2018 Jamboree - Natural string, rope, and cordage making workshop | Squat the Planet

2018 Jamboree Natural string, rope, and cordage making workshop

Threads with this prefix are related to the 2018 Jamboree.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hiker

Reaction score
This will be my 1st time at the jambo but I would love to teach people about making cordage from nature. Once you learn the method, you can harvest different plants from anywhere on Earth to create rope of any length and thickness, for free! This is a super useful skill, as well as very relaxing and meditative to do, what do you all think, should I do a workshop for this or does it sound boring?

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome idea, especially if you can harvest rope material in the area?

Shaka

That One Guy
Reaction score
I think it would be useful, specially for people who are trying get community started in tge woods

The Hiker

Reaction score
I think it would be useful, specially for people who are trying get community started in tge woods
Absolutely it is, once you start learning the faster methods of cording that's when it becomes really useful. Also it's way cooler than paracord or baling twine

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
I will probably bring materials from pullman so I make the jambo simpler for myself, but I want to teach people this if they're willing to learn

Okay, I'll put your workshop into the official schedule and let you know when it's released so you can let me know if there needs to be any adjustments to the timing.

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

TheDesertMouse

Reaction score
I was very impressed by inner mesquite bark. Last year I was stripping it from trees that got killed in camp burn outs over the summer.

A note on agaves and yuccas:
They dont occur naturally on the floor of the valley anymore, but there are some big blue agaves in brawley you can go grab.

Its easier to remove the fibers from the leaves if you cook it first.
I Boil the shit out of them for 5-6 hours, But I’ve read the native peoples would make a large fire then bake them overnight on the coals, probably more efficient this way.

Anyway then pounded the leaves with a rock to soften the flesh. Go to a stream with some good flow(the lower canal) pull off an inch thick chunk of fiber and flesh , pinch and run your fingers down the length a few times, like your stripping a rosemary sprig. The blue agave juice makes your skin itch, so rubber gloves are reccomended.

Helps to have a rack near by to hang the clean fibers on so they dont get all tangled while they dry

Also waxing the fibers with pure bees wax makes the twisting easier.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads