Looking for a bit of advice. | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

Looking for a bit of advice.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
i was 18..

3 books, a pouch, a coat & a $20 bill (of which i am ashamed), east to 3,000 miles west..

God, i wish i had that coat..

be carefull of the fucking creeps.. this *cannot*.. ***CANNOT*** be over emphasized..

if you have hitched through your state for a total of about 500 miles, you are probably tempered.

if not, i would suggest trains, bikes or walking..

or hitching, so long as you are able to break a fucking window or otherwise get out..

dinna have stunguns when i was 20.. could be advisable.. right in the fucking eyes..

get to the fucking ocean.

Reaction score
@creature Man I would love to hear your story some time. I'll definitely keep an eye peeled, last thing I want is to end up in a ditch or worse. Self defense items are definitely being packed within reach, there are more weirdos out there than I know about, I'm sure. Really want to hop trains, though. I feel like that'd be a really enjoyable way to put some miles behind me. Ever hopped any? If so, how'd it go? Any advice on that? Haha.

EDIT: Actually, poked around a bit and found an article on train hopping. Looking good so far, aha.

Last edited:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
well.. two things..

i think i only rode about 3.000 miles, which is fucking *squat*
**and** i did that back in the late 70s..

did enough of it to know it didn't really make my boat float, though i could understand how others could live full sail, beneath it.. & frankly?
i envy them for that..

don't worry too much, just.. what usually happens is the creep will say something suggestive, often heterosexual creepy, to draw you in, if yer straight..
then, after you reply to this, thinking "it's ok, i'm straight, this is common between straight guys", you'll saying something like "oh, yeah.. i agree, brunettes are beautifull".. they'll poke a little farther.. try to get you to a point where they can blame *you* for going along in the first place..

they are dirty, fucked up shits..

this is why the rails (or biking, or rubertramping or whatever, may be advisable..)
just so you know?
there is never, ever, ever, ever any reason to broach sexual innuendo when a ride is offered.

just keep yer mouth shut & say something like "yeah.. my uncle was put in the slammer for that.. blah blah"

don't worry about self defense, unless you are being abducted or assaulted..

but.. let's not go there..

i only had 2 episodes & both were.. interceded upon..

have to hit the sack, buddy..

g'night...

C

linno

Reaction score
Sleep away from other people (hide), learn how to panhandle/busk/spange (people will surprise you for good and for bad), keep moving and say Oi to dirty kids to fit in
Free food is abundant...poke around in dumpsters, politely ask to eat leftover from people carrying whiteboxes, find out where local feeds are, or lift food...whatever your style is.
Be nice, trust you and put your safety first.... And remember almost everyone who talks to you wants something
And most importantly, DONT DO DRUGS, seriously

Reactions: angerisagift
Reaction score
@TheYoungRunaway are you in Chicago now? What day are you leaving?
@linno Great info pal, thanks tons! Yeah, I'll likely have my guitar with me so busking is something I'd actually enjoy, if you can believe it. Yeah, dirty kids are my crowd anyways. No drugs, though. Couldn't do em even if I wanted to, and thank God above for that blessing. Appreciate the tips!
@nomadman Caught a ride out of Chicago earlier today, in Danville(?) with a friend right now, catching my bus to West Palm on Thursday. Excitement is definitely building.

Reactions: linno

angerisagift

Reaction score
@linno Great info pal, thanks tons! Yeah, I'll likely have my guitar with me so busking is something I'd actually enjoy, if you can believe it. Yeah, dirty kids are my crowd anyways. No drugs, though. Couldn't do em even if I wanted to, and thank God above for that blessing. Appreciate the tips!
@nomadman Caught a ride out of Chicago earlier today, in Danville(?) with a friend right now, catching my bus to West Palm on Thursday. Excitement is definitely building.
sweeeeeeeet

Reactions: TheYoungRunaway

kraziejohnboy

Reaction score
Hey you should wait till June go to Nashville lots of tourists you'll see some dirty kids and it's the best way to lean a about the streets and survival really good people there as well and during tourist season food a plenty so gives you time oh and always look for the library and look for like they say off ramps fly a sign or Walmart fly one ask re sur ants if there throwing away any thing could you have it and dumpster diving but ya gotta know what to look for fire ain't every where in Florida but if ya ever need help you can call me I'm about to go back out on the road my self

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads