official declaration of takeover (1 Viewer)

Stiv Rhodes

Current Location
Seattle, WA
So it's bank owned, that's the main reason I was asking. I've heard of people posting a notice declaring themselves managing/in charge of/in possession of a property that really had no owner, like the last owner died with no next of kin. If you're trying to present yourselves as renting tenants, posting a notice on the door looks weird.

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

Muffin Mouth

Lurker
Current Location
St Augustine Florida
So I've stayed at a few squats now where I saw a very official paper on the entrances that stated that the tenants were tired of being harassed, and had legal right to be there. I just now popping my first long term squat am interested in a template of such document as to make my squat seem more official. I've read around and can not find anything similar. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muffin Mouth

Lurker
Current Location
St Augustine Florida
This is from abroad, but you can print it and tweak it a bit to sound more American (get rid of the part referring to a fine in pounds) . It might help discourage an owner or authority figure from infringing on the space you occupy even if the legality it asserts does not apply. It might make them think twice before breaking in, and in that time hopefully you can get some mail addressed to yourself sent to the space to further slow down an eviction scenario. The classic loop hole is to get mail for everyone in your crew sent to the space because if/when an official eviction notice comes it will only be for the person they are aware is staying there - then when they come to evict someone else presents evidence they also live there and the process starts again. This game causes owners a great deal of stress and might lead to favorable negotiations. "Let us stay hear for free and we will maintain the property" starts to sound like a good arrangement when they realize possession is nine tenths of the law.
legal-notice-squat-png.52899_official declaration of takeover_Squatting_Squat the Planet_1:00 PM

OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Current Location
Santa Fe
This is from abroad, but you can print it and tweak it a bit to sound more American (get rid of the part referring to a fine in pounds) . It might help discourage an owner or authority figure from infringing on the space you occupy even if the legality it asserts does not apply. It might make them think twice before breaking in, and in that time hopefully you can get some mail addressed to yourself sent to the space to further slow down an eviction scenario. The classic loop hole is to get mail for everyone in your crew sent to the space because if/when an official eviction notice comes it will only be for the person they are aware is staying there - then when they come to evict someone else presents evidence they also live there and the process starts again. This game causes owners a great deal of stress and might lead to favorable negotiations. "Let us stay hear for free and we will maintain the property" starts to sound like a good arrangement when they realize possession is nine tenths of the law. View attachment 52899
Now thats a lot like what I've seen. Thank you very much for that resource! Can you explain the video this is taken from though i might want to watch it?

Muffin Mouth

Lurker
Current Location
St Augustine Florida
Now thats a lot like what I've seen. Thank you very much for that resource! Can you explain the video this is taken from though i might want to watch it?
I came across it while listening to Danbert Nobacon's solo album on youtube and remembered that you were looking for something like it. There is lots of other little gems of squatter eye candy sprinkled throughout. I hope everything is going well with your takeover.

void gaze

Lurker
Current Location
Massachusetts
"possession is nine tenths of the law" not really though... i would remind that u.s. law is very very strongly biased towards property rights above civil or human rights, and cops are very biased against the poor and tend to go by that rather than always follow the actual law, especially when no one else is around to see. if you are looking to settle in, i hope it works - you should really make a careful study of the laws and statutes that pertain to adverse possession and standards around occupancy/tenancy where you are living. eviction can be a very complicated thing (although a lot of u.s. jurisdictions have streamlined it since the late 00s foreclosure wave and subsequent increase in squatting) but arresting someone for trespassing is definitely not. i don't think anything anyone on this site could tell you should be considered a substitute for knowing the actual laws and regulations that apply to your situation so that you can get around them or use them to your advantage. it seems like you have a good grasp of the basic idea but these laws and rules can differ by state, county or town/city

Sleyeborg

Lurker
Current Location
Roswell nm
Yoooooo santa fe nm???? I would like to be a satellite to your hub. Been squatting at some places. But honestly no one has joined up. Anyway, if any of your squat fam needs a place to stay on the way to Carlsbad or el Paso hmu cause I got some squatting places around here.

Sleyeborg

Lurker
Current Location
Roswell nm
Yoooooo santa fe nm???? I would like to be a satellite to your hub. Been squatting at some places. But honestly no one has joined up. Anyway, if any of your squat fam needs a place to stay on the way to Carlsbad or el Paso hmu cause I got some squatting places around here.
About the legal shit, you really just need to document it. Like for me I made an instagram @daspunkhaus (now I'm changing it to @occupy.abandoned (lost passkey) but anyway i just take pictures that say fuck bank of america and show how I make improvements. Then after 10 years in nm you can use these to declare adverse possession. I don't think there is much of a template. You could write a poem about how man was born free and property is theft. It would suffice. (May not stop people from trying to stop you though). What I feel is best at stopping people from squashing the vibe of the squat is normalising the squat with a semi functional sense of community in some way, and that is why people are needed. Anyway, just maybe talking out my ass here. But I'd love to stop by next time I'm in Santa fe.

weirdshit

Lurker
Current Location
Cincy
This link might help a bit it's for Texas but I'm sure the steps are similar for most states.

And I attached a avidavit of adverse possession document out of Texas which might give you a good starting point for what you need.
0731met_squatter_document.tif.jpg
Don't forget to get your document notarized too. Hope this helped in someway.

Attachments

OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Current Location
Santa Fe
Thanks everyone for the adverse possession advice and resources. Im not seeking adverse possession really just tenancy. Im sure i will eventually want to have a place to call my own but it probably isn't going to be here. I'm am just working on some projects here in the local diy scene for a little while and squatting to have a place for me and those who need it. Thats why im only trying to scare off potential door knockers.

OP
nastynaty

nastynaty

Current Location
Santa Fe
@Sleyeborg just send me a message whenever youre in the area! Also if you need any legal resources for NM I've compiled a list of local laws and regulations in regards to their chapter and section in NM statute on adverse possesion, property, and criminal trespass.

Sleyeborg

Lurker
Current Location
Roswell nm
Omg same here. 100 percent. Being a tenant, adversely possessing. Might as well be the same. Just throw monkey wrenches in the gears and be good to your place until you move on. Hopefully others will benefit. I'll have to make a trip up next month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$15.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $15.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $15.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $15.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $15.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The self defense group is going so far so great!
Three years of loving and caring, down the backed up toilet.
I feel uncomfortable with all of the transphobic micro-aggressions being thrown around here lately. I also feel uncomfortable standing up in defense of trans folk, me included, in fear of developing discourse without the consequence of proper accountability.
Barf wrote on Brodiesel710's profile.
There's a fish in the percolator
I'm in NYC. What's good? Anyone wanna kick it? Where can I camp without getting hassled?
Roof vent is installed, fixed the side mirror, mounted the solar panels and ran the wires into the van. Currently working on putting in the floor. It's a lot but I'm making steady progress.
Anyone is Portland wanna kick it for a night and get motey'd up?!
Wowzers I'm glad I was off the site for the duration of The Pronoun Thread, as it's been titled. Holy shit. I know for a fact I would have gotten sucked into it and I'm not sure if that would've been a good thing lol
48 hours from HELL, lost thirteen hundred dollars, thats a fuckload on a pension! lost two ducks to the heat, the key for teh vespa is goign to cost an unbelievable amount says the cheerful vespa mechanic,and i need two new tyres, a new belt and rollersaswell! the generator died, wake up, the dogs cold and dead besides me and for the icing on the cake, lost my fucking bankcard and the bank tellers was a twat to me!!!ANYONE nearby bring booze and cigs and cheer!!!!FARRRKKKKKKK
On the side of the road 8 miles from Paint Rock, TX

Members online