Mexican Border | Squat the Planet

Mexican Border

LazyMofo

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place, please let me know if there is a better place to ask this.

Anyway, how strict is it crossing the Mexican border? Do they check people walking over for warrants and stuff like that? I've always been curious how people facing murder charges and shit like that get over the border so easy.

Also, if I wanted to travel through central and south America by land, would I need to get a visa for every country I move through? Or is there like a travel pass or something? I've searched high and low and cannot find clear answers even on fed sites.

wokofshame

Reaction score
Website
www.weather.gov
To cross into Mexico you usually just walk thru a turnstile, they don't even check your ID. To go more than 20 miles in (except for Baja) you want a tourist visa which you can get at the border for 20 or 30$.

For Central American countries, most of them charge you when you leave the country and you have to pay 10 or 20 bucks to exit. None of them really check you for warrants as I remember, they just want your money.
Hence why fugitives from here so often end up in Mexico.

LazyMofo

Reaction score
To cross into Mexico you usually just walk thru a turnstile, they don't even check your ID. To go more than 20 miles in (except for Baja) you want a tourist visa which you can get at the border for 20 or 30$.

For Central American countries, most of them charge you when you leave the country and you have to pay 10 or 20 bucks to exit. None of them really check you for warrants as I remember, they just want your money.
Hence why fugitives from here so often end up in Mexico.

Interesting, very interesting. thanks. that's about what I was looking for. If anyone else has anymore insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras all required visas/passport when I went through last. I wouldn't risk crossing the border down there illegally because I don't really care to spend time in jails down there....but that is just me. not worth it...visas are cheap. and yeah, i don't really remember them checking for warrants or anything like that. why? who have you murdered recently? lol

Reactions: peacefulmonokai

LazyMofo

Reaction score
Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Honduras all required visas/passport when I went through last. I wouldn't risk crossing the border down there illegally because I don't really care to spend time in jails down there....but that is just me. not worth it...visas are cheap. and yeah, i don't really remember them checking for warrants or anything like that. why? who have you murdered recently? lol

Hahaha! If told you that much then you would have to be my next victim! lmao j/k. I haven't murdered anyone or anything, it's just something I've been curious about and google failed me finding answers.

But nah, I wouldn't risk doing anything illegally out of the US. I like our due process and stuff like that. I have my passport and whatnot.

Also, I've been thinking about traveling through central and south America by land and I wanted to know how feasible it was. I just rolled all my questions into one post since they are kind of related.

Reactions: iamwhatiam

LazyMofo

Reaction score
You can walk out without a passport, but you can't walk back into the US without a passport. So get that squared away before making the leap. :)

Yes, I have my passport already :) Just got it like two months ago, so I am good for at least 10 years on that front! It's sounding like it won't be too complicated for me to make this move. I'll spend some more time in the states before I make my final move

Reactions: mouse
D

Deleted member 11392

The visas you get for all the central American countries are fast, cheap, and easy to get. Mexico you just walk across the border. You get some kind of receipt to pay at a bank. It was about $28USD when I was there last. For Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua it's the same thing, only cheaper: about $15USD and is for ALL those countries. Then one for Costa Rica and Panama.

To get to Colombia and South America, you need to fly or take a boat. You CAN technically cross by land, if you have a death wish or a lot of money. Google "Darien Gap".

LazyMofo

Reaction score
The visas you get for all the central American countries are fast, cheap, and easy to get. Mexico you just walk across the border. You get some kind of receipt to pay at a bank. It was about $28USD when I was there last. For Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua it's the same thing, only cheaper: about $15USD and is for ALL those countries. Then one for Costa Rica and Panama.

To get to Colombia and South America, you need to fly or take a boat. You CAN technically cross by land, if you have a death wish or a lot of money. Google "Darien Gap".

Thank you for your reply! That's very interesting, I never knew about the Darien Gap. I'm definitely not trying to deal with that.

LazyMofo

Reaction score
UPDATE: So I went ahead tried Laredo, TX to Nuevo Laredo and it was a breeze! I literally just walked right on over. Paid $0.75 for the bridge toll and just rolled in with the rest of the Mexicans. They only did a quick "search" of my belongings. No passport check or anything. I actually stayed one night without my tourist visa because I couldn't read any Spanish to find the damn migration office lol.

I did that this morning and that process was just as easy. I paid 500 pesos (about $26-$27) and I'm good for 180 days. I'm heading to Monterrey right now. If anybody is in Mexico, hit me up. I would love to meet a fellow wanderlust.

But yeah, judging from the long ass line going back into the US, I reckon that getting back won't be so easy. Also, I haven't felt in any kind of "danger" since I've been here.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to make copies of your ID & leave them somewhere safe, so the info can be retrieved, if you loose them.
Maybe write down your PP & DL #s & carry them separate.
Possibly email encryptrd jpgs to yourself, also.
Dunno how wise actual paper copies would be, even if B&W and voided.
Might turn into an excuse for a fabricated charge as a basis for a 'fine'..
Dunno.. Maybe a 75% laminated/taped covered wallet sized cards would do.
The point is that if you loose your ID, it's pretty serious. Assuming you get to a consulate before it becomes an issue, the data that you have copies of will be a great help in them assisting you.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to make copies of your ID & leave them somewhere safe, so the info can be retrieved, if you loose them.
Maybe write down your PP & DL #s & carry them separate.

Yeah, whatever you do...don't be an idiot like I was and bury your passport in the sand when sleeping on the beach, because you were afraid of getting mugged at night, and then not be able to find it in the morning.

LazyMofo

Reaction score
Yeah, whatever you do...don't be an idiot like I was and bury your passport in the sand when sleeping on the beach, because you were afraid of getting mugged at night, and then not be able to find it in the morning.

Ha! Nope. I definitely won't be doing that. I'm pretty good about keeping up with my important docs these days. I have back-up ways of proving I'm American if I have to. I'll recite the preamble and sing "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" lmao

LazyMofo

Reaction score
carry a second wallet with some bs inside, in case of a mugging toss it down and run. the robber will focus on the drop while you dip with your real wallet.

My wallet already has bs in it. I'm two steps ahead buddy, I've never really carried money in there. I keep cash dispersed among my body. I do keep my cards in there, but Paypal will send me a new anywhere in the world lol

fabio

Reaction score
Regarding visas, as I'm Brazillian I should point that U.S. citizens will need to pay $160 USD, Canadians $65 USD, and Australians $35 USD to go to Brazil.
All those taxes are due reciprocity measures since the Brazillian citizens have to pay to go to these countries.
But it worth by far! Brazil is beautiful and cheap.

LazyMofo

Reaction score
Regarding visas, as I'm Brazillian I should point that U.S. citizens will need to pay $160 USD, Canadians $65 USD, and Australians $35 USD to go to Brazil.
All those taxes are due reciprocity measures since the Brazillian citizens have to pay to go to these countries.
But it worth by far! Brazil is beautiful and cheap.

Thanks! that is good to know. I know most places don't have such cheap visas. I'm definitely making my way down there. slowly but surely lol

happythoughts123

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hahaha! If told you that much then you would have to be my next victim! lmao j/k. I haven't murdered anyone or anything, it's just something I've been curious about and google failed me finding answers.

But nah, I wouldn't risk doing anything illegally out of the US. I like our due process and stuff like that. I have my passport and whatnot.

Also, I've been thinking about traveling through central and south America by land and I wanted to know how feasible it was. I just rolled all my questions into one post since they are kind of related.
It's very feasible. Would be easy to just cross the border and take buses south. From city to city.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads