My (and doobie d's) first train ride.......

Doobie_D

The Slack Action Hero
Reaction score
Cuesta grade. 09? Must've been one of those reroutes; we might have been on the same train.
yup cuesta grade. Definately was a re route. Strange thing about it tho was that i didnt know at the time that they werent running the coast line regularly and was waiting in Van Nuys all of a couple hours when i saw my train blow by me. Figured "fuck it i'll just catch Amtrak up to SLO and catch it the next day" When i got up to the Amtrak station that train was sided out with their head end right at the platform. I casually slipped down the trax aways and found a nice open box and took off after amtrak came thru. Lucky shit.

Reactions: bryanpaul

ChrisKCMD

Reaction score
Do u also recall that we loaded up homebum Danny and his bike(maybe, I dont remember) in a boxcar and dragged him outta santy booboo? But it was futile, he just got strung out in Ventura. To each his own tho right. Anyways, this line is shut down now? And if so, from where to where

bryanpaul

Reaction score
yeah most of the traffic that used to run that route takes the central valley/bakersfeild route now.....although there is still a daily train from van nuys(LA) up to just south of SLO... was prolly the last train i rode on the west coast besides leaving colton....but yeah that shit was great

anost

Reaction score
What bumfuck part of MD are you from? Frederick Co. native.

anost

Reaction score
I can totally understand your wanting to get out of there. Eastern shore is kind of terrible.

bryanpaul

Reaction score
I can totally understand your wanting to get out of there. Eastern shore is kind of terrible.

boy you best watch yer chickennecker-ass mouth.... EEEAASTERN SHOOORE!!!

but nah......yeah it sux kinda..... frederic area is purty though....right at the start of the mountains....

anost

Reaction score
boy you best watch yer chickennecker-ass mouth.... EEEAASTERN SHOOORE!!!

but nah......yeah it sux kinda..... frederic area is purty though....right at the start of the mountains....

WESTERN MERRLIND!

Frederick's alright. It's a shame it turned into Montgomery County lite in that last few years though, but Harpers Ferry (one of my favorite all time B&O ridin' moments) is right there across the Potomac and the mountains sho is purty as pie.

crow jane

Reaction score
so yeah...... derek and a few other freinds from MD dippin out on court cases had somehow made it out of our bumfuck county to the west coast where they were introduced to a subculture known as "travelin kids"...whaaat? you mean theres all these punks and drunks and hippies and etc just roamin around livin it up??....so yeah after about a year of him and a couple other Maryland kids bein out there...i finally split(at some point or another it ended up that 11 or 12 of our freind group from MD hit the road at some point) so yeah... "flying a sign?" "rage a hotey?!" WTF these grimy ass hippies talkin about....luckily after i left MD it was straight across the country to bum training ground ..california.... "oi, you got a rollie?"... WTF izza rollie?...why are all these kids "OI'ing at me all the time?.. so yeah spent about a year or so going up and down and around the west coast livin it up .... so we'd run into these "crusties"?//// and shit ..all carharted out with bandannas round they necks talkin about riding trains...like oh shit...that sounds like the way to go...fast forward...plot:..... so we'r in santa barbara CA, we had befreinded probably one of the awesomest humans i've yet to meet "crazy ray"... rico suave ass short ass old ass puerto rican semi-homebum... claimed he used to be FTRA...tellin us about the rails and shit...so we'r all layed out on the beach in santa barbara one night and it's bout that time to go to the beer store for the last time ...so we leave dereks girlfreind kayla with all our gear and head to the 7/11 to grab our nite-nites ....so we go into the store getta big ol sack of steel reserve tall cans and walk out ...lookin down the street like half a block here's this freight train creeepin across the overcrossing....it stops....hmm neat... so here comes this guy walkin down the little path from the tracks...crazy ray goes up to him and says(in raspy homebum voice) "hey....... your the conductor arentcha?"...so the guys is lookin at us fer a second and says "yeah"...crazy ray busts out "WE WANNA RIDE BROTHER"....so the conductor just kinda looks at us for a few moments and says " aaaalll right hop in the second unit and dont touch nuthin" WTF!!! so yeah highballin down the coast line with a bag fulla beeers....good times....theres more stuff to this but yeah.............oh, and poor ol kayla on the beach? :(...oops...we got back a day and a half later.....needless to say she was PISSED!! had left our gear on the beach..but she rigged it up so our sleepin bags looked like there was people in em........... good times(sorry kayla)......... i feel lucky to have ridden that coast line several more times since then ...one of the best ..theres times where the tracks are basically right on the beach with pacific waves breakin and shit....almost no traffic on it these days(besides van nuys to guadalupe;))...but yeah....thats all.........notta good story teller but yeah.................

quoted for truth

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads