Only one!

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
I was thinking about living with only one set of each garment. One pair of pants, one t-shirt, one sweater, one jacket, and two sets of underwear for.. good measure.

There would be a set of qualities I would look for in these garments. They should be tough, stain-resistant, and should be resistant to smell. They should be wearable in hot weather and relatively cold weather.

So what do you think? If we don't think about the bucks right now, and you could buy ONE set of the above, what would you go for?

Closest I've come to some choice would be for my pants:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-work-pants-fire-hose-work-pants-92204.aspx

urbanflow

Reaction score
fuck that noise. i want at least three pairs of socks, three pairs of underwear and another pair of pants. preferably a dry set of thermals too. clothes get wet and wet clothes SUCK when you cant get dry/warm.

being wet/cold on the road is basically a death sentence if you dont keep it in check.

:edit:

those pants are pretty sweet though, especially with that guarantee.

http://duluthpack.com/outdoor-gear/...cks/daypacks-backpacks/wanderer-backpack.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUSTRIAN-AR...-MOUNTAIN-SWEATER-BLACK-XS-XXXL-/271084634796

(or something like that)

those pants you posted more than likely

walls work jacket (have one and they are beast)

100% wool (alpaca preferably) blanket, if not the old italian surplus one i have now

http://www.smartwool.com/adventurer-1224.html

lol i added a few things but, just as important to me as the rest.

• Useful
Reactions: Samuel

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
Good ones! Only reason for limiting is that I want to know what you would consider top quality - preferrably tested ones as well, so you know it fits the durability-demands. Love the mountain-sweater, but couldn't find the work jacket :/

And oh, I'm not talking necessarily meant for living on the road, it can also be for while travelling or similar where one would have the possibility to dry the clothes occasionally. I'm simply trying to figure what would be the best choices.

urbanflow

Reaction score
as far as best performance vs. cost goes, dickies pants and walls jacket from walmart.

things i spend money on, boots, my wool blanket, back packs and weed. i just dont want these items to fail. clothes rip, fail and get abused far more frequently than what they are usually meant for.

i know my walls jacket is going to rip or fail eventually but, its cheap enough to the point that i dont feel too bad about risking it while i abuse it. my wool blanket cost me a pretty penny as far as blankets go but, its exactly what i wanted... bombproof and warm.

price doesnt always mean best, ive had a lot of useful tips from places like digihitch and stp. i found a bunch of gear that was highly recommended and fit my needs.

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
Well, don't care much about cost vs. performance, as I would rather buy one expensive pair of pants for 100$ than ten inexpensive pairs at 10$, same goes for sweaters, backpacks or other clothes. Weed I don't care about.

It's a practical thing as well as an environmental thing; I don't want to need a store close to me, so I'd rather want to buy one or two good set that will hold well and can stand to be repaired.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
Well, don't care much about cost vs. performance, as I would rather buy one expensive pair of pants for 100$ than ten inexpensive pairs at 10$, same goes for sweaters, backpacks or other clothes. Weed I don't care about.

It's a practical thing as well as an environmental thing; I don't want to need a store close to me, so I'd rather want to buy one or two good set that will hold well and can stand to be repaired.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Reactions: urbanflow

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Well, you'll also have to factor in what kind of activities you'll be doing. I had a pair of the duluth pants and they're tough, but they aren't for humid places and they aren't for bicycling around, since that will blow out the crotch. I prefer thinner pants which I can wear thermals under instead.

Samuel

Reaction score
Website
www.confusicus.com
Well, basically it's for hitchhiking in Europe this summer, so I don't think that I'll use thermals as the temperature is quite good, so I'm basically looking for clothes that will hold up to camping and tramping, is not too heavy, does not demand cleaning quickly and that can help me avoid carrying too much on my back.

But it's also because I'm looking to replace my wardrobe. In my day-to-day life I have a wardrobe with regular clothes that wear and tear in a normal way, but which I have to use with care in a much bigger degree than I want. I would like all my clothes to be durable and good for use in all conditions - so that I can in one moment be with my family, and in the next moment be in the forrest - without a change.

Third of all, we are hoping to sell off everything we have and buy a small sailboat to live in within a few years, and then storage-space will be an issue. So once again - reducing to the bare basics of what I need, even for day-to-day life.

So that's why I simplified my questions; basically because I want to travel as light as possible, with as few sets of clothes as possible - at the same time being able to go from walking, to driving, to paddling down a river, to climbing up a small mountainside - without having to change too much.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads