Owning land? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Owning land?

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
If you haven't used your student loans yet, go to a cheap college and get the maximum loan package you can get. Then get it disbursed in cash and use that to buy land outright, get on income based repayment, and as long as you make less than 10k a year (legally), your monthly payment on the loans will be zero. Grab some credit cards too, while you're at it.. then drop off the grid
Any specific advice on how to get maximum loan package in a cheap college? Because with the one I tried, it looked like the whole tuition would be covered and sent directly to college, bypassing my hands.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Any specific advice on how to get maximum loan package in a cheap college? Because with the one I tried, it looked like the whole tuition would be covered and sent directly to college, bypassing my hands.

Not sure what the situation was for you, but I make zero dollars legally each year, file tax independent, am homeless, and can potentially get EOP (NYS's educational opportunity program) at 4 year SUNY's which gives you extra grants and loans. I found, when I was in EOP with no loans at SUNY Plattsburgh, I still had about six hundred bucks left in grants, and called the bursar about it. She said I can get it in cash, check, or (by default I believe) let it roll over for next semester. The official purpose of FAFSA and the loans and grants it applies you for is not just to cover tuition but also the ambiguous "living expenses". Say to the bursar, "I need my loans for living expenses // to pay my rent" and you have a legitimate reason to get that cash out. Shit, kids I used to know were buying Land Rovers and new rifles and tons of booze with that money... I drank a handle of gin a day practically on what I was allowed..

If you try to get it again, make sure 4 things:
1. Be as poor as humanly possible a year in advance
2. Go to a school in your state of residence
3. Make sure all parties concerned with your finances know you'll be using your loans for living expenses
4. Make sure you only pay tuition and as few other fees as possible. No meal plan, no housing, no gym - and make sure before you apply that your school will be the cheapest possible.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
south east of Delano, CA..
2.5 acres..

been barking about this shit since 2011..

if i ever get the fuck out to sea, i will give it to you (whoever)..
; )

from the pre east jesus meltdown bullshit:

https://squattheplanet.com/threads/...pre-apocalyptic-world.10228/page-2#post-80085

i just came off of a start-up commune that is having a hella hard time..
members are down to zero, except for the owner, which sucks...

i'm now busted, but i dumped about $12,000 into the fucking place, only to see squat (& i don't mean planet) for it.

worked my ass off, too.. typically unpaid (of course) 8 hour days working on equipment & farm chores, when other folks had a hard time just doing their obligatory 2 hrs a day...

plus, because i put up 4k in cash for starters, i was supposed to be able to just park my fucking bus & write...
my background is in surveying and civil engineering. 26 years. strong technical skills, strong mechanical skills.

very good fabrication skills, but i do not weld.

51 years old, but as far as performance goes, i operate on a level at least 20 years younger than that, and that's no bullshit.

i have 2.5 unused, desert ridden acres near delano, CA, that i have yet to see, and may fucking bury myself there, eventually... however...

i'm looking for a community to participate in.. that means park my bus & take care of my crap & work to keep shit going...

it may even mean, if possible, finding a job with an engineering firm & sending cash into the home kitty..
i am, by far, an ocean creature, but the desert has waves of its own..

looking for compassionate, sharing people who know how hard the work of fairness is, and know that people whom love fairness are people whom love what we would be, if we were simple enough to to need no more than what takes from no one else...

anyways, just an introduction.. may never ask for permission to enter, but if i do, my hands will be in the dirt as soon as i am past you door.

good peace,

john

Reactions: Turbo E and marmar

marmar

Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Not sure what the situation was for you, but I make zero dollars legally each year, file tax independent, am homeless, and can potentially get EOP (NYS's educational opportunity program) at 4 year SUNY's which gives you extra grants and loans. I found, when I was in EOP with no loans at SUNY Plattsburgh, I still had about six hundred bucks left in grants, and called the bursar about it. She said I can get it in cash, check, or (by default I believe) let it roll over for next semester. The official purpose of FAFSA and the loans and grants it applies you for is not just to cover tuition but also the ambiguous "living expenses". Say to the bursar, "I need my loans for living expenses // to pay my rent" and you have a legitimate reason to get that cash out. Shit, kids I used to know were buying Land Rovers and new rifles and tons of booze with that money... I drank a handle of gin a day practically on what I was allowed..

If you try to get it again, make sure 4 things:
1. Be as poor as humanly possible a year in advance
2. Go to a school in your state of residence
3. Make sure all parties concerned with your finances know you'll be using your loans for living expenses
4. Make sure you only pay tuition and as few other fees as possible. No meal plan, no housing, no gym - and make sure before you apply that your school will be the cheapest possible.
I tried 2 year college, not 4. May be there is difference, I know nothing about the system. I wish I did, because I am homeless and I do make 0 on taxes and I've being official ny resident for many years. But the manhattan community colledge told me I am likely to get all tuition covered.(no loans, all financial aid) And then I though what's the fucking point, I didn't really mean to go to the fuckin college, I just wanted money

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I tried 2 year college, not 4. May be there is difference, I know nothing about the system. I wish I did, because I am homeless and I do make 0 on taxes and I've being official ny resident for many years. But the manhattan community colledge told me I am likely to get all tuition covered.(no loans, all financial aid) And then I though what's the fucking point, I didn't really mean to go to the fuckin college, I just wanted money

It should work at 2 year college as well - in fact, I've heard confirmed reports of people doing it upstate where I'm from. Everything about the NY systems is easier and more friendly upstate - I'm sure the big city officials are aware of this way to get money.

Aleks Milenkovic

Reaction score
I own woodlands fishery in uk, I will let people pitch a tent and squat for a small fee , I’ve also been down many other roads in life including squat raves in London but it’s not a nice scene, I am currently looking for crew aboard my sealine 410 statesman to ngo squat an uninhabited island in south croatia, lawfully under national meaning means living as if the owner has no right to that land. So, if a large enough community apears on this beautyful UNINHABITED island and create something 110% self suficient. Farming and creating borders factors a lot into a case of law. If that and a little more can be done, an island can be claimed successfully and given back to the residents, like mahana in New Zealand

Anyone is welcome to contact me for more details, the project is in motion

DuHastMich

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Can you explain the difference between tax sale and a title to the land, please?

Tax sales are held usually once a year in every U.S. county to help collect owed taxes.

Once the sale (in auction format, most usually) is done, the winner would have paid the taxes, plus whatever excess money they bid above the parcel's sale amount known as a 'surplus'. (eg: taxes on a parcel you bought were $300 but you won the auction at $400 - surplus is $100).

A tax sale gives you a tax certificate, and places a lien on the property. This certificate pays the bearer 'x' amount of interest per month.

You must hold this tax certificate for an 'x' number of days or years, known as a cool off period (average is usually 1-2 years).

If nobody (i.e. property owner) pays the taxes you just paid during this 'cool off', you can pay another fee and get a Commissioner's or Treasurer's deed. That deed will be free and clear of ANY liens (essentially known as a 'perfect title'). Unless, of course, you owe Federal Taxes or a shitload of child support.

They suggest you pay all taxes during this period of time, too. You'll get them back if the property is reclaimed.

In certain cases, there will be shit wrong with the title or the previous owner's bullshit will stick on the title. You then can basically foreclose on the new property, or get an attorney to 'quiet' the title.

A title to the land is just as it sounds - a free title to the land.

I bought a tax certificate in Colorado in November. Sucks balls because I have to wait 3 years by Colorado law in order to get the Commissioner's Deed...but I am also earning 11% interest a month.

Reactions: Jerrell

Wildheit

Reaction score
Hallo there!, land and houses?

Cheap land and stone ruins/houses in Galicia, northern Spain (Europe) in the townships of Ortigueira and Mañon, some homesteading/ back to the land/ off the grid/ anarchist based projects already starting in the area. Coast, beach, forest and mountain come together. Local population old and dying out, foreign people moving in. A place to resettle from an animal/eco-friendly, local economy, self-sufficient approach.

We inherited some land in this area and moved in 5 years ago, after extensive travel through europe and touring with our band, me and several friends repopulated the area, we work on the land and house, got some horses rescued from a shelter plus our dogs, host punk shows of touring bands, try to be on the road to self-sufficiency if we will ever achieve it. now we are setting up a local collective to help people interested in setting up self-sufficient communities providing aid in different matters, from language barriers, legal aid on purchases of land, forest management...

Its amazing to see how this kind of areas die out, local young people move to the city and old people just pass away and everything gets abandoned or for sale...

come visit us!

japanarchist

Reaction score
Hallo there!, land and houses?

Cheap land and stone ruins/houses in Galicia, northern Spain (Europe) in the townships of Ortigueira and Mañon, some homesteading/ back to the land/ off the grid/ anarchist based projects already starting in the area. Coast, beach, forest and mountain come together. Local population old and dying out, foreign people moving in. A place to resettle from an animal/eco-friendly, local economy, self-sufficient approach.

We inherited some land in this area and moved in 5 years ago, after extensive travel through europe and touring with our band, me and several friends repopulated the area, we work on the land and house, got some horses rescued from a shelter plus our dogs, host punk shows of touring bands, try to be on the road to self-sufficiency if we will ever achieve it. now we are setting up a local collective to help people interested in setting up self-sufficient communities providing aid in different matters, from language barriers, legal aid on purchases of land, forest management...

Its amazing to see how this kind of areas die out, local young people move to the city and old people just pass away and everything gets abandoned or for sale...

come visit us!
That sounds amazing!

Loony Bin

Reaction score
What region do you prefer living at? Have you ever been to the Dancing Rabbit place in Missouri? One of my high school buddies is building his own house on their land trust. If you decide that you might be interested in Michigan, there is a lot of cheap land in Flint and it's a pretty cool place with a good music scene - or Detroit too. I would like to start some sort of cooperative that's similar to the University of Chicago's cooperative network that takes non-students and people of all ages. It could be a hostel as well. Those are my ideas and goals.

Here is a link for the Gennessee County Land Bank where you can buy property or houses for only $100: http://www.thelandbank.org/residential.asp
This site is Fucking awesome

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads