Prepaid Phones | Squat the Planet

Prepaid Phones

compass

Lost
Reaction score
Any experience, advice, reccomendations? I don't need tons of minutes, just an easy way to make contacts every now and then.

dirty_rotten_squatter

Reaction score
I have one, they can be a bit troublesome every now and then, if you try to fill up your minutes wrong and they dont load you get no refund other than that if you know what you are doing its perfect for traveling with you can find minutes pretty much anywhere and it works with your schedule when you want minutes and how much you want to spend. I reccomend it.

DIAMONDRAILS

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Compass you might wanna check out the program www.safelinkwireless.com or check out the freecell phone and air time thread in the link section. hope this helps.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

mylon

Lawn Care Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use net10.. very cheap, straightforward, good reception all over the west coast. can't really speak for anywhere else but they have a coverage map online somewhere..
the downside is the customer service is almost nonexistent so if you have a problem it will not be resolved, and i get a lot of spam calls/texts (but maybe that's because of the last person who had this number?) so i no longer answer unknown calls.

Reactions: JackieBlue

xACABx

Reaction score
My friend works for Sprint and he says they have prepaid plans for $25 a month with unlimited texts/internet and 300 minutes a month.

carnytrash

Reaction score
Website
carnytrash.tumblr.com
Am a big fan of Boost for a number of reasons. Yes, paying for the phone itself can be pricey depending on what you want to do with it, the cheapest one being $50, tho I know there are 'rebuilt' ones out there that might be cheaper.

There are no contracts to sign and you can pay in cash at a store with no fees Monthly Unlimited is $50 a month - unlimited nationwide talk, text and web. You can switch this to the shrinkage plan which gets the bill down to $35 a month. There is also Daily Unlimited for $2, which includes the same features as Monthly, free to recieve texts but charges apply to send. Then there's Pay As You Go, which would be good for those who only plan to use a phone every now and then.

The coverage is really good, especially while traveling, but you can hit dead spots here and there. They have a map on the website if you want to see where the hotspots and whatnot are.

JackieBlue

Reaction score
i use net10.. very cheap, straightforward, good reception all over the west coast. can't really speak for anywhere else but they have a coverage map online somewhere..
the downside is the customer service is almost nonexistent so if you have a problem it will not be resolved, and i get a lot of spam calls/texts (but maybe that's because of the last person who had this number?) so i no longer answer unknown calls.

net 10 has the best service all over the country. have had it for two years, and traveled all up and down the west and east coasts multiple times.

Weston

Reaction score
Here is a possibly better idea than a prepaid phone... What about a completely free Wi-Fi phone made out of any Android device. I have this set up on my old Android and it is very easy. All you need is an Android device, the Google Voice app + Google Voice account, an app called Sipdroid + a Sip Provider (www.sipgate.com), and an app called GV Callback. Instead of explaining it all I'll just link you to a tek...

http://gurnted.wordpress.com/guides/original-guide-from-xda/

And although my username is Andr0id I am in no way affiliated with Google or Android. And no, I didn't get my name from the phone.

Reactions: Mankini

L.C.

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Net10 has great prices too. They are available at Dollar General s. I'm not sure if anyone mentioned that.

bicycle

Reaction score
Android, this is an interesting idea.
I might try this out in the near future as i have a hacked hp touchpad with cyanogenmod on it now! :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads