Police officers and their shifts | Squat the Planet

Police officers and their shifts

Eden

Reaction score
Does anyone know the standard or average durations of a police officer's shifts lasts during the day? When their time on duty begins and ends, particularly just while out on patrol. If not any idea how I can find out?

There's no reason to trouble yourself with inquiring into my asking I assure you. I'm not doing anything -too- irresponsible.

Aidian

Reaction score
According to (and I wish I was making this site up) shiftschedules.com:

"Since laws need to be enforced 24/7/365, most law enforcement agencies and correctional facilities use rotating shifts where officers work in regular patterns of days on and days off. Sometimes the shifts rotate and other times they do not. Usually police schedules have rotating days off, but not always. Both 8 hour shifts and 12 hour shifts can be easily scheduled to rotate days off and/or to rotate shifts. The use of 10 hour shifts is appealing because it can provide 3 days off each week, but since 24 can’t be divided evenly by 10, excessive shift overlap is required to fit three 10 hour shifts into a 24 hour day. If your officer coverage needs are less for a few hours a day, a combination of 10 hour shifts and 8 or 12 hour shifts can be used to adjust staffing levels to fit your needs. Another approach to a 4 day, 40 hour week uses 2-12 hour and 2-8 hour shifts a week."

So...8-12 hours, depending on station, it looks like. Can't do much more without having, y'know, specifics, and something tells me this story would best be saved for an "off the record" telling.

-A

CelticWanderer

Reaction score
In my experience i just stay out and watch places. See what cruisers go by and when. like every night at around 3 am theres a cruiser that does a quick sweep of my neighborhood. 5am an officer rolls into one of my favorite gas station parking like for a good 20 minutes and then leaves, stuff like that

Dmac

Reaction score
find the police substation for your area and spend some time watching it.

farmer john

Reaction score
According to (and I wish I was making this site up) shiftschedules.com:

"Since laws need to be enforced 24/7/365, most law enforcement agencies and correctional facilities use rotating shifts where officers work in regular patterns of days on and days off. Sometimes the shifts rotate and other times they do not. Usually police schedules have rotating days off, but not always. Both 8 hour shifts and 12 hour shifts can be easily scheduled to rotate days off and/or to rotate shifts. The use of 10 hour shifts is appealing because it can provide 3 days off each week, but since 24 can’t be divided evenly by 10, excessive shift overlap is required to fit three 10 hour shifts into a 24 hour day. If your officer coverage needs are less for a few hours a day, a combination of 10 hour shifts and 8 or 12 hour shifts can be used to adjust staffing levels to fit your needs. Another approach to a 4 day, 40 hour week uses 2-12 hour and 2-8 hour shifts a week."

So...8-12 hours, depending on station, it looks like. Can't do much more without having, y'know, specifics, and something tells me this story would best be saved for an "off the record" telling.

-A

8 to 12 is in fact the number normally closer to 8 in my experiance buddys dad is a homicide cop around here

Garrnutz

Reaction score
I see. so this cop goes threw 11 and a half hours of nothing but driving and drinking free coffee and donughts, then see's me drinking and is all buzzed from the coffee and not doing anything for 11 and a half hours so goes all John Mclain on my ass. and the next shift for 12 hours he thinks about how John Mclain yesterdays shift was?

Sorry hahaha, yeah from the RCMP that i have delt with alot... at around 3 am or 4 am they would do a shift change because it would be new cops that talk to me or get me released, But that station only has 2 crusers on the road and 1 special constible during the day on the road also so, im pritty sure depending on the station it can be dirasticly differnt .

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads