Outdoor movie night! Travel films, music video karaoke and other fun stuff (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey folks, so I'm looking at getting a movie projector, along with a power source to do some movies and possibly other fun stuff at the Jamboree. I'm thinking a selection of travel films and possibly a music video collection people can sing along to if they want :) We can get a completely decent projector for about $50, we just need a way to power it (cheap generator? @iamwhatiam and @CrowTheBard maybe you have ideas for this?) So yeah, I would like to get folk's input and suggestions for what to play!

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Brodiesel710

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Website
www.ebay.com
Hey folks, so I'm looking at getting a movie projector, along with a power source to do some movies and possibly other fun stuff at the Jamboree. I'm thinking a selection of travel films and possibly a music video collection people can sing along to if they want :) We can get a completely decent projector for about $50, we just need a way to power it (cheap generator? @iamwhatiam and @CrowTheBard maybe you have ideas for this?) So yeah, I would like to get folk's input and suggestions for what to play!
Harbor Freight has a variety of cheap generators, you can purchase a cheap 3 year warranty with them too, and return when your done if you want to go that route. Mine actually broke, they honored the warranty now I have a brand new generator still in the box.

CrowTheBard

Wanderer
Can you link the power requirements? Maybe just a 12v battery and an inverter would keep it going for 2-3 hours per charge?

i will ask around to see if anyone has a small gas generator available them too.

cheers,
Crow

Bushpig

Wanderer
I would like to get folk's input and suggestions for what to play!
I fucking LOVE movies! I can go on for ages suggesting some!

Paris, Texas
The Wizard
Walkabout
Mad Max 2
Dumb And Dumber
Nebraska
Easy Rider
Vanishing Point
My Own Private Idaho
Natural Born Killers
Cannonball Run
Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey

I can go on! Shall I? Anyone else with suggestions?

Edit: I own all of these on DVD or Bluray and can provide them. Even if I can't make it. I can send a bunch of discs to someone who's confirmed going. And has the means to haul them to Jambo.

Last edited:
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Harbor Freight has a variety of cheap generators, you can purchase a cheap 3 year warranty with them too, and return when your done if you want to go that route. Mine actually broke, they honored the warranty now I have a brand new generator still in the box.
Can you link the power requirements? Maybe just a 12v battery and an inverter would keep it going for 2-3 hours per charge?

i will ask around to see if anyone has a small gas generator available them too.

cheers,
Crow
cool, yeah i was thinking a cheap $100 harbor freight generator would be perfect since it only has to last a few days. didn't know about the insurance though, that's a good deal since one out of the two HF generators i've owned crapped out in the first month i had it.

the battery idea is okay but i think it would be more economical to have a small generator since that'll go for a looong time even just on a gallon or two of gas.

and just FYI, since im flying out and back (i have a job im trying to keep) i won't be taking the generator or projector back with me, in case anyone has a use for those things after the jambo.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Aren't most generators pretty noisy? The ones I've seen that are quiet are more pricey.... $300 and up. I was thinking about getting a battery operated movie projector but now I don't know.... my job this summer is starting later than usual, so it's looking like not a good $$ making summer for me.

The Tailgator is the one that harbor freight sells apparently. Just watching some videos of it, it's not the quietest. Hope anyone else camping nearby us doesn't mind the noise at night!!

Last edited:

Gibbyotrl

Harbor freight is great about honoring the replacement plans and I think they offer like a one year and a 3 year. If something goes wrong with it, they just give you a new one. Also we there are lots of coupons for harbor freight too for 20% off one item or sometimes even more. You could also raffle or offer generator as like a door prize for the Jambo. Just some suggestions.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
DUH! this is the best idea. Bet you could rent for $75 a day..
and just FYI, since im flying out and back (i have a job im trying to keep) i won't be taking the generator or projector back with me, in case anyone has a use for those things after the jambo.
Here's one place in Bellingham that rents a Honda eu2000i for $45/day.

and as a side note, it's quieter than the portable generator you'd get at Harbor Freight. The Honda eu2000i mentioned above comes in at around 53 decibels whereas the Harbor Freight Tailgator generator is around 82 decibels.

Last edited:

roguetrader

Vagabond
any idea how many watts an average projector is rated at ? If you're only using it for a night it's very likely a large (110ah +) fully charged battery and cheap inverter would be more than enough power - listening to a generator droning away for hours can seriously spoil the vibe at such a beautiful location...

perhaps someone coming in a van with a solar set up could help with the loan of a battery or two ?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Here's one place in Bellingham that rents a Honda eu2000i for $45/day.
i mean, in terms of cost, at $45/50 a day(i.e. 150-200 dollars for 3-4 days), you might as well just buy a cheap generator ($100). i've used them before and they're not THAT loud, you're not gonna camp right on top of it. get a 100 ft extension cord and it's generally fine (ive used them before).

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Okay, changing gears here slightly.... I just bought this little battery powered projector on ebay for $60:

Amazon.com: RIF6 CUBE Mini Projector - 2 inch Portable Handheld Projector Screen with Built In Speakers and HDMI Input for SmartPhone, Gaming and Home Movie Theater - Pocket Video Projectors with Full LED Display: Office Products - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXS8L6I/?tag=squattheplan-20

So that with a battery bank should solve this problem. I'm going to pick up a battery bank as well but if anyone else has an extra one (maybe @snailormoon could bring theirs?) that would be great. if anyone has one of those backpack solar panels, that would be useful as well.

on a side note, i'll probably bring my nintendo switch just in case.

now that we have that worked out, what movies are we playing?

Last edited:

Bushpig

Wanderer
Paris, Texas
The Wizard
Walkabout
Mad Max 2
Dumb And Dumber
Nebraska
Easy Rider
Vanishing Point
My Own Private Idaho
Natural Born Killers
Cannonball Run
Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey
Need more to choose from?

Peewee's Big Adventure
Wristcutters: A Love Story
Beavis And Butt-head Do America
Zombieland
Two Lane Blacktop
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Paddle To The Sea
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
True Romance
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Little Miss Sunshine
Thelma And Louise
Stand By Me
Sullivan's Travels
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
National Lampoon's Vacation

snailormoon

Wanderer
Okay, changing gears here slightly.... I just bought this little battery powered projector on ebay for $60:

Amazon.com: RIF6 CUBE Mini Projector - 2 inch Portable Handheld Projector Screen with Built In Speakers and HDMI Input for SmartPhone, Gaming and Home Movie Theater - Pocket Video Projectors with Full LED Display: Office Products - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXS8L6I/?tag=squattheplan-20

So that with a battery bank should solve this problem. I'm going to pick up a battery bank as well but if anyone else has an extra one (maybe @snailormoon could bring theirs?) that would be great. if anyone has one of those backpack solar panels, that would be useful as well.

on a side note, i'll probably bring my nintendo switch just in case.

now that we have that worked out, what movies are we playing?
Yep we can fo sho bring the battery bank :)

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Need more to choose from?

Peewee's Big Adventure
Wristcutters: A Love Story
Beavis And Butt-head Do America
Zombieland
Two Lane Blacktop
The Gods Must Be Crazy
Paddle To The Sea
To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar
Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
True Romance
It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
Little Miss Sunshine
Thelma And Louise
Stand By Me
Sullivan's Travels
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
National Lampoon's Vacation
maybe some stuff that's a little less mainstream? i mean there's some great titles on that list, and i would like to see the darjeeling limited at the jambo but maybe we should do more diy/underground stuff...

Bushpig

Wanderer
I forgot about Darjeeling. I have that too. I definitely wouldn't call that underground. I think Two Lane Blacktop, Walkabout, Wristcutters, or Nebraska would fit. Most people I've met haven't heard of them. I have plenty of low budget, indie films, but not many that have a focus on travelling.

EphemeralStick

The Guay Agenda
Please god no Peewee's Big Adventure....
Large Marge forever scarred me as a child and I'd rather not be plagued with night terrors for the following months.

Would Captain Ron count as too mainstream? It's got sailing, comedy, action, and a young Kurt Russell to look at.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.