My packing list. What are your thoughts? | Squat the Planet

My packing list. What are your thoughts?

Batsy

Reaction score
Hey, y'all! It's Bats, again.

I'm hoping to hit the road for the first time soon. I hope to hitchhike and maybe freight hop, but not necessarily freight hop. I'm still trying to find a good backpack that isn't too huge, and to figure out what to bring/leave behind.

Below is the packing list I've come up with. For those of you who are more experienced, is there anything you think I should add? Anything you recommend leaving behind?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!

Packing List​
Clothing:
  • 3 Shirts (1 normal-looking)
  • 1 Pair long pants
  • 1 Pair shorts
  • 2 pairs of Socks
  • 4 pairs of Underwear
  • Hat
  • Hoodie
  • Thin Sweater (can be worn underneath hoodie for extra warmth)
  • Warm Gloves
  • Rain Jacket

Camping:
  • Backpack
  • Trash bag (for keeping the pack dry)
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Sleeping pad
  • Camping Pillow
  • Small Tarp
  • Tent(?)
  • 1 Liter Water Bottles (x4)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Spray
  • Stick

Tools:
  • Camping utensils
  • Camping bowl
  • Lighter
  • Head Lamp
  • Extra Batteries
  • Large Marker
  • Solid Paint Stick
  • Pepper Spray

Technology:

• iPhone
  • iPhone Charger
  • iPhone External Battery-Charger
  • Earphones

Entertainment:
  • Small Notebook
  • Pens/pencils
  • The Anarchist Guide to Travel (Book)
  • Art Supplies:
    • Blank Stickers
    • Fabric
    • Paint Markers
    • Small Sketchbook
    • Dental Floss
    • Sewing Needles

Music:
  • Baritone Ukulele
  • Case
  • Extra Guitar Picks
  • Song Book/Chord Sheet
  • Extra Pencils

Stick and Poke supplies:
  • Sterilized Tattoo Needles
  • Tattoo Ink
  • Ink Caps
  • Latex Gloves
  • Green soap
  • Squirt bottle
  • A&D Ointment (for aftercare)
  • Dr. Bronner Soap (for aftercare)

Toiletries:
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Wet Wipes
  • Deodorant spray
  • Dreadlock Spray
  • Essential Oils for making more when it runs out
  • Hair Brush (For Beard)
  • Hand towel
  • Bandana
  • Meds
  • Pill containers

Misc.:
  • Wallet
  • Cash
  • ID
  • Debit Card
  • Kaiser Card/Number
  • Earplugs
  • Condoms/Sex Lube (just in case ;))

Dameon

Reaction score
We're well on our way toward summer. You're not going to need longjohns, or a sweater + hoodie, or a rain jacket. Skip the camping pillow, use spare clothes for a pillow. Skip the tent, too; you'll spend a lot more time carrying it than you will using it; bring some line for your tarp and look up some ways to use a tarp as shelter (just my opinion, some people swear by hauling a tent everywhere). Drop the song book/chord sheet, you can look at all that on your iPhone. Mail the wallet and cash to me, I'll keep an eye on them for you.

Batsy

Reaction score
We're well on our way toward summer. You're not going to need longjohns, or a sweater + hoodie, or a rain jacket. Skip the camping pillow, use spare clothes for a pillow. Skip the tent, too; you'll spend a lot more time carrying it than you will using it; bring some line for your tarp and look up some ways to use a tarp as shelter (just my opinion, some people swear by hauling a tent everywhere). Drop the song book/chord sheet, you can look at all that on your iPhone. Mail the wallet and cash to me, I'll keep an eye on them for you.

Thanks for the insight. The jacket and sweatshirts were for once winter comes back around. Also the “songbook” is actually a notebook that I write down my original songs in when I write them. It’s pretty light. Thanks again. Much appreciated

Dameon

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. The jacket and sweatshirts were for once winter comes back around. Also the “songbook” is actually a notebook that I write down my original songs in when I write them. It’s pretty light. Thanks again. Much appreciated
When winter comes back around, you can get more clothes no problem.

If your songbook is just a notebook, then you already have a notebook listed. Personally, though, I'd do away with any notebooks and just do it all on your iPhone, even though it'll be a little more of a pain in the ass and not as convenient. That way, down the road you won't freak out when you lose your notebook with all your originals and whatever personal notes you've written (believe me, it will absolutely happen). You're going to have to question what you really need and what's going to weigh you down sooner or later; sooner is better, before you're just discarding things along the way. Even if something weighs just an ounce, that's an ounce you're going to carry every step you walk all day every day. The weight and the bulk add up quickly.

Crazy Hobo Johnny

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
iPhone portable solar charger available at Amazon (I carry two)

I agree with the rest; socks socks socks socks!

I take a pillow case and put my clothes inside it and there's my pillow!

Backpacks: I like military surplus genuine backpacks such as the A.L.I.C.E.-All Light Carrying Equipment backpack.

Check out your local military surplus store or check out Military clothing, footwear, BDU pants, BDU coats, camouflage, hats, hunting gear, firearm accessories, knives, law enforcement gear, paintball equipment and more. - Maine Military Supply - https://www.mainemilitary.com or Amazon.

I didn't see toilet paper on your list! Don't forget that! (I take three rolls)

If you're a coffee drinker like me, I purchase those instant freeze dried coffees in a box like 7 to a box, there's Folgers and Nescafe Taster's Choice they cost anywhere from .99 cents to $1.50. I'll buy a few boxes, throw the boxes away and put the freeze dried coffee packets in a zip-lock baggy. Packets of sugar you can rip off from restaurants or coffee shops like Starbucks and coffee cream at the local stop & rob food pantry store.

I carry extra- here's the rule: 3 is 2, 2 is 1 and 1 is none!

• Useful
Reactions: Batsy and Short
D

Deleted member 24782

OH I JUST REREAD YOUR POST, if your on foot, then this is difinitely WAYY to much stuff. Trust me. I took the liberty of modifying your list, just food for thought, but you do what you want my friend. If you going to bum around places for long periods of time, then maybe you do want more stuff, were all different. I'm not a musician or tattoo artist (though I've done my fair share of stick and pokes) never found that stuff very ideal to travel with.

Clothing:
  • 3 2 Shirts (1 normal-looking)
  • 1 Pair long pants
  • 1 Pair shorts
  • 2 4 pairs of Socks
  • 3 pairs of Underwear
  • Hat
  • Hoodie & JACKET
  • Warm Gloves
  • Rain Jacket
Camping:
  • Backpack
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Sleeping pad Cardboard
  • Camping Pillow
  • Small Tarp
  • Tent(?)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Spray
  • Stick
Tools:
  • Camping utensils Knife, plastic spoon or fork, free everywhere
  • Camping bowl Improvise, you can use old cups or cans.
  • Lighter
  • Head Lamp
  • Extra Batteries
  • Large Marker
  • Solid Paint Stick
  • Pepper Spray
Technology:
  • iPhone
  • iPhone Charger
  • Earphones
Entertainment:
  • Small Notebook
  • Pens/pencils
  • The Anarchist Guide to Travel (Book) Read it but why would you bring it?
  • Art Supplies:
    • Blank Stickers
    • Fabric
    • Paint Markers
    • Small Sketchbook
    • Dental Floss
    • Sewing Needles
Music:
  • Baritone Ukulele
  • Case
  • Extra Guitar Picks
  • Song Book/Chord Sheet
  • Extra Pencils
Stick and Poke supplies:
  • Tattoo Ink
  • Ink Caps
  • Latex Gloves
  • Green soap
  • Squirt bottle
Toiletries:
  • Toilet Paper
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Wet Wipes
  • Deodorant spray
  • Dreadlock Spray
  • Hair Brush (For Beard)
  • Hand towel
  • Bandana
  • Meds
  • Pill containers
Misc.:
  • Wallet
  • Cash
  • ID
  • Debit Card
  • Kaiser Card/Number
  • Earplugs

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Yeah, I would second many aspects @Brodiesel710 @Dameon and @Maki40 already mentioned. Lightweight is better.

From my experiences traveling in a quite densily populated area by taking passenger trains, coaches and hitchhiking and sleeping rough or in squats or alike:

I started traveling with way too much stuff, including a tarp, rain poncho, sleeping pad, lots of spare clothes and whatnot. Found out most of the stuff I never needed.

Last trips it was not much more then two sleeping bags in a Karrimor backpack. One was a very light, summer type one I used as insulation layer so I did not have to look for cardboard every evening. Sometimes I had a few (!) items of spare clothing, sometimes not. Otherwise it was just a few small things like spare glasses (I need glasses badly), a small led torch, phone charger, wet wipes, dental floss and one robust sewing needle I kept in the case of my spare glasses together with some safety pins, one sharpie, a few plasters. That basically was it.

Did not need to carry lots of socks or underwear for example. Where I was so often people looking after the homeless went to me or us at night with hot soup or some sandwiches and also offered socks and underwear - especially during the winter months. And if I felt the need to change and no one of those kind people showed up before I would just go to poundland and get something for ... well, £1.

So I would always opt for lightweight traveling and downsizing.

But it all depends, please don't try top hop freight in t-shirt, shorts and flip-flops and with just a thin sleeping bag and no food or water supllies only to find yourself stuck in the desert after a day or two, 100 miles from the next road. ;)

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Addendum: what I listed above was what I carried in my bag.

All the really important things (except my sleeping bags of course) I always had on my body: my phone, a small Moleskine paper notebook and a ballpoint pen in a zipped inner pocket of my vest, tobacco and rolling papers in the other zipped inner pocket (yeah, tobacco is expensive, especially in UK), some money (if I had any) in a canvas wallet in another vest's pocket and my national ID (passport like) in a wallet in the back pocket of my jeans, secured by a metal chain.

And I always kept those things in exactly those places. Made it easy to check if everything is still there when you pack up. I mean, you don't have to wonder if your ID or passport is in that pocket or that pocket or perhaps in your backpack or perhaps you might have lost it ...

And yeah, if you use your phone regularely for taking photos for example, an external power bank may be useful. Plus back up your data in the cloud always when you have the opportunity. Not much worse then a phone full of valueable photos getting lost or stolen without backup.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Foot powder/body powder. Must have for saving feet, ass chaps, thighs and for when your pack gets to rubbing on your sweaty shoulders. Spread that shit everywhere. No talc powder!! Corn starch only, non scented. Will save your ass! Literally.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16701

You only really need 2 shirts or maybe even just one. If it gets dirty just ring it out in a sink or silcock valve if you have a water key. (Laundromats are pretty cheap too). Socks and talc powder are def important like other people said.

Tents are a pain in the dick in my experience, even if its lightweight. Your mindset is probably gonna shift to urban/stealth camping, cuz its easy to find a good spot and youre gonna get tired as fuck by the end of the day. Maybe it'll be different for you, but you'll find your own way.
If you get a new pack try to get one with a rain cover that comes out of the bottom. (That trash bag is gonna rip after not too long)
You definitely have too much shit though. Think about how youre gonna wanna load up on food for a freight ride or hike and all that added food weight is gonna suck. (Even if you carry it in a bag, cuz that gets old fast)
Which reminds me: P51 or P38 can opener!!! You can keep it in your wallet and theyre like 50cents. Well worth it.
Happy travels!

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
@ToadStuff said "Which reminds me: P51 or P38 can opener!!! You can keep it in your wallet and theyre like 50cents. Well worth it."
Definitely a must have. I mean you can do without. but Seriously, why would you?

Reactions: Batsy

Icecoffee2

Reaction score
Hey, y'all! It's Bats, again.

I'm hoping to hit the road for the first time soon. I hope to hitchhike and maybe freight hop, but not necessarily freight hop. I'm still trying to find a good backpack that isn't too huge, and to figure out what to bring/leave behind.

Below is the packing list I've come up with. For those of you who are more experienced, is there anything you think I should add? Anything you recommend leaving behind?

Any help is greatly appreciated! :) Thanks!

Packing List​
Clothing:
  • 3 Shirts (1 normal-looking)
  • 1 Pair long pants
  • 1 Pair shorts
  • 2 pairs of Socks
  • 4 pairs of Underwear
  • Hat
  • Hoodie
  • Warm Gloves
  • Rain Jacket

Camping:
  • Backpack
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Sleeping pad
  • Camping Pillow
  • Small Tarp
  • Tent(?)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Bug Spray
  • Sunscreen
  • Spray
  • Stick

Tools:
  • Camping utensils
  • Camping bowl
  • Lighter
  • Head Lamp
  • Extra Batteries
  • Large Marker
  • Solid Paint Stick
  • Pepper Spray

Technology:

• iPhone
  • iPhone Charger
  • Earphones

Entertainment:
  • Small Notebook
  • Pens/pencils
  • The Anarchist Guide to Travel (Book)
  • Art Supplies:
    • Blank Stickers
    • Fabric
    • Paint Markers
    • Small Sketchbook
    • Dental Floss
    • Sewing Needles

Music:
  • Baritone Ukulele
  • Case
  • Extra Guitar Picks
  • Song Book/Chord Sheet
  • Extra Pencils

Stick and Poke supplies:
  • Tattoo Ink
  • Ink Caps
  • Latex Gloves
  • Green soap
  • Squirt bottle

Toiletries:
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Wet Wipes
  • Deodorant spray
  • Dreadlock Spray
  • Hair Brush (For Beard)
  • Hand towel
  • Bandana
  • Meds
  • Pill containers

Misc.:
  • Wallet
  • Cash
  • ID
  • Debit Card
  • Kaiser Card/Number
  • Earplugs
TP and small shovel

D

Deleted member 24782

@ToadStuff said "Which reminds me: P51 or P38 can opener!!! You can keep it in your wallet and theyre like 50cents. Well worth it."
Definitely a must have. I mean you can do without. but Seriously, why would you?

I used to have a P38, then I just stated exclusively buying pop top cans!!! For what it's worth, one time I won a contest using a P38, it was a race, called the "bean can open off". !!!

Reactions: RoadFlower33

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I used to have a P38, then I just stated exclusively buying pop top cans!!!
Those pop tops are pretty handy indeed. Tho i have noticed alot of places dont have the kind of soup or whatever I want in a pop top can... I actually havent had to use my p38 in a long time tho.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads