Learning harmonica... (1 Viewer)

Everymanalion

Current Location
Juarez, Mexico
Any of you play? I just started and having a hell of a hard time learning to play single notes, any advice helps! appreciated:)

Click here to buy one of our amazing custom bandanas!

wildboy860

CrustyhoboHippycore
StP Supporter
yeah i picked one up a few months ago, been fuckin around on it a bit. all i do is just blow into it. listen to each different sound it makes and those are the individiual notes. maybe i just have an ear for music, i dunno. also you can cover your hand over the part where the air comes out and move / remove your hand in different ways to also make a different sound.

cricket

Lurker
Current Location
the west coast
I play. it is reall hard to play single notes i would suggest getting a cheapo book there like 4$s or so at a music store. or find one at yer local library. but basically you need to purse your lips like yer kissing someone really dainty keep yer tongue flat and yer stream of air steady. you will be able to hear the difference. a thing you can do to get you on the road of recognizeing single notes is to place yer pointer fingers on the wholes so only one is open and blow thru them. hope this helps i mainly play slow blues so i dont do to much on single notes. good luck!

OP
Everymanalion

Everymanalion

Current Location
Juarez, Mexico
I have been reading tutorials and what not about the tongue block method and lip pucker method but i cannot do either. Very frustrating at i am in love with the sound of the instrument and want to play like a fuckin' god right away, thats my idealistic immaturity ha.

cricket

Lurker
Current Location
the west coast
find the do re me fa so la te do scale its a simple fun one to learn for single noteing. i have been playing for a couple years now and i still have a bit of trouble single noteing. so good luck on instant succes!

Ivy

Lurker
Stick your tongue out against the mouth plate. This blocks the excess holes and lubricates the mouth plate as you play.

You can play some real intricate stuff on the harp once you get the hang of it.

dharma bum

anarcho-transcendentalist
Current Location
ga
stick your arm, harmonica in hand, and stick it outside your choo-choo and let the wind play it...

Current Location
Cleveland/Chattanooga, TN
What key? On a C I believe the notes are draw on 2 for G
Blow on 5 for C
Draw on 5 for D..

You can fake the rest.. Just ask your accompanist to play in G..
Spice up your single notes with double stops..
When your aren't playing, keep a price of staw.. Practice blowing and drawing on rhythms in your head.. That's helps develop your form..

I'm not a true harp player but I know a little about most instruments..

Keeper playing!!

outskirts

I ain't getting any younger.
Current Location
New Jersey, United States
All I can play is "O Susana". Still trying to get "Hard Times Come Again No More" and a few others. I just don't practice as much as
I should.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

The peavine is gorgeous, I highly recommend that route.
Fucking winter snuck up this year
Damn It! I've been thinking and debating about applying for a position as an Amtrash locomotive engineer! They have openings for Salt Lake City, UT and St. Cloud, MN. I know I got to go through training but I'll be on call 24/7? There goes my sex life and night time weekend parties! Screw that, I'll play with my train set-No Pun=No Joke!
Made back up into Cincy for the weekend. Gonna chill with some homies before we head west for the winter..
'The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.' -Elie Wiesel
Bey
First Vermont snowfall; Bon hiver, everybody!
anybody up in alaska wanna play some tunes?
Supposed Mocha wrote on Chimpsarereal's profile.
Oh youre already in MI! I feel dense now, I'm in GR myself and could meet around here or West MI

Staff online