People who beat their dogs | Squat the Planet

People who beat their dogs

Mei

Reaction score
In you guys' opinion, what's the best way to deal with people like that? I've encountered a lot of people who are really shitty to their dogs and will kick or beat them really badly. Do I try to talk to them about it? Do I beat THEM up and take their dog? Some combination of the two? I can't just ignore that shit, it's disgusting

Reactions: Gudj
K

Kim Chee

I believe some instances of canine misbehavior should be handled in a physical manner. For instance: I'm not going to try to tell a dog "no" when it is humping somebody it shouldn't. I'm gonna smack a dog. It's drive to hump shit is too strong and "sweet talk" isn't gonna do anything except make him maybe blow his wad a little faster. There are other instances where the owner's words may be disregarded and the behavior continues. I hope that isn't what you refer to when you say "disgusting". Now, being a lazy owner who wont take time with the animal and resorts to striking their dog in lieu of proper training? That's disgusting.

As for your question: People are fucking hardheaded for the most part and will probably continue doing whatever it is that pisses you off right in front of you or soon after you part ways. Might be safer for you to just get over it.

Mei

Reaction score
Nah, I'm not talking about people who maybe give the dog a little smack or bite, I'm talking about the ones who beat the holy fuck out of their dogs to the point where it's surprising that they haven't broken a rib yet

daveycrockett

Reaction score
yeah people are fucked up, i had one cat that turned into 6 to 13,i had to give them to someone when i left my last place, but i treated her like a daughter,even to sit at the dinner table and eat with us, our food too.it will come back to em.her name was alley.the kittens got to be so much i just named them after what color they were red, black , orange, grey,,,,never had to call them though, they followed me everywhere to the point i would have to put them inside if i walked out of the driveway or id have a whole line of kittens running around following me to town.

uncivilize

Reaction score
People who do shit like that will also do that to people. A bunch of serial killers had a history of abusing animals as kids. I say kill them. hmmm, tough way to "justify" that, eh? Then we'd be the killers. What would make us any better? hmmm, I guess maybe we've just got to realize that we live in a fundamentally diseased and insane culture, that person likely suffered an abusive and difficult life, have some compassion. Well, shit, that doesn't work either. You could always be a snitch and use the established power structure to have the dogs taken away, but then they just get taken to the pound to eventually get euthanized, and the pieces of shit will just get another dog. I don't know, just do what you feel is right (and maybe keep your mouth shut about it ;-).

How about kids who ride trains with dogs? You know that loud flange squeal that hurts so much because they're too punk rawk to wear ear plugs (unless they're already deaf from standing next to the speakers at shows since they were kids)? What the fuck do you think that does to a dog, whose ears are substantially more sensitive?

I really hate the idea of "pets" in general. People say they love their animals, and they probably really do, on a superficial level, most likely out of emotional immaturity and ignorance. Our interaction with these animals started because we had left behind good scraps, and we had a similar social structure and cooperative hunting strategies. Domesticated dogs became specially adapted to humans, displaying a well developed emotional intelligence and ability to read our subtle expressions/body language better than chimpanzees can (and seemingly, most people these days). They served a purpose and earned their keep. The vast majority of people don't understand the evolutionary/selectively bred context of their "pet." Sedentary, urban 9-5'ers buy a "working breed" keep it in an apartment all day, take it on a couple walks, and wonder why it tears the fuck out of all their shit. People treat their animals like toys, even if they really do take care of them, it's rare that someone actually gives an animal everything they need to be healthy (especially by feeding them shitty, grain based "food." Cattle aside, how many wolves do you think farmers killed to keep them from eating up all their corn and soy crops? Why did my beloved dog when I was younger get liver cancer?)

Fuck, I could go on, sorry for the rant.

Reactions: wokofshame

Mei

Reaction score
I definitely agree on some level with your opinion on taking dogs on trains, I mean, in addition to that awful squealy noise, those rocks on the tracks must really hurt their feet, and what about hopping off on the fly (I never endorse hopping on the fly EVER, but getting off that way's a grey area for me)? I would never want to put a dog through that, though I've definitely kept my mouth shut when others around me have done it.

Idk, I've had dogs as companions, but I don't really think of them as pets, they're too much like people for me to think of them as something that implies subordinance to me. My dogs have all been more like siblings to me than "pets"

K

Kim Chee

I'm talking about the ones who beat the holy fuck out of their dogs to the point where it's surprising that they haven't broken a rib yet

I ran into a guy with his dog while riding choo choo. He had more dirt on his face than a coal miner. Anyway, he and his overloaded dog (carrying panniers loaded with more food than the dog needed that day) were headed back to the train after a dumpster run. I heard his dog howl from a distance several times as he beat it. A few thoughts went through my mind:

Kick his ass, take his dog.
Kick his ass and let him keep his dog.
or
Say nothing, knowing his animal has a crappy owner and get over it. I know I can't fix everything.

Poor fucking dog. I'm not antisocial, I let him be.

Dmac

Reaction score
dogs do need physical discipline at times. but people should not beat them any more than they should kids. i hate anything to do with cops, but would report someone for animal cruelty. i have called the humane society on people before (they showed up faster than the cops do). they can take the animal pending an investigation. anyone who will beat an animal just to take out their frustrations is someone who i will not have anything to do with. studies say that most serial killers started off being cruel to animals. just saying.

Auto

Reaction score
Meh, I've come across people that beat their dogs, but for everyone one like him there are a million other dogs getting beat somewhere else. There is nothing you can really do. It's their dog, though they treat it like sh.it I've realized I can only give my dog the best life him and myself can make for ourselves. Trying to to help every dog out there will just leave you stranded in one place with 30 dogs. Bite your tongue and move on, if a person will beat a dog they will at least attempt to beat you.

Dmac

Reaction score
nobody can fix everything, but choosing to do nothing just lets the bad actions go on. biting your tongue and moving on is almost the same as condoning the action. not many people are willing to take a stand, so the shit goes on. and anyone who beats their dog around me will have to try and beat me too. too many people just lack the courage to do what is right. just another reason that things are going to shit. stand up for what is right.

Reactions: ipoPua and Gudj

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
I agree with dmac66.

All of the posts on this thread are either about theory, or telling you to let it go. I am bummed out at those responses.

What I would do is firstly verbalize the obvious and say something like,
"cut that shit out. You aren't doing yr dog any good and if the right person sees you abusing the helpless, you are going to get beat the fuck down".

Or, something less escalatory at first.
That may be enough to embarrass this person into stopping.
But I don't know, whoever beat's their dog is on a totally different level than anyone I know, so maybe not.

If they start to get all punk on you and are like "it's my fucking dog I'll kick it if I want.",
well the you are at a crossroads. If you are confident in yourself and want to beat the tar out of this person, I think you have more than enough justification.

Someone who beats somebody who loves them and can't defend themselves is the worst type of shithead there is. They are the type to rape and hit their partners also. Ideally, everyone who acted like this would get the beating of their life, and their dog taken away.
If it's a recourring problem with someone you know, and you don't want to handle it yourself, get a crew together and take care of it as a team.

tl;dr: No-one should be allowed to walk away after physically abusing a loved one, especially one who can't fight back.

daveycrockett

Reaction score
I agree with dmac66.

All of the posts on this thread are either about theory, or telling you to let it go. I am bummed out at those responses.

"cut that shit out. You aren't doing yr dog any good and if the right person sees you abusing the helpless, you are going to get beat the fuck down".

But I don't know, whoever beat's their dog is on a totally different level than anyone I know, so maybe not.

If they start to get all punk on you and are like "it's my fucking dog I'll kick it if I want.",
well the you are at a crossroads. If you are confident in yourself and want to beat the tar out of this person, I think you have more than enough justification.

Someone who beats somebody who loves them and can't defend themselves is the worst type of shithead there is. They are the type to rape and hit their partners also. Ideally, everyone who acted like this would get the beating of their life, and their dog taken away.
If it's a recourring problem with someone you know, and you don't want to handle it yourself, get a crew together and take care of it as a team.

tl;dr: No-one should be allowed to walk away after physically abusing a loved one, especially one who can't fight back.
two wrongs dont make a right,,and fighting aint cool, just to let you know, you gonna take the chance on killing someone over their stupid actions with their dog?,if thats what kind of person they are it will come back to them one way or another,just by you writing this post i get such a negative vibe, not a vibe that is what you are trying to describe,bad emotions,someone didnt even beat their dog in front of you ,this is hypothetical and youre pissed acting the same way this hypothetical person is acting. yeah if i saw someone in the street beating the hell out of their dog id probably say "holy shit man,what happened,what did the dog do", maybe this person is being taken over by emotion and it has nothing to do with their animal,so maybe he can stop and think "wow" instead of creating a cycle.wtf

Dmac

Reaction score
I agree with dmac66.

Dmac

Reaction score
well said, talk first then escalate if required. force should be the last option, but when necessary, strike first, and do not quit till it is done.

Reactions: Gudj

billyriot

Reaction score
I have to agree with dmac and Gudj, for the most part, while at the same time, I know that no matter how many people I stop from beating/abusing their dogs, it will still go on; but I can at least stop those certain instances from continuing. And at best, at least I "voiced" my opinion.

But then again, I've always been the type to speak out when something I don't agree with is going on, in that sense; I've gotten beaten up for it, and I've beaten up in return (for both humans and their four-legged companions). Regardless of what you are, no one deserves to be mistreated, especially by some who "loves you". And it's this talk of "who are you to tell me what to do with ..." that enrages me even more.

Reactions: Dmac

Auto

Reaction score
Have to be very careful getting into fights with people who live the lifestyles some of us may live. You never know what diseases that guy kicking his dog might have, and you might get from getting his face and your knuckles bloody or vice versa, I'm just saying...

K

Kim Chee

nobody can fix everything, but choosing to do nothing just lets the bad actions go on. biting your tongue and moving on is almost the same as condoning the action. not many people are willing to take a stand, so the shit goes on. and anyone who beats their dog around me will have to try and beat me too. too many people just lack the courage to do what is right. just another reason that things are going to shit. stand up for what is right.

The people who take a stand and are proactive do shit like work for the ASPCA as well as other "animal friendly" organizations. To take action while abuse is taking place nearby, yet deny protection to animals who aren't in your presence is similar to "condoning the action", yes? I'm going on the premise that it seems as if you are pretty committed to the protection of animals if you are willing to offer up a beating to the perpetrator in turn for beating their animal in front of you. Unless, I'm mistaken and you just have antisocial traits and don't mind blood on your own hands. There are many ways to be courageous and many points of view of "what is right".

I agree with dmac66.

Vigilantism may work, but does that in turn make you part of the problem? If I walk in on you while you're bashing some dude's skull in can I get some of you?
Endless cycle of violence, huh?
Endless cycle of violence
Endless violence
Endless violence
Endless violence

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads