Motorized Biking: Heading to Mexico? South America? | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Motorized Biking: Heading to Mexico? South America?

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I guess I don't know what you mean. I have a hard plastic ring that clips into all my spokes, that is toothed, so that the belt drives it straight off the engine. Can these be set up another way? I guess, what would indirect drive be?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Friction drive is what I meant. The PTO (power take off) comes directly from the driveshaft to the tire, albeit there is a clutch cylinder..

I picked up some spare masterlinks for Cornelius's chain.. I have 5 of them, & if they are the right size (hopefully) I'll with hand off a couple, or well find an ATV / bike shop with the right ones..

There's a few fires in the irons, here..
Not all the flames are different, though..

I have to be in the Bay on the 19th, & after that, I'm heading to I-10, to Florida, to see my mom for Christmas.
If that doesn't happen, or if other possibilities arise, I may either be staying at the slabs for a bit, or not coming in, at sll..

Kinda the usual..

Hoping I get shit squared away, because as typical, I never seem to grasp how short time actually fucking is..

Reactions: TheWindAndRain

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
Good shit man. One more week in LA... luckily I scored a $40/day job, so I'll walk off the scene with a decent chunk of cash. And have all day everyday to tweak my bike and get it going real nice. Just got a nice beach cruiser for $30.. a real steal. Lot of work to do on it.

I've seen some setups before with the motorcycle-style chain drive... I actually prefer my setup because if trouble comes (trouble with a badge and a gun) I can hit the kill switch and pedal the sucker through town.

Might even put up an American flag as I pass through small towns in the US... yup officer just a long bike ride today, haw haw... with the direct drive setups you're in it to win it and you can't go stealth.

PLUS with the back-rack mounted engine, I can unbolt the engine, stick it in my bag, and ditch the bike if need be. That's why I got a cheapie. If you got room for me but not a bike going to FL (and man it'd be pretty cool to head out that way perhaps) then I gift the bike to a Slabber and away we go...

but I feel you on all the possibilities. a friend texted me "portugal" today... uhhh.... "yes" was my response. I guess ya shoot buckshot and eat whatever comes squawkin down the trees!!!

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
apparently it's only 65L.....

Attachments

• IMG_20161214_220435.jpg
    IMG_20161214_220435.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Yep : )

But what makes me wonder, & maybe because I just don't have experience with them, is that you say you just 'unbolt the engine & throw it in your pack'...
Is that the whole drive assembly???

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Sweet rig!!
Def a good ride..

I've heard various opinions on the tire & rain issue.. I've never seen undue wear, but that may have to do with the knurling on the drive roller.. Dunno..
The main thing that appeals to me with the friction drive is the compactness & relative simplicity.
Chain & belt drives def have more direct torque, & maybe if you go up above 50 cc you'd see a definite increase in tire wear.

Hillbilly's post is the first I've read that indicates any portability..
My ignorance on the matter, fer sure, & if tires are truly a problem, not worth it.

I don't recall the west coast statutes, & I don't know what MX is like, but if you can get away with an 80 cc motor, the power is def worth it.

Friction drive, in general, is best used for power assist..

They do, generally, have a centrifugal clutch, which although simple, is an additional system.

If I were riding with just myself & no more than about 30 pounds or gear, & satisfied with 25 or 30 mph, I think I'd go friction, especially if the bike is a hard tail.

Anything more, or for higher speeds, chain drive..
One thing I would note on your bike, Hillbilly, is that since it's a hard tail, off roading might be a bit rough, on rocky terrain..

The bike looks like a tank, though, & I suspect there's no structural issues you'll ever have to worry about..

Looks like you have a good spring mounted seat, too..

Longest ride I ever did was 4 days through the mountains of Tennessee, years ago..
when i was dumb & in love..
If I knew then, I'd have just dumped the love & concentrated on learning how to travel on s bike ; )

Hopefully I'll see you down there.. We can make a run for parts or whatnot : )

Last edited:

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
Ive been reading the laws and basically you have to register it as moped in many states. In which case the engine size becomes moot....I THINK

creature

Banned
Reaction score
Also.. Def get fenders.. Cobble them from plastic or old cookie sheets or however, but if yer riding in the rain, you'll need to stop the upward thrown stream of water..

TheWindAndRain

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Belt drive (or chain drive) is the way to go. I had a friction drive and it sucked in the rain and wore out tires fairly quickly.
Friction drive is lower maintenance and easier to detach and install but it is only good for the southwest. You need belt or chain diver for anywhere else. I have had success with a friction drive over a number of mountain passes. You can easily detach the friction drives to use the bike as a normal bicycle with no resistance from the drive system which I like.

D

Deleted member 2626

Hell yeah. looks good man. just bought a 50 dollar mountain huffy hard tail with enough frame room need be a motor and a 100 dollar wike trailer for the pooch and some gear. training/test running now and getting stuff set up. what fun. my pooch is curled up in the trailer outside the library while i type this hehe. got a foam piece and my thermorest nipple pad under him for over the axle. not a thread jack either just sayin

D

Deleted member 2626

@ped and @Hillbilly Castro I am told a decent 5Occ 4 stroke engine would better for hauling larger loads than a 2 stroke, my 7O pound dog, in trailer, maybe 4O in gear, water or extra fuel would add up at times, and me. Wondering if this would be too much? Not jacking your thread man, but ya did kind of turn me onto a new hobby / idea myself. any reply is appreciated.

ped

Glorified monkey
Banned
Reaction score
2 strokes are lighter and more powerful. but 4 stroke is what you really want for long distances. just way less hassle and more reliable. plus exhaust noise and fumes with dog behind you.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads