Mailing myself to Europe | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Mailing myself to Europe

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Skab - are you happy giving us a few details of how exactly you did the self mailing trips to Canada and Alaska ?

on a vaguely similar tip I know a guy who used to travel around and live in a geodesic dome - when it came time to move he packed everything down onto a pallet and paid a freight company a flat £70 which got his pallet to any postcode in mainland Britain - he'd then hitch or whatever and meet up with his home a day or two later - we always used to joke that he should stowaway on the pallet and get a free ride !

• Epic
Reactions: BabyGodzilla

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
have you ever thought of joining cruisers crossing the Atlantic ocean by sailboat?
The only issue with that is the relative isolation of the ship. Crew might just happen through the cargo hold on a ship mid-journey, whereas on a flight that is almost guaranteed not to occur. That, combined with the fact that you''re in the middle of the ocean, and you realize there's really nowhere to run if you are caught. Its why I nixed the idea of hopping a ferry in favor of just paying for the ride.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
why is this in the travel stories section? moved to other forms of travel.

• Haha

backpacker420

Reaction score
The only issue with that is the relative isolation of the ship. Crew might just happen through the cargo hold on a ship mid-journey, whereas on a flight that is almost guaranteed not to occur. That, combined with the fact that you''re in the middle of the ocean, and you realize there's really nowhere to run if you are caught. Its why I nixed the idea of hopping a ferry in favor of just paying for the ride.
you miss understood me, i mean getting on a sailboat as a crew member not a cargo ship. many cruiser forums on the net have people seeking crew members so they have someone else abroad most just ask you to have money for food when they do stop at a port. many leave FL or the east coast to Spain and the Mediterranean for the winter months.

Reaction score
Years ago, working for a glass artist landed me at the LAX cargo terminal where I ran across a casket-sized carton with a peaked lid strapped to a pallet awaiting transport; HUMAN REMAINS was stencilled boldly on the sides, but the curious thing - by my reckoning anyway - was HEAD stencilled at one end.
That's actually rather common. To many religions, or just to many folks in general, they'd like to know where the head is, rather than "Talk-to-the'Feet" after burial! ::drinkingbuddy::

• Love It
Reactions: Juan Derlust

Hobo richard

Reaction score
Looking to mail myself to Europe. Need help making a crate and need someone to take it in and mail it.
It is illegal to ship bodies, living or dead, without proper documentation...

• Useful

morphine

Reaction score
In some countries you can send small-ish animals by mail (rabbits, cats, monkeys) so maybe using something like that may actually work. I don't know if thats worldwide though or maybe just local/some countries.
Oh yes and don't forget some airholes and something to drink.

Even if the mail company allowed you to do it though, i doubt it is financially viable since such a big and heavy package would long-distance would cost ALOT. Theres cheap flying companies that will take you from america to europe for USD100. Most likely not alot more enjoyable than being sent by mail but still.

train in vain

Reaction score
Sounds like ol boy is on a no fly list haha. Funny he came here to ask for help why not just ask a friend face to face
I wonder how this worked out.🤡

• Haha

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads