Maui, Hawaii

spoon

The coolest person you never met.
Reaction score
I don't know if you'll see this since you posted a month ago but...
I've never been on Maui but I lived on Oahu for almost 4 years. As far as Oahu goes, there is a huge crime/drug/homeless problem. I saw several stabbing out in plain site when I was there.
There are also places, cities, and entire islands in Hawaii that you can'/don't want to go if you even smell like a haole.

mandapocalypse

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Maui is amazing. Spent a month on the island.

Hitchhiking is simple. Most people who live there hitchhike to work/school.
I had a home base on a macadamia nut farm in the jungle in a tent. Mostly ate off the trees.... every kind of fruit imaginable.... giant AVOCADOS...
I went everywhere on the island. So many different climates. Camped out on random beaches hidden from humanity. Hung out with the native Hawaiians. The racism is pretty fucking bad there, and understandably so.. if your white get used to being called a "howley" from the Hawaiians. Show respect and sincerity and you will be alright. Politically there is some severely fucked up shit... do not get involved with cops by any means.
It's good to find locals to hang with that will keep you away from tourist bullshit.

The road to Hana is amazing. I met a ton of crazy people who live in the middle of nowhere in these epic tree house style homes.... the drugs are endless. Weed is everywhere.

Can't even put into words how amazing Maui is... so many different climates.
I sat on top of a 250 foot waterfall with a parrot on my shoulder drinking cider....

holy shit the mac nut coffee is amazing....

ahhhhhh, maui rules.

Prepare for your mind to be opened in ways you never even began to imagine.

Reactions: trickdaley

adanisback

Reaction score
Maui is amazing. Spent a month on the island.

Hitchhiking is simple. Most people who live there hitchhike to work/school.
I had a home base on a macadamia nut farm in the jungle in a tent. Mostly ate off the trees.... every kind of fruit imaginable.... giant AVOCADOS...
I went everywhere on the island. So many different climates. Camped out on random beaches hidden from humanity. Hung out with the native Hawaiians. The racism is pretty fucking bad there, and understandably so.. if your white get used to being called a "howley" from the Hawaiians. Show respect and sincerity and you will be alright. Politically there is some severely fucked up shit... do not get involved with cops by any means.
It's good to find locals to hang with that will keep you away from tourist bullshit.

The road to Hana is amazing. I met a ton of crazy people who live in the middle of nowhere in these epic tree house style homes.... the drugs are endless. Weed is everywhere.

Can't even put into words how amazing Maui is... so many different climates.
I sat on top of a 250 foot waterfall with a parrot on my shoulder drinking cider....

holy shit the mac nut coffee is amazing....

ahhhhhh, maui rules.

Prepare for your mind to be opened in ways you never even began to imagine.

god damn man you made that shit sound SO good

keg

Reaction score
yeah someone got tabbed(KILLED)2 days ago.but maui on halloween is the best party in the world.and lots of movie stars music stars if that thing floats your boat.bring oc's if you want to make money.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, what spoon said is accurate. can't speak for maui cause i've spent little time there. but oahu is overcrowded and full of tourists...and some parts are pretty bad like the leeward (west) side and even waikiki at night. 2 nights ago my boyfriend and I watched as some guy got stabbed in the back.
----------------
your best place for worktrade is big island, puna district. or maui. Go to Little Beach on Sundays ...it's a nude beach where they throw drum circles on maui.
-------------
and the best place in hawaii to get away from it all- by FAR - is the Kalalau Valley on Kauai...

Reaction score
Dear all I plan on going to maui and O'ahu in the near future either this fall or winter, for a wooffing trip. The I plan to make Honolulu home and live there for a few years. If living in Honolulu sounds appealling to you contact me because I would like to know a few people before I get there. I am interested in camping on the islands and on the beach before settling into a job in Honolulu, I want to know someone who would want to rent an apartment there with me. From there I will travel elsewhere internationally, I am interested in Europe mostly but also S. America, S.E. Asia, Austraila and New Zealand. But I wont be squatting I will be bumming at first and then working and living permanately in Honolulu to save money to travel elsewhere.

Reaction score
Im on Maui now. If anyone is here hit me up on this thing. I know the island pretty well and can show folks some sweet shit. Im currently sitting in a 1.25 million dollar house that my friend is caretaking for some rich hippies that up and moved to Ecuador in fear of Japanese nuclear fallout. Theres a 500k squat next door thats completely off the grid and run on solar. The guy there is a ninja like with swords and throwing stars and shit. Its pretty fucking nuts.

Anyone coming here be advised that its expensive as fuck and you need a real hustle to make money. The only job market is in the tourist industry. Spanging dont get ya shit and there aint many places to fly signs. Can get $350 a month food stamps pretty easy altough it takes about a month or two. If ya plan on settling for awhile not a bad idea to have some money or somewhat of a plan. Alot of people get stuck here and become full on beach bums. Once your stuck here is can be very difficult to escape as you have 3000 miles of water surrounding you. Get state health care and get a script of OC and your golden. Can sell them shits all day long here.

Its pretty fucking awesome place. Alot of people from all over the world. Lots of culture. Epic ass scenery. Beaches everywhere. Always new people to get fucked up with. Hitchin is easy as fuck. Bomb ass seafood. Eye candy galore. Tropical fruit growing all over the place. Everyone should stop in Hawaii atleast once in there life.

lalt

Reaction score
I lived on Oahu for a bit. Oahu is nice on the north side, I was in a van and felt safe the whole time unless I'd go near the cities. Always had late night trips to clean myself up in a park in Haleiwa and there would be locals that were there fishing or sleeping all the time. Never had any problems. As long as you are kind and respectful they are usually the same. I've heard a lot of bad things but only about the city.. just like I've read here. Good luck!

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
i think i know exactly where you are talkin about in haleiwa. i camped out for a bit in those woods across from the bathrooms....that is until coming back to our tent one afternoon to find a bum occupying it...he was nice about leaving, but our tent stunk like bum the whole night....plus he left his dirty uncapped needle in there AND emptied the bottle of lube i had in there......shwag bum

Reactions: Nemo

SpaceDirt

Reaction score
I have once again stumbled on standby tickets so Maui it is. I am heading out there tomorrow with my partner, I have some spots from two years ago but it is possible things have changed since then. Anyone been there recently? or live there with some tips on spots by chance? I'll be broke with a backpack for the most part ha.

Reactions: Kal

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
haven't been there recently. I'd probably camp out around Hana somewhere tho ..it's fucking amazing there, if you haven't been yet. I'm sure you've heard of Little Beach and the drum circles on the weekend. I believe there's bathrooms @ Big beach with faucet water altho I can't recall. There's a little shopping complex with ritzy stores and a grocery store several miles down the hill...probably good spanging if you're DL about it, altho I haven't tried. I'm sure you probably know all this if you've been before :) Take pictures! Big surf on the north shores now :)

SpaceDirt

Reaction score
haven't been there recently. I'd probably camp out around Hana somewhere tho ..it's fucking amazing there, if you haven't been yet. I'm sure you've heard of Little Beach and the drum circles on the weekend. I believe there's bathrooms @ Big beach with faucet water altho I can't recall. There's a little shopping complex with ritzy stores and a grocery store several miles down the hill...probably good spanging if you're DL about it, altho I haven't tried. I'm sure you probably know all this if you've been before :) Take pictures! Big surf on the north shores now :)

Yeah I have a squat/long time abandoned structure in Hana I went to last time! Pretty damn rad out there. Much more prepared for the rain this time haha. I will make sure to put photos up on here somewhere! I'm hoping we make it.. may end up in San Fran sooner than planned. Our connecting flight is there and apparently theres a huge fucking storm ha.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
Yeah I have a squat/long time abandoned structure in Hana I went to last time! Pretty damn rad out there. Much more prepared for the rain this time haha. I will make sure to put photos up on here somewhere! I'm hoping we make it.. may end up in San Fran sooner than planned. Our connecting flight is there and apparently theres a huge fucking storm ha.
Be careful while in California they are getting some real bad weather.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads