Looking for Waterproofing Advice (1 Viewer)

briancray

Vagabond
Website
www.bikethe.us
I was wondering if you all had any advice in the waterproofing gear department. Like something I can use on the road while I'm traveling to put on my jacket, pants, boots, etc. My gear is getting old and just wondering what you all use to keep your stuff dry. I hate spending days drying out my shit. On a side note, any suggestions on boots would be good too. Mine have fallen apart and I'm kinda disappointed since I only got like 10 months out of them. Thanks.

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!
K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Something to put on your gear while traveling?

Really limits what you can use. Silicon spray works well. Make sure your fabric is very clean, follow directions...blah, blah.

If you can get off the road, one of those diy concoctions with molten wax, linseed oil and whatever might last longer.

Let everybody know if you get good results with whatever.

btw: there are a few threads on this subject already if you use the search feature.

Sno Seal for boots.

OP
briancray

briancray

Vagabond
Website
www.bikethe.us
I tried searching but only found an instructables guide for carrharts. I will look into what you recommended. Thanks for the suggestions.

autumn

Lurker
I'm with @Kim Chee, silicon spray is your cheapest and best bet. As for your backpack, you can buy or make a raincover. Making one is really simple, get a sheet of waterproof material (silnylon will be the lightest but can be expensive), wrap it around your bag without wrinkling it, measure it, add some inches for room, fold the ends over a piece of elastic cord, then get one of those press head things at a michaels or something. I don't know what they're called but they're on hoodies and stuff, y'know? Sew it up and you're good to go. You can buy bag covers online for $20 or so, but you can make them way cheaper yourself and it only takes 15 minutes of sewing (or 2 if you have access to a machine)

Zaphod

Wanderer
I mean, I think your best bet might just be to have rain gear. I used the Sea to Summit Poncho tarp. It's got enough room to put it on over your pack; probably not the greatest for places with prolonged heavy rain though. A rain suit and pack cover would be better in that case. If you use silicon spray to waterproof, you'll probably still end up pretty wet from sweating (or, at least that's been my experience)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.75
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $70.75 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $70.75 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $70.75 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bent123 wrote on iamwhatiam's profile.
I read your story last month about working in Alaska. I got a job in Naknek this summer. Definitely can get how it felt like jail. I fear it's really going to feel that way with this virus. We can't go into town. I'm not very happy about that since it will limit my exploring. Yet I really need the opportunity right now. Anymore advice is much appreciated.
Anyone been to Thailand or know anything about Thailand? Going in September and have absolutely no plans yet, open to suggestions!
Cincy, somehow is full of kids last year or so, like it.
Last week i took some trains i ain't rode in a while. Sparks->elko->green river->cheyenne->denver->amarillo->belen
I did some really important tweaking of the navigation menu on StP today. It should be significantly easier for mobile users to get around :)
Anyone in Chicago?!? Just rolled into town, next stop Minneapolis
Hey all, peace from a mostly retired road dog and now sober husband and father. Spent my youth hitching and tramping around the west primarily, Durango, mesa verde, Quartzsite, Laramie,Lander also Cincinnati, Philly, Detroit, Alabama, florida, Washington etc. Mostly lurking, keeping up on news and thinking about future destinations. Thanks for reading
Ridin' dirty face all day, playa playyyy
My New Backpack Review! Love this Pack!

Members online

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$70.75
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
rezaria