Need to get to northern cali by train!!!

Eli Whitney

Reaction score
Anyone who has any advice on how to get to, or closer to northern cali from st louis by hopping a train please message me or reply im looking at the U.P map. and can see what route i want to take im thinking going to kansas city first which should be easy considering there seems to be only one line running west to KC from south of stl which im very close to im gettting a ride tomarrow from a friend to the yard to scope things out and find the best spot to get on.It seems like getting on the right line going out of KC will be the hardest part considering theres so many lines running every which direction.Ive been researching trainhopping for months now and im quite confident i wont get myself killed that being said...any one with any info on all this please help i need to get the fuck out of the midwest!!!! Thank you....:D Also i downloaded the railraod atlas but need the password!!

Eli Whitney

Reaction score
False confidence brought on by stupidity and impulsive behavior kills.....Thank you,you definatly have a good point i see alot of kids these days doing stupid things putting themselves into stupid situations and bad things happening as a result.

Jessica Rabbit

Reaction score
My Uncle is an Engineer for KCS, He said avoid the "Hobo Hole" It's a good way to get hurt. He said if you Hop a train stay away from the freight cars, and Cargo, the best place to ride is in the engine room. Cargo trains sometimes have as many as 3 engine rooms, pick the farthest one in the back and stay on the opposite side of the Engineer to avoid being seen. They are always unlocked Its heated and cooled and has a bathroom, The railroad workers rarely check them. If you get noticed the Engineer and Conductor Normally don't care and are sometimes hospitable as long as you let them know you are not going to touch anything especially the freight cars because they are mostly worried about theft. He also says, He has even had people ask him where the train was going and if they could ride, he says most railroad workers dont care. Good luck to you on your travels~

D

Deleted member 2626

woahhhh there jessica rabbit i wouldnt be suggested to someone whose never rode to ride the fuckin engines or to just always ask workers for help that isn't such a great idea. sure riding freight cars and cargo as you put it is more dangerous but getting caught wise naw. Take a look at some of these forums and you'll see getting caught in a unit doesnt always end well

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Regarding the "Hobo Hole".. Its really just an over glorified "fifi". They are found usually in the corners of certain boxcars and back in the cubby hole on most grainers. The major danger lies in not knowing what type o previous hobo has used the hobo hole. Its always a good idea to use protection. The metal can also get really cold or really hot so its recommended to stick a finger in there first in order to gauge the temperature before you make a commitment that you may later regret.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yeah dude........... DON'T RIDE UNITS kiddos.......unless you are experienced and know what your gettin into or gonna freeze to death.........THEY DON'T WANT YOU IN THE UNITS!!!!

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Yup. Units are to be treated as a last resort. You should really be prepared for the type of weather your expected to go up against but sometimes the unexpected occurs.

Also in regards to riding a GM they are not worried in any way about you stealing 2x4s, potash, corn syrup, giant rolls of paper etc... The bulls main job is to curtail theft and there is a reson he will say "stay off my money trains" because IM boxes carry high value goods but GMs have bulk shit on them that you cant really steal. A TV from an IM can cost a company $100 or so. A pack pack full of plastic pellets or lime will run them pennies...

Jessica Rabbit

Reaction score
@ TaTanka, Well My Uncle Has been an Engineer for Years he is about to retire from KCS, He would not give me bad information, because He would not want me to get hurt. He says that they are told to leave the engine rooms unlocked, because no matter what people are always going to find a way to hop trains. They would rather people ride in the unlocked engine rooms where they would be safe, than have people tear up the freight cars trying to get in, or have a liability on their hands if you were to get hurt or die. Also of course it would be better to try to ride and not be seen than to ask permission and be told no and call attention to yourself.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads