New Zealand Freights | Squat the Planet

New Zealand Freights

N

NickCofphee

Sad to report that it looks pretty bad for train hopping over here. I found the yard easy enough in Auckland and basically:

-Trains seem to be very short, like 20 cars long.
-Nearly every train is single stacked IM trains. Different platforms though than in the US. There's an end, but absolutely no wells or even any siding. Just a flat porch. Rideable, but not a great ride at all. Other trains carry logs.
-There are some possibilities which I'm going to keep studying up on. I noticed what appeared like a small space to ride on some of the oil tankers. Very cramped, but rideable. Although I'd have to peak inside to know for sure. Also, there is a third ride, which carries big lumber. Not cut into boards yet, just the logs. If one was only half fileld, or empty, could be ok to ride.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
interesting, please keep us posted!

N

NickCofphee

Widerstand said:
Could you please take some yard photos and photos of these rail cars?

When you say they are single stacks with no wells are saying that it is just a shipping container on a flat car? COFC?

Shipping container on a flat car. Definetly will take photos, good idea. I'm waiting on a camera to come in the mail. My last one was stolen in Roseville one week before I left. Bastard tweekers!

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
I will be so disappointed in you if you come back without riding any trains!

Have fun keep in touch!

macks

Ballsy Adventurer
Reaction score
Website
macksemil.wordpress.com
Well, not everything The Captain does is possible for mere mortals.

I heard one time he chopped down a tree with his penis, build a raft and suicide dropped niagra falls, all under the intense arrow fire of an angry tribe of natives!

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Well, not everything The Captain does is possible for mere mortals.

I heard one time he chopped down a tree with his penis, build a raft and suicide dropped niagra falls, all under the intense arrow fire of an angry tribe of natives!

And despite all that choppin', he never did shake the syphilis out of the penis.

blackmatter

Reaction score
thats awesome ive been hoping to do that eventually get a job on a yacht as a crew member from san diego and offto hawaii then fiji then new zealand theres only one line down there on the north island for auckland to the south somewhere. thats real cool ive heard freight hopping in australia has good prospects. im stoked for you ride safe but please ride

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads