"Where the fuck am i going next?" I thought to myself while driving past the quartzsite gem show. Flagstaff is too cold, and the slabs were about the same as quartzsite.....then i remembered i had a friend is Austin, TX i had not seen in a while.

Thoughts raced through my mind.
"It's too far"
"your little Yota won't make it"
"Yes it will, you pussy! Go for it"
"do I have the gas?"
"you just got a tax return! Duh!"
"I HAVE never been to Texas..."
"But do you WANT to go to Texas?!"
"Not really..."
"Fuck it?"
"Fuck it!"

I love the heart-to-heart conversations I have with myself.

So I drive. Through Phoenix, Tucson, Las Cruces, El Paso, and finally....to Austin. Never thought it was as big as it actually is.

Austin Skyline at night
20170120_220420.jpg

I meet up with my friend and stay at his apartment for a few weeks. We have a great time. Party on 6th street. Go down to Corpus Christy and San Padre Island...all the great so-TX stuff.

360 bridge
20170122_160129.jpg

Rail tressle
20170123_133726.jpg

White Lightning enjoying the Texas coastline
20170128_172523.jpg

Jemma, my friends puppy, after a bath
20170205_145858.jpg

Austin was nice, but defineitly time to GtFO of TX. Me and White Lightning (my toytoa) head across the wide open, and unfogiving wasteland of west Texas (dangerous for us hippie-loving liberals).

Somewhere outside of Brown-Stain-Field, TX i start to feel some power loss and hesitation on accel in my truck (that cant be good), so i buy a can of Sea Foam and hope for the best.

WRONG!

I break down 25 miles outside Roswell, NM and after much kicking and cursing, get my truck towed into the Wal Mart. Aliens man, I swear to God.

Tried to fix it, and after much time in O'Reilly, decide that My only option Is to store my truck and start hitching in order to get to my job in Moab, UT on time.

Off I go, AGAIN. But this time only with the essentials, one work uniform, and my Bouzouki.

20170214_180827.jpg

From Roswell, I get a ride with a retired bat scientist who offers me a job caving and counting bats. Then a ride to a place called Lincoln, NM where Billy the Kid made a famous jail escape ( I REALLY wants to squat that old jailhouse, but didn't).

And then to an awesome place called Capitan, NM where Smokey the Bear (The real bear who was made into a Forest Service icon) was found and saved from a wildfire (this shit is fucking interesting to me because I'm a Park Ranger). Alot is going on in middle NM, apparently.

Then I get a ride to Socorro, NM and camp by the Rio Grand, and head up to Belen in the hope of catching a train.

Abandoned caboose in Socorro
20170216_175515.jpg

After sitting outside the yard for a while I decide that I have WAY too much shit to hop a train, and spring the last of my money for a Amtrak to Flagstaff. (If I can't hop one, I'm sure as hell at least gonna ride one).

After seeing my Mom in Flagstaff, I head to to Sedona to do some hiking, and end up squatting in this abandoned resort down by the creek, due to the torrential rains, which end up taking out the highyway i was planning on hitching back to flagstaff.

Sedona view
20170226_181117.jpg

Squat
20170228_103657.jpg

And then, through the rez and up to Durango, after getting a ride straight between the two places by a nice Zuni lady who stops to get us some frybread and mutton along the way.

San Francisco peaks from the rez
20170311_123531.jpg

Durango is awesome, as always. I win a pool tournament at Orio' s and spend the money on drinks (as always).

Durango pic
20170311_173905.jpg

I'm out! Time to hit some hot springs in Rico, CO on my way to Moab. The local bar in Rico (population 50) is colorful, and full of drunks who make great food!

Rico hot springs
20170314_110028.jpg

Worst damn hitching of my life South out of Rico to Moab, but still make it in one day.

Wilson Arch from the back of a moving pickup
20170314_181454.jpg

Now I am sitting by the creek in Moab with beer in hand, waiting for my job to start in a couple days. I'M HOUSED UP AND EMPLOYED, NICCA!

Attachments

• 20170226_181117.jpg
    20170226_181117.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 20170311_173905.jpg
    20170311_173905.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
For some reason StP will not allow me to upload any pictures with my face in them. I have tried multiple pics. None work. Huh....

Dmac

Reaction score
Very Cool, thanks for sharing. What will you be doing in Moab?

Reactions: todd

Coywolf

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Dmac I work as a park ranger in Canyonlands National Park.

@todd Yes, never did find her......

Reactions: Dmac and todd

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads