Pedaling to Black Bear ranch from Eugene | Squat the Planet

Pedaling to Black Bear ranch from Eugene

juno

Reaction score
Hi STP
My sweetie and I are taking off soon to pedal from Eugene to Black Bear via the coast. We're getting our route down but I'm mostly concerned about the last leg of the journey (trail vs. < 7' rocky road with 200' cliff).
We have pretty good bikes and I think we could handle the trail but I dunno...
Has anyone here ever done either on bikes?
Tips, advice pls?
Much appreciated :)

Reactions: jimi

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i don't think a lot of people are familiar with black bear, i only know of it because of @NotSoSirius relating some stories about it. Isn't it a bit remote to be biking to?

Reactions: beersalt

juno

Reaction score
It is, but almost nothing is truly too remote to bike to TBH. They advised us to use the road instead of the hiking trail but we both think the trail is a safer bet

• Useful
Reactions: Matt Derrick

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
It is, but almost nothing is truly too remote to bike to TBH. They advised us to use the road instead of the hiking trail but we both think the trail is a safer bet

If you can ride that trail youre a fucking god. I wouldn't advise that lol. I lived there for 3 months and yea, no, i can't see that being possible. For me at least

Last edited:

juno

Reaction score
If you can ride that trail youre a fucking god. I wouldn't advise that lol. I lived there for 3 months and yea, no, i can't see that being possible. For me at least
Is it that bad? At the very least I think we can push our bikes up any road or
trail even if it's slow going.

D

deleted user

Be interested in your thoughts on Black Bear afterward. I've met a few people who enjoyed the place, but found it a little too disconnected from everything. Curious if it's still mostly queer/trans folks.

If so, I might plan a trip with them of some kind, if I make it that far on the PCT.

juno

Reaction score
What are they like?
Apparently, the road itself is narrower than 7' in some places and drops off to a 200' cliff in others (this is just stuff i've read on StP actually), and possibly scattered with huge rocks.
So that's why we're thinking the trail... We can at least push our bikes where we can't ride. I'll take my chances with a hiking trail before I risk pedaling off a 200' cliff

Reactions: beersalt

NapalmBreath

Reaction score
Apparently, the road itself is narrower than 7' in some places and drops off to a 200' cliff in others (this is just stuff i've read on StP actually), and possibly scattered with huge rocks.
So that's why we're thinking the trail... We can at least push our bikes where we can't ride. I'll take my chances with a hiking trail before I risk pedaling off a 200' cliff

I've never gone long distances on mountain roads on a bike but have friends in town that I could put you in touch with who have if you have questions. I don't know if they've been out there but they might have usefull info nonetheless.

Reactions: juno

juno

Reaction score
I've never gone long distances on mountain roads on a bike but have friends in town that I could put you in touch with who have if you have questions. I don't know if they've been out there but they might have usefull info nonetheless.
Sure, I'm down. Thank you for offering

coltsfoot

Reaction score
Id def like to hear how it went. Keep us posted!

Hi STP
My sweetie and I are taking off soon to pedal from Eugene to Black Bear via the coast. We're getting our route down but I'm mostly concerned about the last leg of the journey (trail vs. < 7' rocky road with 200' cliff).
We have pretty good bikes and I think we could handle the trail but I dunno...
Has anyone here ever done either on bikes?
Tips, advice pls?
Much appreciated :)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads