Photos - Need some advice on a Bus | Squat the Planet

Photos Need some advice on a Bus

Colton

Reaction score
So before I met my current partner she bought a bus. She wants to convert it into a home and I am all for the idea (i have been living in my truck off and on for a while), anyways. The bus was originally turned into a home however it was never insulated and when she got it the current interior was falling apart. She has removed or at least demolished most of what was there, This was also done before we met.

I know that if we do this it will be a fuck-ton of work so dont bother mentioning that. What I do want is your honest opinion on weather its even worth it considering the shape of the bus. Its a 1977 Gillig. Be brutally honest about the kind of work that would need to be done to make this thing even livable. The bus runs well however there is an oil leak which does pose quite a problem but atleast we know about it, anyways. Here are some pictures any advice from where to start once its cleaned out to letting us know if we should just scrap the thing would be much appreciated! thanks

Attachments

• Bus_01.jpg
    Bus_01.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 370
  • Bus_02.jpg
    Bus_02.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 309
  • Bus_03.jpg
    Bus_03.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 279
  • Bus_04.jpg
    Bus_04.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 300
  • Bus_05.jpg
    Bus_05.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 295
  • Bus_06.jpg
    Bus_06.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 294
  • Bus_07.jpg
    Bus_07.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Bus_08.jpg
    Bus_08.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 283
  • Bus_09.jpg
    Bus_09.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 279
  • Bus_10.jpg
    Bus_10.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Bus_11.jpg
    Bus_11.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 308
  • Bus_12.jpg
    Bus_12.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Bus_13.jpg
    Bus_13.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Bus_14.jpg
    Bus_14.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 280

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
One person's junk is another persons treasure. I see potential and if it were me, I would certainly if able attempt to fix it. It will take time and effort but nothing worth having is easy. Certainly keep us updated on the progress. Safe travels friend.

Colton

Reaction score
One person's junk is another persons treasure. I see potential and if it were me, I would certainly if able attempt to fix it. It will take time and effort but nothing worth having is easy. Certainly keep us updated on the progress. Safe travels friend.

I understand that, One of my main concerns is that since the previous owner drilled everything to the inside walls without removing them to insulate is that the outer shell is now majorly rusted and could be potentially unfix-able. I also understand that for me to know for sure i need to remove the inner panels.

Thanks for the encouragement though!

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
I understand that, One of my main concerns is that since the previous owner drilled everything to the inside walls without removing them to insulate is that the outer shell is now majorly rusted and could be potentially unfix-able. I also understand that for me to know for sure i need to remove the inner panels

It might be a lost cause, it all boils down to the investment and time your willing to commit. Even with me looking at all the photos it is still hard to judge or make a professional call to determine if it is worth fixing.

Sure there are a lot of underlying issues that we can't see in the photos and will spring up as you continue the work.

Is this this something your actually wanting to take across country or something that will more than likely stay stationary for living purposes, or both?

Colton

Reaction score
Is this this something your actually wanting to take across country or something that will more than likely stay stationary for living purposes, or both?

We would like to be able to move it around but the intention would be to have it be stationary the majority of the time.

Edit: Ill definitely put up more pictures once we start taking out the inner shell

Hobo Mud

Reaction score
If you are trying to fix it to cross the country or be mobile then you and I both know that your probably looking at one hell of a investment however once again without being there and seeing the shape of the engine and other issues that's hard to determine.

If it is going to be stationary and used to live it is something that is very do-able and just like any home or living quarter, it will take time, either way it is going to take money and effort.

Reactions: Colton

Object

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Nice bus, I have 6k+ in mine. Just know that tires are expensive so is roadside service. A breakdown might sink you.. A lot can happen with a bus, accidents like hitting something when turning or backing, low clearance overpasses, getting stuck in mud, etc.. All diesels leak! Lol just make sure to keep an eye on oil level.. A newer bus could be had for 1-4K... It's up to you if it's worth it. Personally, I wish mine wasn't so damn big but it is what it is... Lots of good info on Skoolie.net and Facebook... Safe travels!

Reaction score
Ohh man, bus conversations are a special interest of mine. Best way to tell if it's got rust is to open her up and see. I've seen people solve some real bad rust problems, and it can be done quite cheap if you're willing to put lots of physical labor and hours of scavenging for the right materials. Or you can start with a blank slate for $1-5k(that under storage and unique body look is worth somebody saving this bus, if not you).

You'd go about fixing that rust by grinding or sanding the rust away, then painting over with rust treatment. But to see how much work that'll be you need to rip off those walls & floor. Possibly the ceiling too. Even just taking a few random holes out in the worst areas to peak around will get you a better idea if it's worth it. Don't worry about saving that metal(the internal layer), it's almost impossible to remove in a way that renders it reusable for that purpose without excessive cost in time & money.

Either way, if you're converting a bus it's very wise to do as someone suggested above and join skoolie specific communities. There's a crazy amount of very helpful information that you're not going to get anywhere else and is invaluable.

Personally, if you're willing to put in the work she's worth it. That's a gorgeous bus and an oil leak is generally easily fixable depending on the exact engine. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: Object

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score
First of all that is very nice looking bus and I understand why you want to keep it. If I was you I would call some area diesel and big trucks repair shops and get it checked over. It'll cost 50 to 100 bucks if you shop around. They can give you an estimate for repairs costs. Also check what you can get for it at scrap or online. And lastly see what else you could get for that money on Craigslist. Weigh you options and make a decision from there. There are a ton of cheap busses out there but they aren't that cool looking. Maybe keep that one as a stationary home and get something else to travel in.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads