Old school bindle

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
Will be heading back on the road on Dec. 6th with my pups after taking a almost two months break. Instead of carrying a huge pack this time I instead decided to stay traditional and will be using a bindle with a woobie blanket ( poncho liner) tied to the end of my bindle stick. The bandana is a red 42x42 inch bandana and it holds a change of clothes , water related stuff , some grub and a cooking pot. I'll also be wearing my m65 field jacket and my military poncho andmy dogs carry their own food. I also will have my guitar a d my harmonica.

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_094330.jpg
    IMG_20191122_094330.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 457

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Great! Share some pictures and write up your travel updates when on the road, would love to read them. You said, dogs? How many traveling with you? Just curious.

• Agree
Reactions: Irate Pirate

croc

Reaction score
I'm interested in how comfortable that is long term

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
I'm interested in how comfortable that is long term
Same. I made one once out of necessity to carry many beers into the Human Powered Carnival. It was novel and all but I got real sick of totin' that thing around after a while. I was happy to no longer have to when all the beers were finally gone. I'm not trying to discourage you though, @TheTexasRoadrunner! I genuinely hope yours works out and you have a great time using it too.

• Agree
Reactions: RoadFlower33
D

Deleted member 125

Ok 1. I have three dogs ( crazy I know)
2 . It's actually not bad I went walking with it around lufkin the other day and I didn't ache or anything

give it a few days. this is going to become a huge pain in the ass. especially with 3 dogs dude holy shit.

also whats up with the picture of underpants in the first photo?

D

Deleted member 20

I think that depression era solutions were built out of what was available. Today, the surplus of Jansport backpacks, pickle bags and better alternative s are readily available for free/cheap. Within hours it's possible to replace with better alternatives than this. This is just completely impractical. Where does one attach their modern sleeping bag? Why is a wool blanket bedroll also a choice? Traveling is hard enough with the best available high tech military/sporting gear and workwear. I have met a few green travelers that initialy held similar nostalgic desires for purist reenactment. Please update if/when you experiment a bit. Does traveling solo with 3 dogs also sound really difficult to others?

Last edited:

Dameon

Reaction score
Get a backpack. A bindle stick in the modern era is stupid, and you're going to get real sick of that with 3 dogs and a guitar real quick. Three dogs is pretty impractical for the road, you're going to be moving very slowly.

• Agree
Reactions: Anagor

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Opening that thing up to get something then tying it back up over an over.. prob gonna be annoying but maybe you are practising patience or something.. a back pack would hold more too.. as for dogs, travelling with them is ok, if there not mine. While I do like dogs, maybe ill get one, one day in the future some time... but iv already had one before, but not while travelling, can't imagine people who travel with kids.. well i can.. but yeah.

All the best with your stick bag bro.

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
I been traveling with the dogs for years so it isn't new to me , as for impractical I don't see the point in that considering that I don't care for all the expensive gear. And if the dogs are slowing me down then so be it I ain't got places to be anyways except for Britt and rail days in Mississippi. Also the " bedroll" is just my poncho liner. Don't need a lot of shit to carry around especially when you can dumpster dive or mother Earth provides. Simple as that. Not even mad just saying lol 😂

Irate Pirate

Reaction score
Ok 1. I have three dogs ( crazy I know)
2 . It's actually not bad I went walking with it around lufkin the other day and I didn't ache or anything
Fuckin' A, dude that's great! I love it! I would 100% pick you up if I saw you hitchhiking somewhere.
I've had some decent packs over the years (and some terrible ones too) and I'd always give them away or lose them whenever I was housed up for a bit. About 10 years ago I just started using a straight up 2 compartment backpack that my friend stole from american apparel when she worked there and I still have it. It's simple, works great and it ensures that I only take what I need. Your bindle is sort of along those same lines but way cooler. I hope you stick with it. Good luck & happy travels!

Barf

Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but could someone explain/post link on how to tie a classic bindle?

A bandana and a strong stick tied just right?

I always figured there would have to be a well placed knot/groove on the stick to keep it from sliding down and being a pain in the ass.

@TheTexasRoadrunner - I really dig your gumption. Do what you want. Do what makes you happy, and take care of those pups. ❤️

Reactions: TheTexasRoadrunner

TheTexasRoadrunner

Reaction score
I know this is a little off topic, but could someone explain/post link on how to tie a classic bindle?

A bandana and a strong stick tied just right?

I always figured there would have to be a well placed knot/groove on the stick to keep it from sliding down and being a pain in the ass.

@TheTexasRoadrunner - I really dig your gumption. Do what you want. Do what makes you happy, and take care of those pups. ❤

Here yuh go

ResistMuchObeyLittle

Reaction score
Wool blankets are over-rated. I had one i used in the North Cascades and I froze my ass off! I ended up buying a nice 20 degree bag off of a PCT hiker. Problem solved.
To hell with making things any harder than they already are.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads