official declaration of takeover | Squat the Planet

official declaration of takeover

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
So I've stayed at a few squats now where I saw a very official paper on the entrances that stated that the tenants were tired of being harassed, and had legal right to be there. I just now popping my first long term squat am interested in a template of such document as to make my squat seem more official. I've read around and can not find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
Who owns it? How long was it vacant? Does it appear legally habitable?
I have taken care of that it is definitely a very good long term squat. i just want something flashy for the neighbors that call the cops. Im sorry but im not going to answer your questions for security reasons but, this isnt the first squat I've popped, its the first one i can forsee years in and i want legal coverage. I havent seen anything on stp about these legal measures before but I've seen a lot of long term squats with them. That is what im inquiring about.

Reactions: Juan Derlust

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
I have power in my name, the squat is completely secured. I know the previous owner and have talked to them, i know the local company and their workers that do the property preservation for the bank that currently neglects the property and they have a turn around rate of 5 years in the area. My question is has anyone else seen the declaration of residency on squat entrances?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
In all the squats I've been to and been involved with, I have never heard of this official notice posting you're talking about.

If the cops show, tell them you are the legal tenant, show them your utility bills and then it becomes a civil matter at that point.

Google homes not jails, the squatters handbook, and look at the squatting zine portion of our library for more information.

roguetrader

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean - practically every squat in England used to have an identical photocopied sign stating that 'we are now occupying the building, it is a civil offence us being here and a criminal offence for anyone to evict without going to court' - if there is an American equivalent I imagine any US based squatters advisory services would be the best place to start

Reactions: nastynaty

blank

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Does the UK not have laws against criminal trespass? But I think what OP is looking for is binding sounding legalese to scare off neighbors. Just make a bunch of stuff up.

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
Okay so im a bit more sober now. I've seen these declarations in nola and just last month in chicago. The one in chicago was so official i thought it was from the bank. But rougetrader has the idea, it's mostly stating "i am here and its illegal to bother me unless you legally evict me".

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Okay so im a bit more sober now. I've seen these declarations in nola and just last month in chicago. The one in chicago was so official i thought it was from the bank. But rougetrader has the idea, it's mostly stating "i am here and its illegal to bother me unless you legally evict me".

I'd really like to see one of these, if you come across a copy let us know, maybe we can add it to the file library.

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
I'd really like to see one of these, if you come across a copy let us know, maybe we can add it to the file library.
Yeah that was kind of what i was hoping would already be available. I'll be back in chicago in a month or so, and ill stop by and get a copy then.

D

Deleted member 125

Yeah that was kind of what i was hoping would already be available. I'll be back in chicago in a month or so, and ill stop by and get a copy then.

Far as I know no official document says anything along the lines of "leave me alone and come back with a warrant" or something along those lines, but if anything I would reckon it might make cops or landlords think twice before knocking down yer door or maybe buy you some time to avoid a ticket or a b&e charge. If you do find something that even looks official please upload it if you can I would love to see it.

Maxnomad

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Seconded homes not jails, i think its basically one dude who went to law school specifically to represent squatters (in cali)
For what its worth ive heard nm has some of the easiest requirements for common law posession; also, if you do get fucked w by the bank and you dont feel like going to war youre in a position to do cash for keys, settle out of court for like half what they would be paying a lawyer. This was a pretty big hustle in like 08 i think

roguetrader

Reaction score
in reply to @blank - here in England the law regarding squatting residential property changed in Sept 2012 - basically it went from being a civil to a criminal offence.... this has had a major effect on the scene, it is a shadow of it's former self in London.....

regarding the original post can @Older Than Dirt our resident Judge Judy / legal eagle offer any advice ?

• Useful
Reactions: marmar

Stiv Rhodes

Reaction score
So it's bank owned, that's the main reason I was asking. I've heard of people posting a notice declaring themselves managing/in charge of/in possession of a property that really had no owner, like the last owner died with no next of kin. If you're trying to present yourselves as renting tenants, posting a notice on the door looks weird.

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
So I've stayed at a few squats now where I saw a very official paper on the entrances that stated that the tenants were tired of being harassed, and had legal right to be there. I just now popping my first long term squat am interested in a template of such document as to make my squat seem more official. I've read around and can not find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muffin Mouth

Reaction score
This is from abroad, but you can print it and tweak it a bit to sound more American (get rid of the part referring to a fine in pounds) . It might help discourage an owner or authority figure from infringing on the space you occupy even if the legality it asserts does not apply. It might make them think twice before breaking in, and in that time hopefully you can get some mail addressed to yourself sent to the space to further slow down an eviction scenario. The classic loop hole is to get mail for everyone in your crew sent to the space because if/when an official eviction notice comes it will only be for the person they are aware is staying there - then when they come to evict someone else presents evidence they also live there and the process starts again. This game causes owners a great deal of stress and might lead to favorable negotiations. "Let us stay hear for free and we will maintain the property" starts to sound like a good arrangement when they realize possession is nine tenths of the law.
legal notice squat.png

• Useful
Reactions: nastynaty

nastynaty

Reaction score
Website
www.readdesert.org
This is from abroad, but you can print it and tweak it a bit to sound more American (get rid of the part referring to a fine in pounds) . It might help discourage an owner or authority figure from infringing on the space you occupy even if the legality it asserts does not apply. It might make them think twice before breaking in, and in that time hopefully you can get some mail addressed to yourself sent to the space to further slow down an eviction scenario. The classic loop hole is to get mail for everyone in your crew sent to the space because if/when an official eviction notice comes it will only be for the person they are aware is staying there - then when they come to evict someone else presents evidence they also live there and the process starts again. This game causes owners a great deal of stress and might lead to favorable negotiations. "Let us stay hear for free and we will maintain the property" starts to sound like a good arrangement when they realize possession is nine tenths of the law. View attachment 52899

Now thats a lot like what I've seen. Thank you very much for that resource! Can you explain the video this is taken from though i might want to watch it?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads