living off grid in a box truck | Page 2 | Squat the Planet

living off grid in a box truck

bryanpaul

Reaction score
fuckin shower in a box truck !!!!! just out of curiosity, how much money has this all cost?

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
I hope you are going to put in nice handrails for the inevitable emergency rush to the toilet! Also, some padding on the ceiling above the bed will save you a few knots on your head, unless you were fortunate to have grown up with the lower section of the bunk bed like me. To this day, I always duck a little when I sit onto or off a bed. I know it's a little late, but have you though of having handrailings on the ceiling for getting to and off the bed and toilet? Maybe it's a bit of an athletic way to speed up going from the bed to the bathroom, but it's something I'd like in a space like that.

You may want to think about a cookbox or a pot cozy to be more efficient with your stove. Basically, it's an insulated container so that you can keep something warm instead of keeping it on simmer. It's not a permanent feature by any means, but you might as well experiment with it before you hit the road.

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
Yeah, we'll definitely put in railings for the bed and bathroom lofts. Although, I'm not sure exactly how I want them to look yet. We had to take out a panel in the shower to run plumbing through the side and replace it with frosted plexiglass, so maybe I'll have the railings in plexiglass and steel to tie everything together. This might be one of the last projects we get to and will probably be living in it before it gets to that point, so hopefully it'll be safe enough without them for a while.

I'm probably going to make a solar oven as a backup for the stove.

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
I was just looking at how to make a pot cozy and that definitely seems worthwhile. I didn't realize how effective they are. We eat a lot of raw food, but when I do cook, it tends to be things like soup that take a long time at a low temp which is perfect for something like this. Very cool! Thanks for the tip.

You may want to think about a cookbox or a pot cozy to be more efficient with your stove. Basically, it's an insulated container so that you can keep something warm instead of keeping it on simmer. It's not a permanent feature by any means, but you might as well experiment with it before you hit the road.

Reaction score
Sweet project! You really have some nice comforts there without a lot of fuss. I looked at cube trucks too but im aiming for a 4x4 van that is capable of disappearing into the forest without being noticed.

If you could get near a river I've always wanted to create a simple mini hydro-electric setup. In theory a paddle wheel attached to a $50 car alternator or an electric trolling motor spinning backwards would charge a battery.

Reactions: anne

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
4453358740_44357b7493_m.jpg

Furniture is installed! Two months to go before we'll move in. :)

anne

Reaction score
Website
mobilecondo.blogspot.com
Yeah, I've read about people with power systems like that. I found some land that I really like in Nevada with a small creek but I wonder if it would be too slow to work. If we move there, I'm sure we'll at least give it a try.

If you could get near a river I've always wanted to create a simple mini hydro-electric setup. In theory a paddle wheel attached to a $50 car alternator or an electric trolling motor spinning backwards would charge a battery.

Shark

Reaction score
^ Kmart has a similar policy too. Actually, they were the first to start it.

OP check out Free Campgrounds for RVs if you haven't already, They got lots of info on free campgrounds, rest stops, and stores that allow overnight parking.
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular][/FONT]

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads