Looking for Waterproofing Advice | Squat the Planet

Looking for Waterproofing Advice

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
I was wondering if you all had any advice in the waterproofing gear department. Like something I can use on the road while I'm traveling to put on my jacket, pants, boots, etc. My gear is getting old and just wondering what you all use to keep your stuff dry. I hate spending days drying out my shit. On a side note, any suggestions on boots would be good too. Mine have fallen apart and I'm kinda disappointed since I only got like 10 months out of them. Thanks.

K

Kim Chee

Something to put on your gear while traveling?

Really limits what you can use. Silicon spray works well. Make sure your fabric is very clean, follow directions...blah, blah.

If you can get off the road, one of those diy concoctions with molten wax, linseed oil and whatever might last longer.

Let everybody know if you get good results with whatever.

btw: there are a few threads on this subject already if you use the search feature.

Sno Seal for boots.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I'm with @Kim Chee, silicon spray is your cheapest and best bet. As for your backpack, you can buy or make a raincover. Making one is really simple, get a sheet of waterproof material (silnylon will be the lightest but can be expensive), wrap it around your bag without wrinkling it, measure it, add some inches for room, fold the ends over a piece of elastic cord, then get one of those press head things at a michaels or something. I don't know what they're called but they're on hoodies and stuff, y'know? Sew it up and you're good to go. You can buy bag covers online for $20 or so, but you can make them way cheaper yourself and it only takes 15 minutes of sewing (or 2 if you have access to a machine)

Zaphod

Reaction score
I mean, I think your best bet might just be to have rain gear. I used the Sea to Summit Poncho tarp. It's got enough room to put it on over your pack; probably not the greatest for places with prolonged heavy rain though. A rain suit and pack cover would be better in that case. If you use silicon spray to waterproof, you'll probably still end up pretty wet from sweating (or, at least that's been my experience)

Gypsy Ray

Reaction score

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads