Pedaling to Black Bear ranch from Eugene (1 Viewer)

juno

Lurker
Hometown
Eugene
Hi STP
My sweetie and I are taking off soon to pedal from Eugene to Black Bear via the coast. We're getting our route down but I'm mostly concerned about the last leg of the journey (trail vs. < 7' rocky road with 200' cliff).
We have pretty good bikes and I think we could handle the trail but I dunno...
Has anyone here ever done either on bikes?
Tips, advice pls?
Much appreciated :)

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
juno

juno

Lurker
Hometown
Eugene
It is, but almost nothing is truly too remote to bike to TBH. They advised us to use the road instead of the hiking trail but we both think the trail is a safer bet

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Hometown
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
It is, but almost nothing is truly too remote to bike to TBH. They advised us to use the road instead of the hiking trail but we both think the trail is a safer bet
If you can ride that trail youre a fucking god. I wouldn't advise that lol. I lived there for 3 months and yea, no, i can't see that being possible. For me at least

Last edited:
OP
juno

juno

Lurker
Hometown
Eugene
If you can ride that trail youre a fucking god. I wouldn't advise that lol. I lived there for 3 months and yea, no, i can't see that being possible. For me at least
Is it that bad? At the very least I think we can push our bikes up any road or
trail even if it's slow going.

D

deleted user

I deleted myself
Be interested in your thoughts on Black Bear afterward. I've met a few people who enjoyed the place, but found it a little too disconnected from everything. Curious if it's still mostly queer/trans folks.

If so, I might plan a trip with them of some kind, if I make it that far on the PCT.

OP
juno

juno

Lurker
Hometown
Eugene
What are they like?
Apparently, the road itself is narrower than 7' in some places and drops off to a 200' cliff in others (this is just stuff i've read on StP actually), and possibly scattered with huge rocks.
So that's why we're thinking the trail... We can at least push our bikes where we can't ride. I'll take my chances with a hiking trail before I risk pedaling off a 200' cliff

NapalmBreath

Pilgrim
Hometown
Eugene
Apparently, the road itself is narrower than 7' in some places and drops off to a 200' cliff in others (this is just stuff i've read on StP actually), and possibly scattered with huge rocks.
So that's why we're thinking the trail... We can at least push our bikes where we can't ride. I'll take my chances with a hiking trail before I risk pedaling off a 200' cliff
I've never gone long distances on mountain roads on a bike but have friends in town that I could put you in touch with who have if you have questions. I don't know if they've been out there but they might have usefull info nonetheless.

OP
juno

juno

Lurker
Hometown
Eugene
I've never gone long distances on mountain roads on a bike but have friends in town that I could put you in touch with who have if you have questions. I don't know if they've been out there but they might have usefull info nonetheless.
Sure, I'm down. Thank you for offering

coltsfoot

Hometown
downeast maine
Id def like to hear how it went. Keep us posted!

Hi STP
My sweetie and I are taking off soon to pedal from Eugene to Black Bear via the coast. We're getting our route down but I'm mostly concerned about the last leg of the journey (trail vs. < 7' rocky road with 200' cliff).
We have pretty good bikes and I think we could handle the trail but I dunno...
Has anyone here ever done either on bikes?
Tips, advice pls?
Much appreciated :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

MFB wrote on LuckyMinnie's profile.
Dooder, Your doggo is EARristable! ;)
Holding treats, yo!
is a thought of a unicorn a real thought?
I'm about to buy a trowel and start digging catholes. I'm tired of waiting 30 minutes to take a shit and then having to force my intestines out all because I got constipated waiting for the bathroom.
mojorisin22 wrote on Tripwiresolo's profile.
jut joined myself. got the obsession! 🚂
MFB
Thowback Thursday
More youth.
This dumpster was amazing;I'd often found throwaways of the big liter bottles they ship syrup with codiene to pharmacies in. Because of the consistency of it there would always be an ounce or two in the bottle they didnt get out. I'd get 2 or 3, spatula scrape out the good, make some szrrrp, put on DJ screw and get faded. :)
Chilling with ghosts...
Is there an achievement for actually making Mormon missionaries STOP talking to you?
40min outside Portland

Members online

No members online now.