official declaration of takeover (1 Viewer)

nastynaty

Pilgrim
Current Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.readdesert.org
So I've stayed at a few squats now where I saw a very official paper on the entrances that stated that the tenants were tired of being harassed, and had legal right to be there. I just now popping my first long term squat am interested in a template of such document as to make my squat seem more official. I've read around and can not find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
Current Location
in medias res
disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about

that said, How I'd proceed: find out what you can about the property (research) County records, parcel deed, tax history, etc. All the time keeping a low profile.
Every gambler knows data is key for calculating odds.

& you - you got long term intent to inhabit /occupy this place? Learn all you can regarding ownership of the property - is this an absentee landlord in a state institution and now the parcel is being administered by the city? I was able to inhabit a two bedroom unattached house six blocks from the beach in Venice for that very reason during the the 90s (last century). Knowledge is advantage so wise up
order whatever services you can afford water power gas trash collection etc. that is if you intend to establish some sort of adverse possession claim. anyway this all depends on where you intend to go with this

Last edited:
OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Pilgrim
Current Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.readdesert.org
Who owns it? How long was it vacant? Does it appear legally habitable?
I have taken care of that it is definitely a very good long term squat. i just want something flashy for the neighbors that call the cops. Im sorry but im not going to answer your questions for security reasons but, this isnt the first squat I've popped, its the first one i can forsee years in and i want legal coverage. I havent seen anything on stp about these legal measures before but I've seen a lot of long term squats with them. That is what im inquiring about.

OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Pilgrim
Current Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.readdesert.org
I have power in my name, the squat is completely secured. I know the previous owner and have talked to them, i know the local company and their workers that do the property preservation for the bank that currently neglects the property and they have a turn around rate of 5 years in the area. My question is has anyone else seen the declaration of residency on squat entrances?

Juan Derlust

Current Location
in medias res
First rule of STP

Nobody here is master of their situation
(by my reckoning, anyway - else they'd have their own Food Network channel, like Paula Deen...)
- plan accordingly

we're all lab rats - scurrying through the maze of our wretched existence

anyway looks like you scored big
I'd keep it quiet - at least until you've made your first quarter million, then you can crow all you want

I don't know if you're shoehorned inbetween your neighbors or whether you got a fence; post No Trespassing signs (if those are well-enforced in your municipality)

Juan Derlust

Current Location
in medias res
you're casting about for feedback don't worry about your friggin grammar

you're communicating your inquiry fine

Juan Derlust

Current Location
in medias res
if it's owned by the bank*, then it's just a matter of time - hang on what you can and don't sink too much into it (money/resources-wise)

depending on the building, you could (by way of publicity stunt) inhabit it with families and become a local news cause-célèbre...

*The bank can afford to hang onto it until the right buyer comes along

Time could be five weeks five months or more than five years

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
In all the squats I've been to and been involved with, I have never heard of this official notice posting you're talking about.

If the cops show, tell them you are the legal tenant, show them your utility bills and then it becomes a civil matter at that point.

Google homes not jails, the squatters handbook, and look at the squatting zine portion of our library for more information.

Juan Derlust

Current Location
in medias res
Depending on your state/local laws, you may have viable legal limbo between tenancy & legitimacy

I say dig in your heels

roguetrader

Wanderer
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
I know exactly what you mean - practically every squat in England used to have an identical photocopied sign stating that 'we are now occupying the building, it is a civil offence us being here and a criminal offence for anyone to evict without going to court' - if there is an American equivalent I imagine any US based squatters advisory services would be the best place to start

blank

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Current Location
Southern GA
Does the UK not have laws against criminal trespass? But I think what OP is looking for is binding sounding legalese to scare off neighbors. Just make a bunch of stuff up.

OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Pilgrim
Current Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.readdesert.org
Okay so im a bit more sober now. I've seen these declarations in nola and just last month in chicago. The one in chicago was so official i thought it was from the bank. But rougetrader has the idea, it's mostly stating "i am here and its illegal to bother me unless you legally evict me".

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Okay so im a bit more sober now. I've seen these declarations in nola and just last month in chicago. The one in chicago was so official i thought it was from the bank. But rougetrader has the idea, it's mostly stating "i am here and its illegal to bother me unless you legally evict me".
I'd really like to see one of these, if you come across a copy let us know, maybe we can add it to the file library.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Yeah that was kind of what i was hoping would already be available. I'll be back in chicago in a month or so, and ill stop by and get a copy then.
Far as I know no official document says anything along the lines of "leave me alone and come back with a warrant" or something along those lines, but if anything I would reckon it might make cops or landlords think twice before knocking down yer door or maybe buy you some time to avoid a ticket or a b&e charge. If you do find something that even looks official please upload it if you can I would love to see it.

Maxnomad

I've been muted for 30 days.
muted
Current Location
San Luis Obispo
Seconded homes not jails, i think its basically one dude who went to law school specifically to represent squatters (in cali)
For what its worth ive heard nm has some of the easiest requirements for common law posession; also, if you do get fucked w by the bank and you dont feel like going to war youre in a position to do cash for keys, settle out of court for like half what they would be paying a lawyer. This was a pretty big hustle in like 08 i think

roguetrader

Wanderer
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
in reply to @blank - here in England the law regarding squatting residential property changed in Sept 2012 - basically it went from being a civil to a criminal offence.... this has had a major effect on the scene, it is a shadow of it's former self in London.....

regarding the original post can @Older Than Dirt our resident Judge Judy / legal eagle offer any advice ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $20.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $20.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $20.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $20.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Back online... Sorry I haven´t been active. Moving to the UK with my little family for a while.
50% of needed gas funds for OR trip obtained ✔
Bey
The Dumpster giveth...! Good skipping today, with some line struggle, though, over the freegan vs. "meegan" positions...
van dwelling in san antonio. about to get on the road to oregon or someplace by end of the month. i'm still so fucked up about my dear friend @Multifaceted passing away and need to get out of our hometown..
Confirmation that travel expenses will be covered has been APPROVED! I'M OUTTA HERE!
For years now I've been told to check out r/vagabond and I looked into it. Its terrible and I'm glad i haven't met those people.
Glad to be active again here on STP. I realize now how much I missed this community
Heading to Oregon this week...anyone wanna ride along?
I'm leaving MN in Spring!

Staff online