Looking for a bit of advice.

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Uhh, where to start? I'm 20 years old, just spent the last of my cash on a bus ticket from Chicago, Illinois to West Palm Beach, Florida. Going to start traveling "for a living" if you can really call it that. Leaving on the 28th. I've got like $4 and some change to my name with no real way to make money, that I know of anyway. In all honesty, I've been kind of dreaming of this for years but was always too afraid to take that leap, you know? But I just tossed myself into it now and I'm more anxious than anything. I was just wondering if anyone might have any tips for me? Best ways to keep my shit safe when I sleep on the streets, places and ways to crash with little hassle, places I might be able to catch a meal and basically anything that would assure I stay alive even if it's just by the bare minimum.

Reactions: Whateveridc and Kal
Reaction score
why are you going to west palm? if you dont mind me askin
Probably not the best of reasons, but I've never seen the ocean before. And that was just the place that popped into mind when I went to get my ticket. Heard a lot of stories about Florida being kind of rough on the homeless but I figure if I can make it there, it'll only make everywhere seem a bit easier once I move on.

Reactions: Kal

shred till yer dead

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
good luck leaving fl with no money never really had the best luck hitching maybe try and work a day or two when you wanna leave and bus it out to your next destination as for food you can dumpster ask for leftovers spange fly a sign theres a ton of was to eat so you dont really have to worry about going hungry but have fun down there

Reactions: buffalobill and Kal
Reaction score
good luck leaving fl with no money never really had the best luck hitching maybe try and work a day or two when you wanna leave and bus it out to your next destination as for food you can dumpster ask for leftovers spange fly a sign theres a ton of was to eat so you dont really have to worry about going hungry but have fun down there
Short and simple enough. Thanks a lot man! One last thing, though. What's the best way you've found to get odd work?

angerisagift

Reaction score
if u make it to Melbourne Fl there is a sweeeeeet soup kitchen called the Daily Bread were u can get a daily shower and a meal .plus , mail delievered not packages but letters . the Post Office is close for general delievery thou .

Reactions: Kal
Reaction score
if u make it to Melbourne Fl there is a sweeeeeet soup kitchen called the Daily Bread were u can get a daily shower and a meal .plus , mail delievered not packages but letters . the Post Office is close for general delievery thou .
Sounds good! I am still not entirely sure how I'll feel about West Palm until I get there, so there's a likely chance I'll be heading that way. Or in the way of Key West, hear the hippies are abundant enough hahaha.

Reaction score
idk limited space in the Keys when i was in Fl always hear ppl going there some had success most didnt . i think ppl think hippies means homeless Utopia and get disappointed like all these ppl coming to Colorado
Honestly, that was something I'm glad I was told before I went down there. I wasn't really expecting homeless utopia, but I was expecting quite a few, some of which could possibly show me the ropes. Scratch that, though, haha. Much appreciated. Hmm. What would you say are some essential items to have handy? Clothing wise, utility-wise, etc.

angerisagift

Reaction score
good footwear and socks take care of yr feet.clothes u can get sheap like thrift store or shelters like the Daily Bread u get a shirt pants/shorts and under wear with every shower just give them yr smelly clothes . they waash and pass on to the next person. a good backpack obv . also do get attach to sheeeeeeeeeit like a special shirt or whatever.travel light AF. CL has a lot of good shit for free too .

Reaction score
good footwear and socks take care of yr feet.clothes u can get sheap like thrift store or shelters like the Daily Bread u get a shirt pants/shorts and under wear with every shower just give them yr smelly clothes . they waash and pass on to the next person. a good backpack obv . also do get attach to sheeeeeeeeeit like a special shirt or whatever.travel light AF. CL has a lot of good shit for free too .
Awesome, perfect. Yeah most of my clothes are pretty bland really so that won't be too big a deal. Got a pretty sweet bag and some alright shoes too, so I'm feeling a little confident. I appreciate all of your help man!

6bummin6it6

Reaction score
just start reading anything on this website that sounds even remotely relevant to what you want to do, or anything that just sounds kinda cool. you may skim over something and store it some place in the back of your memory and it could save your life or at least make it a little easier or more fun or anything. these nice fellas have already given you the basics, now build on it. and then just get out there and do it, experience will teach you lots of wonderful things. best of luck and happy traveling.

Reactions: TheYoungRunaway
Reaction score
just start reading anything on this website that sounds even remotely relevant to what you want to do, or anything that just sounds kinda cool. you may skim over something and store it some place in the back of your memory and it could save your life or at least make it a little easier or more fun or anything. these nice fellas have already given you the basics, now build on it. and then just get out there and do it, experience will teach you lots of wonderful things. best of luck and happy traveling.
Yeah I've been skimming through and seeing a lot of really helpful stuff. Got a small log book that I'm writing down most of what I deem essential, haha. Definitely finding a lot of shit that I wouldn't even think to acknowledge. I've got a couple of days to soak up as much of it as I can one way or anything.

Reaction score
you've never seen the Ocean before..

Goddamn, man..

may She fucking Bless you & Love you..

always.
Yeah, in all honesty, I've only ever left Chicago twice in my life and I never went out of state. Anywhere that land meets the ocean is paradise to me. It'll be blessing enough just to see it in person. Getting more excited than anxious now.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads