Mailing myself to Europe

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
@Skab - are you happy giving us a few details of how exactly you did the self mailing trips to Canada and Alaska ?

on a vaguely similar tip I know a guy who used to travel around and live in a geodesic dome - when it came time to move he packed everything down onto a pallet and paid a freight company a flat £70 which got his pallet to any postcode in mainland Britain - he'd then hitch or whatever and meet up with his home a day or two later - we always used to joke that he should stowaway on the pallet and get a free ride !

Jackthereaper

Pilgrim
StP Supporter
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Earth
Reactions
90% 1% 9%
125 one way from newark to paris if you time it right. The govt does know you went though as you pointed out.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
michigan
Reactions
50% 25% 25%
have you ever thought of joining cruisers crossing the Atlantic ocean by sailboat?

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Indiana, USA
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
have you ever thought of joining cruisers crossing the Atlantic ocean by sailboat?
The only issue with that is the relative isolation of the ship. Crew might just happen through the cargo hold on a ship mid-journey, whereas on a flight that is almost guaranteed not to occur. That, combined with the fact that you''re in the middle of the ocean, and you realize there's really nowhere to run if you are caught. Its why I nixed the idea of hopping a ferry in favor of just paying for the ride.

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
why is this in the travel stories section? moved to other forms of travel.

Threads
Reactions
Current Location
michigan
Reactions
50% 25% 25%
The only issue with that is the relative isolation of the ship. Crew might just happen through the cargo hold on a ship mid-journey, whereas on a flight that is almost guaranteed not to occur. That, combined with the fact that you''re in the middle of the ocean, and you realize there's really nowhere to run if you are caught. Its why I nixed the idea of hopping a ferry in favor of just paying for the ride.
you miss understood me, i mean getting on a sailboat as a crew member not a cargo ship. many cruiser forums on the net have people seeking crew members so they have someone else abroad most just ask you to have money for food when they do stop at a port. many leave FL or the east coast to Spain and the Mediterranean for the winter months.

Juan Derlust

Formerly 'palmazon'
Threads
Reactions
Current Location
Limbo
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I dunno if this could still work. I wonder if perhaps having a Coffin, and shipping yourself as a Corpse might actually be a good idea!?!
Years ago, working for a glass artist landed me at the LAX cargo terminal where I ran across a casket-sized carton with a peaked lid strapped to a pallet awaiting transport; HUMAN REMAINS was stencilled boldly on the sides, but the curious thing - by my reckoning anyway - was HEAD stencilled at one end.