Playing music for money in europe

db3kfan

Reaction score
how easy is this to do? when i go to europe this will be my main income with not much safety money. how much do you make an hour on average? can you play most places in cities?

wartomods

Reaction score
you can do money, it may be a little harder than in america, because people dont have the tip habit or just think "well shit i pay my taxes i dont have the duty to spare a change" as most europe countries have a much more social state than america and pay a fuck load more taxes.
But for pratical purpose just estimate roughly the same amount you make in america, it is not that different

sparkandstir

Reaction score
It works really well in some places... Some parts of England you can make £15 or £20 an hour on a good day... really it all just depends on what the city or town you are busking in is like. I've heard that northern spain is really good for it, met quite a few people who have lived off busking there.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea my friend traveled there last year and don't know bout the other countries but he said spain was incredibly easy to make money busking. he had a little travel guitar or maybe it was a ukelele -- anways he only knew like 4 chords..and would play them over and over.
said he made enough money to stay drunk on wine the whole day from playing for an hour or two

sparkandstir

Reaction score
I once accumulated a certain coagulated substance known as a 'wine drunk' whilst living off my guitar in Europe... Ended up having to come home, there's definitely not enough money in it to support waifs and strays...

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
Friends said, that busking in Germany gets you really good money, but i havent tried it. Be carefull in Netherlands, you have to change your busking place every 30minutes or else you could get a fine :)

Clean

Reaction score
southern spain was hard, in a college drunkard spot in the us id make 50 to 70 in 2 hours
in southern spain id make like 40 euros in 8 hours

Komjaunimas

Reaction score
But do you need a license to busk in these countries?

There is no license for European Union members. I don't know about americans/canadians, you should google. 2 Years ago americans needed a license to busk in Netherlands now they don't.

wartomods

Reaction score
i think it depends on the city, its not really a country law, but more what the city hall thinks.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads