Natural string, rope, and cordage making workshop (1 Viewer)

feral wanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Pullman,WA
This will be my 1st time at the jambo but I would love to teach people about making cordage from nature. Once you learn the method, you can harvest different plants from anywhere on Earth to create rope of any length and thickness, for free! This is a super useful skill, as well as very relaxing and meditative to do, what do you all think, should I do a workshop for this or does it sound boring?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Shaka

That One Guy
Hometown
I think it would be useful, specially for people who are trying get community started in tge woods

OP
feral wanderer

feral wanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Pullman,WA
I think it's an awesome idea, especially if you can harvest rope material in the area?
I've never been to the area so I don't know right now, but there are plants in every environment that work, so maybe that would be part of the workshop, IDing and gathering materials!

OP
feral wanderer

feral wanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Pullman,WA
I think it would be useful, specially for people who are trying get community started in tge woods
Absolutely it is, once you start learning the faster methods of cording that's when it becomes really useful. Also it's way cooler than paracord or baling twine

Desperado Deluxe

Wanderer
Hometown
I've never been to the area so I don't know right now, but there are plants in every environment that work, so maybe that would be part of the workshop, IDing and gathering materials!
you can use yucca leaves. which I'm pretty sure is fairly common in the region.

OP
feral wanderer

feral wanderer

Pilgrim
Hometown
Pullman,WA
I will probably bring materials from pullman so I make the jambo simpler for myself, but I want to teach people this if they're willing to learn

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Hometown
Slab City, Ca
I will probably bring materials from pullman so I make the jambo simpler for myself, but I want to teach people this if they're willing to learn
Okay, I'll put your workshop into the official schedule and let you know when it's released so you can let me know if there needs to be any adjustments to the timing.

Hometown
Centro America
I was very impressed by inner mesquite bark. Last year I was stripping it from trees that got killed in camp burn outs over the summer.

A note on agaves and yuccas:
They dont occur naturally on the floor of the valley anymore, but there are some big blue agaves in brawley you can go grab.

Its easier to remove the fibers from the leaves if you cook it first.
I Boil the shit out of them for 5-6 hours, But I’ve read the native peoples would make a large fire then bake them overnight on the coals, probably more efficient this way.

Anyway then pounded the leaves with a rock to soften the flesh. Go to a stream with some good flow(the lower canal) pull off an inch thick chunk of fiber and flesh , pinch and run your fingers down the length a few times, like your stripping a rosemary sprig. The blue agave juice makes your skin itch, so rubber gloves are reccomended.

Helps to have a rack near by to hang the clean fibers on so they dont get all tangled while they dry

Also waxing the fibers with pure bees wax makes the twisting easier.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$150.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $150.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Heading Southwest tomorrow. Hoping to make the Sam Houston National Forest by nightfall. Gonna be a long day of riding...
tucson to phoenix? trying to pick kids up. i wanna see how many hippies fit in a dodge caravan
SteveO85 wrote on Ponyriderijk's profile.
What up dude?Just trying to find similar people with similar views in the area...
cold wet and managed to dodge NINE count em NINE kangaroos in twelve k ! listening to rodriguez "sugarman" thinking about aqualung
When all else fails, go ahead and rely on instinct
- animalistic is our most natural mode
Going nuts! Ehrenberg Arizona....😬
Hi everybody my name is Steve aka Miami Mike from the central coast of California ,more precisely Paso Robles/lake nacimento
Squat in Austin’s north loop! Seeking advice and squat mates as well as offering a place to crash and some company. We got booze and electric?
croc wrote on quad8's profile.
Yo, last night I rode my first autorack! Colton to Yermo in an automax n it was articulated, door open. Love those curved floors so u got a lil hidey wall to chill behind.
Thought of u as soon as we got on lol

Members online