Police officers and their shifts (1 Viewer)

Eden

Lurker
Hometown
No price is too high to pay
Does anyone know the standard or average durations of a police officer's shifts lasts during the day? When their time on duty begins and ends, particularly just while out on patrol. If not any idea how I can find out?

There's no reason to trouble yourself with inquiring into my asking I assure you. I'm not doing anything -too- irresponsible.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Aidian

Lurker
Hometown
PDX/NOLA
According to (and I wish I was making this site up) shiftschedules.com:

"Since laws need to be enforced 24/7/365, most law enforcement agencies and correctional facilities use rotating shifts where officers work in regular patterns of days on and days off. Sometimes the shifts rotate and other times they do not. Usually police schedules have rotating days off, but not always. Both 8 hour shifts and 12 hour shifts can be easily scheduled to rotate days off and/or to rotate shifts. The use of 10 hour shifts is appealing because it can provide 3 days off each week, but since 24 can’t be divided evenly by 10, excessive shift overlap is required to fit three 10 hour shifts into a 24 hour day. If your officer coverage needs are less for a few hours a day, a combination of 10 hour shifts and 8 or 12 hour shifts can be used to adjust staffing levels to fit your needs. Another approach to a 4 day, 40 hour week uses 2-12 hour and 2-8 hour shifts a week."

So...8-12 hours, depending on station, it looks like. Can't do much more without having, y'know, specifics, and something tells me this story would best be saved for an "off the record" telling.

-A

CelticWanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Augusta GA, USA
In my experience i just stay out and watch places. See what cruisers go by and when. like every night at around 3 am theres a cruiser that does a quick sweep of my neighborhood. 5am an officer rolls into one of my favorite gas station parking like for a good 20 minutes and then leaves, stuff like that

farmer john

Lurker
Hometown
DETROIT!!
According to (and I wish I was making this site up) shiftschedules.com:

"Since laws need to be enforced 24/7/365, most law enforcement agencies and correctional facilities use rotating shifts where officers work in regular patterns of days on and days off. Sometimes the shifts rotate and other times they do not. Usually police schedules have rotating days off, but not always. Both 8 hour shifts and 12 hour shifts can be easily scheduled to rotate days off and/or to rotate shifts. The use of 10 hour shifts is appealing because it can provide 3 days off each week, but since 24 can’t be divided evenly by 10, excessive shift overlap is required to fit three 10 hour shifts into a 24 hour day. If your officer coverage needs are less for a few hours a day, a combination of 10 hour shifts and 8 or 12 hour shifts can be used to adjust staffing levels to fit your needs. Another approach to a 4 day, 40 hour week uses 2-12 hour and 2-8 hour shifts a week."

So...8-12 hours, depending on station, it looks like. Can't do much more without having, y'know, specifics, and something tells me this story would best be saved for an "off the record" telling.

-A
8 to 12 is in fact the number normally closer to 8 in my experiance buddys dad is a homicide cop around here

M

Mouse

I deleted myself
I moved this cuz questions and feedback is for the site, not jsut general questions and feedback ;)

Garrnutz

Lurker
I see. so this cop goes threw 11 and a half hours of nothing but driving and drinking free coffee and donughts, then see's me drinking and is all buzzed from the coffee and not doing anything for 11 and a half hours so goes all John Mclain on my ass. and the next shift for 12 hours he thinks about how John Mclain yesterdays shift was?

Sorry hahaha, yeah from the RCMP that i have delt with alot... at around 3 am or 4 am they would do a shift change because it would be new cops that talk to me or get me released, But that station only has 2 crusers on the road and 1 special constible during the day on the road also so, im pritty sure depending on the station it can be dirasticly differnt .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.
Just found out my neighbor died. One day I'm helping him change his starter, the next he's gone. Just walked around inside his house. That would be the first time I have smelled death. The eeriest though was that the UPS guy still left him a package. PS He was a big John Wayne fan!! RIP Rick!
SIX10 wrote on Cussock's profile.
whatz your avatar from?? looks sick
Twin cities folks, anybody looking to go out, maintain a respectable distance, and explore something this Friday night?
Committed phone memory to two of these guys albums just last night, after not listening to them for years. Found out today that one of em died just two days prior.
They fathered ebm in 1981 -the same genre of industrial that NIN brought to the mainstream over 10 years later.

Dude thinks he's gonna "make a deal" with the virus.

It's like a virtual pact with *Satan*.👹 Maybe if he sacrifices all the helpless ones to the thing, the devil will just let him be? Let him keep his status, his presidency, his supporters?

Members online