MEXICO: Another Thread | Squat the Planet

MEXICO: Another Thread

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
Now I know there's a lot of threads about the technicalities of traveling in Mexico, but does anyone know of any particular things to go looking for once you're down there?

After spending a solid 10 minutes looking at a map, it turns out it's a pretty good sized place. Does anyone know which states are supposed to be the coolest, or even basic information like what different regions there are within the country?

Damn, I've been trying to go for 3 years in a row and I'm gonna fucking do it this time.

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Wait, you've been waiting three years to go there and you haven't searched out information about it till now?

Raging Bird

Reaction score
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
i'm hitch hiking and I'll probably test the waters with the trains when I get down there. Someone made a post about it being easier and less sketchy than in America, legally speaking.

Finn, I only know one person that's ever been there and all they told me was that oaxaca was tight. I'm asking about subjective good experiences people have had while traveling cheaply / hitch hiking, and it's sort of hard to find that on the internet...

Viera

Reaction score
Hi thirtydollarbillyall

I've hitchhiked down the west coast of Mexico. It was a great experience! Easy rides, even when there was three of us. There are speed bumps all over the place which make excellent hitchhiking spots as people are going slow. Hitching is a bit more difficult in tourist towns though (e.g. Acapulco), where locals are a bit weary of tourists from over-exposure to them. Also, the rides are often on open pick up trucks speeding down the highway, so if you're concerned for safety it might not be the best. Be sure to get an FMT at the border, it's only $20, but you can get deported if you don't have it! Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions!

Viera :)

-

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads