Listen Anarchist Matt Derrick

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
yet again someone foists their ideals onto a website that isn't theirs. "democracy" implies the subservience of the individual to a collective, and that usually is authoritarianism in disguise. i.e. forcing Matt to run his site in a way that suits you. don't like it OP? gtfo the internet is huge... and the world IRL is even huger...

roguetrader

Reaction score
oh and by the way @Dragononn the thread title is a reference to a famous anarcho text called 'Listen Anarchist' by Chaz Bufe although after reading the OP's bullshit I was reminded of another famous essay 'Anarchists and Other Impediments To Anarchy' by Bob Black - seemed very apt

Edit - both are worth a read if you're into such things

Last edited:

freegander

Reaction score
Website
shelivesinavan.com
i know this will be an unpopular opinion, but when i look beyond the petty rhetoric (statements like "authoritarian asshole" lulz), i think there are some issues worth talking about here.

i read through the thread about the flags and was a bit confused. was the guy banned for his comments in that thread or some other reason?

i also think the point about the capitalistic hierarchy of earning benefits by supporting stp financially is interesting.

overall, i think i am a bit discouraged by the general reaction of the community to this criticism. i think, ideally, a discussion of how to improve the site would be encouraged. of course, the OPs rhetoric is not very respectful and he is not someone who posts often, but does that disqualify what he is saying? most of us are anarchists here so we're not exactly going to engage in the most polite disagreements, especially when the staff don't hold themselves to those standards.

I honestly don't think that putting a lot of work and energy into something disqualifies you from criticism. I greatly appreciate the work that Matt and the rest of the staff have put in, but I also hope that they are open to discussing disagreements in site policies with patience.

I understand that a lot of issues keep coming up and it gets tiring, but maybe consider having a polite stock reply that you can copy and paste instead of resorting to "fuck off"?

I'm a newer member here, so I don't pretend to speak with any sort of credibility. I guess I'm just discouraged to see how unwilling everyone is to entertain a disagreement, even if the rhetoric really sucks.

D

Deleted member 8978

Although I'll give the guy a little credit for exercising the right to freedom of speech, it does not take away our right to have the same thing, and that is why the 10-post kid got what he deserved. Going off on a perfectly stable community using "anarchist" comments is like riding a dick without checking the size and length of it first. That becomes a problem right there, and then things can get worst. All I gotta say is pay more attention to what you're entering in text and see if it's really worth anything.

roguetrader

Reaction score
@freegander there's plenty of disagreements on STP that get discussed at length in an adult fashion but on this occasion the OP seemed to be an obnoxious demanding fool who quickly wound a lot of people up.... I've met dozens of self righteous Anarcho's / Crassholes over the years who only ever seem to bitch and criticise - no matter how hard someone works on a project they're always on the sidelines shaking heads and sighing coz you're not doing ith right... infuriating yes ? obviously I don't know the OP but his attitude was terrible - crossing out Anarchist on Matt's profile and substituting a big red Authoritarian Asshole - laughable but also very telling.....

so you @freegander are expressing a disagreement but are doing it in a much more constructive fashion by simply adopting a humble and respectful tone....on the subject of money well I wouldn't call it a 'capitalist hierarchy' - the site needs a small amount of money each month for server fees etc but no one is obligated to contribute - even if they do I don't recall many benefits other than being able to edit the text under the username and your support being acknowledged - who knows though until they contribute ? maybe you get invited to a 'hidden level' of STP - where real anarchists fear to tread......

Last edited:

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I dont want to go too much into detail when it comes to that argument ... seriously ... I think it's not worth the time.

Just two things ...

The OP posted a private e-mail conversation here publicly ... that is totally uncalled for.

Also, he posted a screenshot of Matt's profile, with "Anarchist" replaced with "Authoritarian Asshole" ... quite a childish behavior.

Do we have to discuss that further?

Not really, in my humble opinion.

benton

Reaction score
I'm not going to read the email exchange because its none of my business.

I assume you asked for threads to be removed and were told no.

We cannot escape the consequences of our actions. You created content for a website for free of your own volition. Its out of your hands.

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
@Pilgrim Bonobo this is far from a lynching, if the OP wishes to share his petty opinions so too can everyone else.

It is not the job of us staff to delete posts because someone regrets posting them. This is clearly stated in the rules that all users agreed to follow when they signed up for this site.

More over, responding like a child and creating this thread was putting himself in the open to receive criticism, no one singled him out to put him on blast.

It's a lesson to be learned; if you don't want something on the internet have enough foresight to not put it up in the first place. This guy didn't even try to fix his problems on his own.

He could've changed his username from his real name to anything he wanted and it would have negated the entire problem. All users have this ability. instead he wanted someone else to fix it for him and he got upset when he was told no.

That is the mark of an overly entitled brat with little concept for how his own actions affect other people.

Last edited:

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Pilgrim Bonobo , if you honestly think that one individual telling another individual to fuck off is somehow "rage", then I would say that you should do more research into what "rage" ACTUALLY entails.

Not trying to come at you sideways or anything, but some of the people that I use the phrase "fuck off" at quite often are my best friends.

A

A New Name

It's not being used in the way a friend would here is it? And you can't fuck someone up on a web forum, so that's kind of pointless to imply.

Nevermind the word rage. My point is the same as Freeganders.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Shwillam

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
I think,perhaps,Tom, that you are equating StP with larger social media.
as @Shwhiskey Gumimaci said, "He spends HOURS every day working on this website. Spends time finding moderators to keep things ffrom falling apart when he can't be online. Has kept this site going for some 15 odd years and created an entire community for us to meet and interact and have positive experiences."

he does this, in fact, *while he is actually either mobile or displaced*, last i saw, personally & directly, in the goddamned desert, with electricity running from a small, shared generator & using a communal shithole dug 4' deep in the sand.

This in nothing like facebook, of course, or myspace..
StP, even with all the love & strength & contributions of the moderators and staff doesn't even come close to the resources of, say (as hardcore grassroots as they are), RiseUp.net.

At least you've been spoken to, tenderly or not, by not a single person who has any other interest in *ideology* itself, regardless of how disparate, conflicting, inconsistent or perhaps even foolish or untenable those ideologies my be.

we have learned, very much, that most venues of digital interaction come guised beneath some sort of vested interest.. because of this, i can honestly understand your initial anger & suspicion..

it might be usefull to note that matt's *usual* donation drive is *fifty fucking dollars a fucking *MONTH**, and merits that are earned are based, in fact, on contribution of content & not donation.

nobody gets hit for mandatory personal info, & even 'violators' of the website rules get to A: state their opinions, B: voice their gripes pretty heavily & repeatedly & C: get input not only from the founder, but look at the number of responses you've generated, eh?

& you haven't been banned, so.. i think the skins are pretty thick, and that it might be wise to assess whether we are just a bunch of fucking sycophants, a goddamned cult, a flaming shithole of variously deranged losers, or.. or, perhaps, a community which values not only freedom, but a distinct (if maybe a little overbearing) initial loyalty towards someone who has given (as already said) so much of their life to make a place where we are free to rail, flame, condemn, encourage, hope, enjoy, instruct, share, support and even aid & abet within the contexts of whatever risks we are each willing to present to each other..
--hopefully with enough integrity that we may be able to make that risk of placing trust before fear (because, comrade, if we have not that, we goddamned fucking fail, don't we?), so that we may able to **accomplish**, however small, what we hope and dream we have the power to, because we thus know that any promise we make to each other is more certain than any fight we will have against the world at large, when all we can do is hate what it does to us, when we are against it, alone...

i do not know you.
i do not know your ideologies, your past, your actions from courage, foolishness, friendship or love.

i can only suggest that you settle down a little bit, look at the way things are *able* to work, instead of being confrontational because things are not immediately aligned to the architecture you would have personally designed upon default.

StP, is, in fact, my friend, a community build.

you have been assailed, already, by those whom would point what your previous words were, towards you.

my suggestion now, having been bitten after biting, is to say to yourself "holyjesusfuckingchristalmighty!! there are other dogs here!!" & start wandering around & sniffing a few assholes, gently..

participate & contribute.

if we aren't your cup of tea, don't hate us.

anarchy is not about either rules or the absence of them.

anarchy, ultimately, is about forgiveness, because we each, individually, refrain from physically damning each other because our simple methods of construction differ from each other.

participate..

come to a jambo..

don't be just an online presence..

nothing is perfect, and nothing can be, so don't waste the good energy of your hatred on targets where hatred of injustice is not only understood,
but put to use..

good luck, bro, because you're part of what will make a difference..

peace,

c

Last edited:

salxtina

Reaction score
@Pilgrim Bonobo what would I consider to be that?? nothing, because that's not what that word means.

on second thought: maybe, um, doxxing, giving someone's real-life location to harassers, gangs, or authorities, sending sustained death threats, or something. maybe. probably still would use a different word.

Reactions: todd

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads