Punks and Marriage

Spinelli

Reaction score
So whats yer guys thoughts on being progressive and married? I know alot of married punks and some activists that are or are getting married. I'm kind of a do as ya please guy, I think you could make yer marriage non-typical but maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

M

Mouse

it's only a business contract. if i was with someone for years and years and there was an opp for me to maybe get health insurance or something else out of marrying them, then yes. But otherwise, I'd stay unwed at all costs.

I was "married" at one point and it didn't last very long. I loved him enough to do it. but that wasn't how he saw it apparently. we weren't legally married. luckily! cuz it woulda been hell to get that shit fixed after he ruined my life enough already.

so, i say, don't sign a contract until you've been together for at least 10 years, have kids, or need health care.

Dillinger

Reaction score
Completely Agree With Mouse. . .

I was with this girl for 6 years and we got "married" - non legally - with but a promise and a diy tattoo of a heart on our fingers. I thought you know I'm an 18 year old boy why the Fuck have (or how) I been with this girl for so long at such a young age, I should be humping anything with legs. So we did that. The rad neo-hippie way. (seeing as how any other way is just for Christians or for benefits) Needless to say she's no longer a part of me, and yeah, happy it wasn't legal cos of all the shit you Do go through to get out of it but I mean... the fuck is a ring and paper? it's the feeling thats real.

Labea

Reaction score
yea i dont see a point in 'marriage', if i wanted to be with someone for the rest of my life i wouldnt need a diamond or a peice of paper to feel secure. but im down with the whole mutual love and unofficial marriage in the woods on acid thing. more power to the people who can stick with it when the going gets rough.

my mom has been married 4 times. kids and marriage are not in my near future.

M

Mouse

the only thing that really hurt was when people would ask me if we were legally married and I'd say No they'd be like "oh, well, it doesn't count then" and brush it off. Sorry, fuckers, but it sure as hell counted TO ME otherwise I wouldn't have done it. Just cuz you don't sign a piece of paper doesn't mean it means nothing

S

SeymourGlass

i've seen too many marriages thrown down the drain throughout my life and it's just not something i'm interested in. you don't need expensive jewelry and a court document to prove you're in love with someone. just live together, be together, learn from each other and have fun.

kai

Reaction score
in Canada if you live with your partner for more then 6 months you become common-law spouses which albeit is not a bonafide marriage it still counts and I know that it is legally binding to certain point, specifics I am however not sure.

Spinelli

Reaction score
I dunno myself, I spose for the health care or something. I agree if ya love someone ya love 'em, but I'm not really against it either, I'm kinda a sucker a hopeless romantic do anything for a girl kinda guy which is probably bad.

Reactions: Kamil

Dillinger

Reaction score
Well if I've been playing music and living with this kid for about 3 years I think maybe perhaps they could assume we're a bit shy and what we do is our business type deal. Living together for that long and going everywhere together and shit, I mean yeah a lot of people do that but I think you could easily point a finger and say, "Hmm, Yeah.... they're probably lovers."
=)
I got plenty of rad girl-friends who would probably be down for that too. Mayyyyybe.
^_~

Reactions: Kamil
V

valuetravel

hmm.. i agree with you all that its pretty much bullshit especially since the divorce rate is over 50% of marriages. but i also think theres something great about binding a commitment to another human being under a written contract. if it was some one you really knew you would spend the rest of your life with. not just a wim. just a thought. devil advocate really...by the way i posted this little family because i think it looks nice and i wouldnt mind that one day.

Spinelli

Reaction score
Some are just not cut out for kids. I love my extended family. I have forged my own brothers and sisters and have the love of my life, but I could not see myself having kids. Maybe a nice warm house and a loving partner, but minus the kid.

H

hellomonday

whenever i see that picture above, it makes me think of the book the glass castle by jeanette walls. its a really crazy book and its actually a true story about a little girl and her family, they end up having to travel a lot, living out of thier car. not beceause they want to though, more so because they have to.

S

spaz1972

me and my lover talked about, we agreed to keep it simple, use the word marrige as a fusing of the two metals. get D.I.Y. tattos or something too(kinda my idea, but shes into it) why should i get a piece of paper that says how i love someone?? thats pathetic. the words that i use to describe how i feel about my lover will never fit on thier papers. fuck paper! lol. :shock:

S

Seija

The Glass Castle = a very good book.

As for my views? It would feel nice to be connected to someone, whether it be legally or not. Have a set of arms to fall asleep in and a decent place to live -- I'm set for life. Well, maybe throw a few animals in there. =)

O

Oaksey

Seija said:
The Glass Castle = a very good book.

As for my views? It would feel nice to be connected to someone, whether it be legally or not. Have a set of arms to fall asleep in and a decent place to live -- I'm set for life. Well, maybe throw a few animals in there. =)

do you have a copy of it? i couldnt find it on slsk or piratebay.
PM me if you can help, it sounds interesting.

L

Lycanhardcore

I think I'd probably be down for solidifying something of a "spiritual connection" with another person - or several other people. Not even necessarily people that I'm attracted to sexually. I am as far from monogamous, however, as a person can get - and I honestly think that the DIY marriages that people are talking about in this thread are supersweet, too. Maybe not for me, but I like it.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads