portland/oregon food stamps and bank accounts | Squat the Planet

portland/oregon food stamps and bank accounts

bikegeek666

Reaction score
so i'm planning to go up to portland soon and figure i'll get food stamps there. easiest place to get them that i've ever gone. my question is, for the first time in years, i have a bank account. there's not much in it, but i have one, and any amount could probably count against me. just wondering what anyone knows about how they check it--in the past i've told them i was homeless and jobless and lied about it easily, but didn't have a bank account to put down, so i don't know if i don't report that if they'll find out somehow and deny me the card. any input? thanks!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
usually there's so little in it i never mention it at all. never been a problem.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
You don't automatically get docked for having a bank account.
Unless you make over $1000 a month and already have a bunch of money, you are fine.
But, if they find out you lie, then you can be sued for all the money they gave you under false pretenses.
So, if you have a bank account with like $200, I would tell them and not risk it.

bikegeek666

Reaction score
thanks gudj, i was kinda leaning to that anyway. definitely not going to have THAT much money, though i'm trying to save from odd jobs i'm doing here/being on unemployment (which will run out soon)...so i might have more. i might withdraw it and keep it as cash for a little bit also.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads