providence, RI

hkbenj

Reaction score
anybody else here? around here? or used to be around here? or has anything relatively interesting to contribute pertaining to this weird place? i live here now. anything good i should check out that i don't know about already? or does anyone nearby wanna hang out? i feel like this was a good place to be about ten years ago...still, every few months i keep stumbling across very well hidden good people and good spaces doing good things, so well hidden around here though for some reason...everyone stays holed up.
on a related note, anyone ever passing through is always welcome to crash with me :)

I

IBRRHOBO

tramped thru on a couple of excursions up to maine. u have a couple of csx that service worcester and boston daily thru there. way i remember it was amtrack had like 3 or 4 trax and one for sure was always dedicated to freight. we camped and squatted a lot w/little hassle. used to gather round @ providence place.

Good Hunting! :drinking:

hassysmacker

Reaction score
I want to bump this post, and see if anyone knows anything interesting about this city as its someplace I'll visit while bumming around the NE.

Cool places? People? squats? punk/hippie houses/parks where travellers hang out? What's up with Providence?

Beyond The Sun

Reaction score
Yeah I grew up in the area, but I haven't lived there for a few years, so shit's obviously changed.
As far as places, there used to be a bunch of spaces for shows and what not, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the cool ones got shut down. There's still as220 ( AS220.ORG ) which generally has good things going on. There's a food not bombs I think, at least there used to be. It used to be in Newport, but I think it moved to Providence, if it's still around. There's Armageddon Record Shop which has some cool shit. I think it's partly owned by one of the guys from Dropdead.
Check out Thayer St. while you're up there. It's up on College Hill near the Brown and RISD campuses. A lot of stores and shit, but if you're into panhandling, I'm pretty sure that's the place to do it. Not sure exactly what the laws are, so you may want to look into that. There used to be some decent dumpsters around there by Au Bon Pain, but I don't even know if that exists there anymore.
On the east side (where Thayer st./college hill is) there's an abandoned train tunnel that runs under college hill with an old train bridge permanently stuck up. I know a few years back on one end they sealed up the entrance and put in a parking lot, and I think they might have sealed up the other entrance. It's worth finding out though, cause it seemed like it was always a battle for the city to keep the thing sealed up. That's fun to explore.
As far as people, they're there, I'm not sure who still lives in the area. But if you're out and about there's a good chance you'll run into someone. I do feel weird dropping names on the internet of people I haven't talked to in years who may or may not be in the area. But there are good people there. Or at least there were.
Try and find Prospect Park, it's located on college hill as well, and it offers some really nice views of the city.
But yeah, find people to show you around cause there's definitely some cool things going on there, I'm just out of the loop at this point. Wish I could help you more.

hkbenj

Reaction score
well ive been living here for a minute since i posted this, so ill just put it out there that if anyone is passing thru PM me, i like to think i gotta grip on whats going on around here now so ill show you around and possibly house you up for a night or 2 if need be.

jon

Reaction score
Website
www.jonproulx.com
I also grew up around Providence and lived there for a while a while back. For music currently (besides AS220) there's Club Hell and Jerky's on Rathbone Street, Firehouse 13 also has shows but I haven't been there personally. I could list off a bunch of localish punk/hardcore/drunk rock bands if yer into that too.

H.P. Lovecraft is buried in the the Swan Point cemmetary off Blackstone Blvd. on the eastside, try and look him up.

There's also the Bus tunnel that cuts under college hill from Thayer St to N. Main. It is active use, with subway like lack of clearance right down to the little wall alcoves to try and duck in before you get hit, but makes a good short cut after the buses stop.

I'm a bit far now to comment on dumpsters or squats though.

And everything was always better 10 years ago, don't believe that golden age shit.

hkbenj

Reaction score
I'm a bit far now to comment on dumpsters or squats though.

there are so many sick squats waiting to be cracked here. but anyone who's already done that here and is livin the dream is, and with good reason, super quiet about it if you dont, you know, KNOW know them. that kind of thing gets stamped out quick here if you let people get wind of it. happened at least once this summer. but it is going on and it can be done.

dumpsters - trader joe's in pawtucket. and au bon pain up on thayer. SO. MANY. MUFFINS. and olga's bakery...closes relatively early, something like 4pm? incredible gourmet bakery, tons of amazing bread. my personal favorite is these huuuge fucking loaves with giant olives baked into them. oh man. i think i might bike over there right now.

MattyFoto

Reaction score
I wanted to try and revive this topic and hopefully get some help.

I am a Providence based freelance photojournalist and I am interested on telling the story of a squatter (or group of squatters) in my city. I have been interested in squats/squatters since learning of them back when I was a kid going to punk and hardcore shows in Boston.

I now live in Providence and have been working as a photographer for over 4 years. This idea came to me when thinking of how Providence has been dealing with the economic crisis. There are homes being foreclosed left and right, and I figure that some of them are probably still being occupied not to mention the empty mill buildings. I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to chat about your experiences and if you may be open to being photographed.

If you are interested then send me a PM or just reply on here. I can send you a link to my website and more information about myself if you want to confirm who I am and we can take it from there.

Subsick

Reaction score
I'm living in North Providence now. I spend most free time in North Attleboro/Attleboro but I'd be down to hang. I haven't explored this city much so I don't have any info...yet!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads