Listen Anarchist Matt Derrick

Tom Hilsee

Reaction score
I had an email exchange with Squat the Planet founder/admin Matt Derrick that began in regards to me asking for the threads I created to be removed-- but I'm drawing parallels beyond this issue. I wanted to share it here publicly in the case that others can connect, and simply for the sake of making my dissent public.

listen-anarchist-matt-derrick.jpg

squat-the-planet.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Dmac and todd
D

Deleted member 125

...really dude? you gotta be kidding me. fuck off.

you really think law enforcement combing through yer posts about riding trains or sleeping in bushes?

but also fyi, for someone who seems to concerned about internet security...you might not want to use yer full legal name next time you post on a website that you are afraid yer information may be used against you by law enforcement, because just googling yer name reveals a whole lot more about you then that you have a profile on squat the planet. but ya know, i wouldnt want to lecture you on anything about anarchism culture since you seem to be pretty in the know.

edit: also um...next time you want to post a screen shot of a email on a forum (or really anywhere where ya know, strangers can see it) you might want to at least black out yer PHONE NUMBER. come on man.

Last edited:

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Just edit all your post content to be random numbers and then change your user name... BAM! Cheating the system! You've literally contributed nothing but asking questions that have already been answered a thousand times, shouldn't take too long. STP ain't perfect and Matt is navigating a sea of oogles, greenhorns, weekend warriors and cynical old timers. It ain't a democracy or anarchy but it still beats facecrack.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Some people just need to be told to fuck off.

This grown man is having a hissy fit and harassing Matt about some posts he wants deleted on a website. It's a waste of time to even give this guy the time of day. Other than the laugh I had to myself, I found this quite comical actually.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
Really?

You just wrote 10 (in words: ten) messages and you can not be asked to edit your own messages to just "..."? You can do that, you know?

Instead you call Matt an "Authoritarian Asshole"?

Fuck off, you cunt!

you might not want to use yer full legal name next time you post on a website that you are afraid yer information may be used against you by law enforcement,

Well, obviously Tom is not only a cunt, he is not very clever either.

beersalt

Reaction score
Website
m.soundcloud.com
That thread title IS hilarious, though.
If you really wanna insult Matt's stance with anarchism, why did you proclaim him "Anarchist Matt Derrick" in the thread title?
Anyone in their right mind wouldn't listen to you.
Dumb fuck

Go cry elsewhere

D

Deleted member 125

I love it. anarchy at its best. and the first reply from a staff member is *fuck off*
LOL
where else can we have these delightful conversations?

yes, the first response from a staff member was to fuck off. do you have a problem with me telling somebody that has contributed nothing to the website, and is now making a stink about his minor posting history because he didnt bother to read over a few basic website rules before posting to fuck off? did you look at the post hes refering to? and the number of these "delightful conversations" gets old after the hundreth person gets bent outta shape about the same old stuff.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I'm tempted to retort, but everyone has already done that for me, so thank you :)

One of my biggest StP pet peeves is folks that bitch and moan without taking the time to read the help area, it's all covered there. So yeah, when you ignore all the links and countless prompts anyway, I'm going to get a little pissy about it.

Dude also left out my last response explaining this.

I love it. anarchy at its best. and the first reply from a staff member is *fuck off*
LOL
where else can we have these delightful conversations?

@todd you're welcome to go elsewhere if you don't like how we run things here.

todd

Reaction score
but am I welcome to stay also?
no offense, but I did say * I love it*
you and your friend do have a tendency to go straight to the fuck off card if someone disagrees not that I did disagree..
so if I don't like the way you run things will I be forced to go? or will I be welcome to contribute to conversations and the library and disagree in a non aggressive way? it kind of goes without saying that im free to go elsewhere you don't really need to point that out do you?
kinda see where im going with this?
I point out how funny it is and immediately your staff and yourself get uber defensive ( maybe not the right word) antagonistic?
your right we don't see the many private stupid? conversations you get but im not the one attacking your lack of anarchy. LOL
I would have expected a reply like beegod said. an answer to the guys problem/complaint. that's kinda what im here for, reading about answers to problems that I could possibly have.

im sorry if you take my short replies and dry humor as an attack on you or your staff that's not my intent. rarely do I want to accually attack someone for their opinion even if its one I don't agree with.

didn't mean to get off topic we can get back to bashing the guy who cant read the rules

D

Deleted member 125

i suppose im the friend yer refering to here, the fact that you understand that you dont see the "many private stupid conversations" should indicated that in no way do i go straight to telling someone to fuck off, and neither does matt (not that i have to speak for him). after explaining something 10 times to somebody, then yea, the fuck off comes out.

apparently it does need to be pointed out that you can go elsewhere if you disagree if all you do is disagree. if you dont like the way things are run here why would you stick around? to keep hanging out in chat? to keep posting that you LOL love how people who dont listen to basic things are treated?

and being defensive or antagonistic? i wouldnt call it that, ide call it getting tired of answering the same questions time and time again only to be hit with another group of people every week who want to "gimme gimme" everything they can from the website then complain when they feel slighted.

that's kinda what im here for, reading about answers to problems that I could possibly have.

if yer problem is something like "can you delete my account because i posted a thread that i think is risque when in reality its nothing of the sort? and if you dont im going to post a private email between you and me to try to make you look like the bad guy" then the answer is no. so thats a positive i guess that that question was answered.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@Tom Hilsee - Matt Derrick spends half his frigging life creating and maintaining a valuable and valued resource for travellers - it is completely pathetic of you to stir up drama and waste his and others time with this nonsense.... so far not one person is supporting your position on this issue - does that not tell you something ?

Art101

Reaction score
Hmm maybe someone forgot to change their depends?Its almost like a bigger anarchist then you but you have to do what I want or Im going to cry and be a big bb.Might be amusing to post that number on Craigslist in the personals......looking for(insert vile activity here)everywhere.

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
This is hilarious! As someone who's spent quite a bit of time listening to Matt complain about the stupid, entitled users on here, it's awesome to finally see the actual bullshit he has to deal with. He spends HOURS every day working on this website. Spends time finding moderators to keep things ffrom falling apart when he can't be online. Has kept this site going for some 15 odd years and created an entire community for us to meet and interact and have positive experiences. If you're that worried about the law maybe you shouldn't be on such a "delinquent" website. Or maybe don't post things that could potentially get you in trouble under your real name in an online community that almost all uses fake user names.

autumn

Lurker
Reaction score
I had an email exchange with Squat the Planet founder/admin Matt Derrick that began in regards to me asking for the threads I created to be removed-- but I'm drawing parallels beyond this issue. I wanted to share it here publicly in the case that others can connect, and simply for the sake of making my dissent public.

Maybe it's because I have a pedantic streak, but the funniest part about this to me is the "authoritarian asshole" thing. I'm guessing you've only read the bread book... anarchism involves the opposition to unjustified hierarchy. Go read anarchism 101 or something. Matt has spent more than a decade building the site - a decade of everyday work, at that - so yes, if you ask the same question over and over - a question that is answered in the rules, it's not surprising that you eventually got a "fuck off." We're not customer service reps, this isn't a fortune 500 company.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads