Newbies looking to Hitchhike cross-country! ? | Squat the Planet

Newbies looking to Hitchhike cross-country! ?

D

Deleted member 15860

Hello! I've been reading StP for a while now, but just posting for the first time today!
As of right now, my friend Sarah and I are aiming to mostly hitchhike across the country from NYC to Los Angeles, going along the Southernmost parts of the US in mid May. We're inexperienced as hitchhikers, which is why we're looking for any advice people have to give us.
A quick introduction, though-
We're two college students going to school in NYC for art. We're experienced dumpster divers and have spent a decent amount of time helping out with FNB, hanging out with various direct-action activist groups and that whole scene. Always looking for more people in NYC to hang with! I've also done a lot of Craiglist rideshare-ing. I'm from Los Angeles, Sarah is from Tennessee. We both draw a whole bunch, make prints and make our own sketchbooks.
For our going across the country bit, we wanted to take a music-related route- Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, maybe Austin, maybe Taos to visit the FnB Free Skool land, or really anything along the way. We have people we know in most of those major cities, so sleeping when we're in the big cities probably won't be too much of a problem, what we're mostly thinking about is how realistic it is to go across the WHOLE COUNTRY! We'll get some mace, just to be careful (We're two girls, albeit tough ones). We're pretty outdoorsy people, despite living in the big city, and have a decent understanding of nature smarts and are pretty resourceful. (Dumpster diving, edible plant foraging, climbing around n whatnot).
How bout it, do you think we can do it? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
(Wasn't sure whether to put this in hitchhiking or introductions)

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
You can do it as long as you're realistic about it. Hitching through the southwest is no joke, hitching in Texas isn't too fun either. In fact, the i10 itself can be a total headache regardless of where you are on it.

Be smart, be safe. Read as much as you can and use the search before asking questions.

Welcome to StP.

awkwardshelby

Reaction score
Website
shelbycriswell.com
don't be afraid to walk away from situations that feel sketchy in lieu of missing out.

My friend here said it best. If you feel unsafe in anyway, get the hell away from there if possible. Don't be afraid to kinda play with a knife or mace just to show you're not someone who should be fucked with. There will always be opportunities later down the line similar or even better than the one you missed out on.

Glad you both have someone else to travel with, it can get pretty lonely going it alone. Get another road dog, someone experienced, if you feel like it, even just for a little while to show you the ropes.

Welcome to the community!

Z

zipty6425

I second that motion. Traveling solo gets soo lonely and boring... I travelled all over the western 2/3 of the country alone for the last year and a half... In some ways it was awesome! In alot of ways, it really just sucked... It all depends on your situation...
In larger cities, it's so hard to get a ride... But the bus systems will usually get you thru the bulk of any sizeable city. Just get your hand's on a few bucks

SammyG

Reaction score
Hello! I've been reading StP for a while now, but just posting for the first time today!
As of right now, my friend Sarah and I are aiming to mostly hitchhike across the country from NYC to Los Angeles, going along the Southernmost parts of the US in mid May. We're inexperienced as hitchhikers, which is why we're looking for any advice people have to give us.
We're two college students going to school in NYC for art. We're experienced dumpster divers and have spent a decent amount of time helping out with FNB, hanging out with various direct-action activist groups and that whole scene. Always looking for more people in NYC to hang with! I've also done a lot of Craiglist rideshare-ing. I'm from Los Angeles, Sarah is from Tennessee. We both draw a whole bunch, make prints and make our own sketchbooks.
For our going across the country bit, we wanted to take a music-related route- Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, maybe Austin, maybe Taos to visit the FnB Free Skool land, or really anything along the way. We have people we know in most of those major cities, so sleeping when we're in the big cities probably won't be too much of a problem, what we're mostly thinking about is how realistic it is to go across the WHOLE COUNTRY! We'll get some mace, just to be careful (We're two girls, albeit tough ones). We're pretty outdoorsy people, despite living in the big city, and have a decent understanding of nature smarts and are pretty resourceful. (Dumpster diving, edible plant foraging, climbing around n whatnot).
I got a couch for y'all in Minneapolis Minnesota if you pass through!

Reactions: blumerang
D

Deleted member 15860

Of course you can do it! Watch you're top knot and don't be afraid to walk away from situations that feel sketchy in lieu of missing out. Watch and have each other's backs and have fun!
Great advice, thankya!

My friend here said it best. If you feel unsafe in anyway, get the hell away from there if possible.
We will! Thanks!

You can do it as long as you're realistic about it. Hitching through the southwest is no joke, hitching in Texas isn't too fun either. In fact, the i10 itself can be a total headache regardless of where you are on it.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Yeah, we're both a little weary of Texas. I think we're going to stick to the i-40 for most of the trip unless something pops up.

But the bus systems will usually get you thru the bulk of any sizeable city. Just get your hand's on a few bucks
Good to know!

I got a couch for y'all in Minneapolis Minnesota if you pass through!
Wow, thank you! That's great : )

Thanks for the welcomes and the much-needed advice!

Leo Cristo

Reaction score
fuck yeah, hitching can be exhausting so know when to tap out and post up for the day youre going to need the energy.

D

Deleted member 15860

Hey everybody! Thanks for all the great advice, Sarah and I made it to the west coast in record time back in May. It was a blast and I'm planning on doing a little write up with photos at some point.
To Joyce, sorry I didn't see this sooner! I'll be back in NY in a few months if ya wanna say hey : )
Thanks for the offer, Wonder, unfortunately we didn't pass through that part of Texas, just Amarillo. Otherwise, that woulda been great!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads