Lazy and Low Impact DIY | Squat the Planet

Lazy and Low Impact DIY

D

Deleted member 14481

I want punk and fucked up clothes, but I just can't bring myself to do it, myself. "Lazy" is the easiest thing to say, but honestly with all I'm going through in the area I'm currently in my energy is being sapped from having such hard times.

I would just give stuff for someone to DIY punk/ geek-out for me, but I haven't come across anyone in that field. I don't have any internet money to buy stuff already made.

I need so EASY DIY projects, because I actually DO want to do it and make my stuff look the way I want it to. I go hippie, punk, and goth. Any good ol' lazy ideas? Hang a thing on a thing? Glue or tape a something on somewhere? Get lazy with me!

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
I think there are a few people here who make or render clothing to their style - one being @dannidirt. He's surfed my place - and I have a couple of his patches here ready for some jacket improvements. :)

Reactions: dannidirt

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
also, you could find stuff on etsy, and possibly commission things there.

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
Rip up an old T-Shirt, whip out acrylic paint, and rock out to some good tunes while you scrawl all your favorite punk/folk punk band logos onto your new patches. Safety pin 'em onto a pair of jeans or a jacket and BAM, DIY punk pants/jacket/whatever.
God, I love oversized shirts from second hands stores. Cheap fabric, ya know :D
As for dirty... that will come with time.

K

Kim Chee

You will get a gazillion punk points and an Internet hug from me if you head down to the thrift store, score some rags and earn some holes.

Anagor

Reaction score
Website
anagortravelling.wordpress.com
I want punk and fucked up clothes, but I just can't bring myself to do it, myself.

Just wear them out, it doesn't take so long. My only pair of jeans at the moment:

jeans.jpg

About a year ago I packed this jeans in my backpack to have a decent pair of pants for going out or something, lol ...

I don't believe in "fucking up" clothes by using sandpaper or other means. My clothes are fucked up authentically. ;)

And I also don't like to use punk patches or alike. Of course I could look up some photos on the net and style my clothes that way, but to be true ... I'm not really a punk. Being punk is not a matter of fashion, it's a lifestyle and way of thinking.

I just wear my clothes to shreds and that's it. ;)

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
@Anagor

Those are some awesome jeans.

You need to save them for all eternity.. no matter what. Haha... dip them in carbonite and set up an art piece if you have to... real cool.

Hope your UK winter is going well.

Peace.

Reactions: Mankini and Anagor

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
score some rags and earn some holes.

Or, and I realize this is an unpopular or perhaps we could even say untrendy opinion here but.. maybe, you could always try to take care of your clothes and make them last longer so there's not some little Chinese kid clocking in extra overtime hours at the sweatshop trying to keep up with the demand. I mean if they're cranking out clothes as it is and then we're cutting holes in shit, dragging them across sandpaper and somebody was saying train grease or some shit.. I mean, what's so desirable about destroying clothes?

A lot of the clothes I own I've had since 2004, I'm so serious too. I even have thermals that I bought in 04, and those should definitely wear out sooner. My shit rips on the seam, I sew it back together. If it rips elsewhere, I patch from underneath so only the stitching show. I have pants, shirts, coats, all kinds of shit that's over a decade old. Idk, maybe I'm just from another school. To me there's nothing punk about being lazy, nothing punk about being a try-hard either.

Try-hard as in; A person who puts a large amount of effort into achieving a certain image, or counter-image, to the point where it is obviously contrived. Rather than achieving an image through genuine personality, the try-hard consciously attempts to fit a certain style through deliberate imitation, forced style, or scripted behavior. You don't want to be a poser, right?

I've just never seen the appeal in it. Overnight twisty salon dreads, brand new aged clothing, patches over perfectly good fabric with no compromised integrity, it all feels so fashion show that way. When I see these people on the streets I definitely don't think "wow, that person is so cool.. what a unique style" Nope, I think "dang, trust funds must be nice"

Also just for the record, I don't classify myself as a "punk". I just feel like it's definitely not a term that relates to this thread or this desired look OP is going for rather. DIY isn't about finding the easiest laziest most effortless way to manifest something. That's just how I see it, but what do I know.

D

Deleted member 14481

I don't know what's going on with these last 2 poster 7xMichael/ Eng JR Lupo RV323, but I like how no one said anything about the goth and hippie style part. People are rushing to defend punk style like it's defendable. It's clothes. Stop being fascists about it. I look at clothes being connected to a lifestyle the way I look at clothes being connected to a gender/ sex. I don't. I wear I want to wear. If you don't like it, [insert random insult action here].

People are people and clothes are clothes. We can all wear whatever we want to wear. One day I'm hippie, the next is sweats and a muscle shirt, the next could be pastel goth/ creepy cute, or nu hippie, or cyberpunk, or WHATEVER I WANT. Do you lose sleep at night knowing someone has agency over their own body and chooses? Grow the fuck up.

I'm not here to conform to your ignorant privileged white male bullshit. You're not going to tell me what I can and can't have for any reason. I will wear punk style and you're just going to have to cry your white male tears. Cry those tears knowing, for a fact, that someone is wearing clothes that you don't want them wearing without your fucking permission.

Well, I'm very likely banned now. I spoke out against the white man (and took my own thread way off topic) and the ban-hammer all be raining on me shortly. I will be silenced like many before and after me.
I'll see ya later. It's been fun.

::drinkingbuddy::

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
Hey!!!!! Who do you think he is, Johan Solooooo???!!!! Rotflmbo Odinnnnn!!!! :D

@Anagor

Those are some awesome jeans.

You need to save them for all eternity.. no matter what. Haha... dip them in carbonite and set up an art piece if you have to... real cool.

Hope your UK winter is going well.

Peace.

• Haha
Reactions: Odin

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
So I guess my Spanx and lulu lemon stuff shouldn't be brought up here?
On a serious note, DIY clothes, easier than takin candy from a baby! Just crawl under a couple bob war fences, hop over a chain link one, go to a salvage yard and inspect some old 1977 chryslers' undercarriages. You should be ready for any hoedown...clothes nice and distressed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Anagor and Art101

iflewoverthecuckoosnest

Reaction score
I don't know what's going on with these last 2 poster 7xMichael/ Eng JR Lupo RV323, but I like how no one said anything about the goth and hippie style part. People are rushing to defend punk style like it's defendable. It's clothes. Stop being fascists about it. I look at clothes being connected to a lifestyle the way I look at clothes being connected to a gender/ sex. I don't. I wear I want to wear. If you don't like it, [insert random insult action here].

People are people and clothes are clothes. We can all wear whatever we want to wear. One day I'm hippie, the next is sweats and a muscle shirt, the next could be pastel goth/ creepy cute, or nu hippie, or cyberpunk, or WHATEVER I WANT. Do you lose sleep at night knowing someone has agency over their own body and chooses? Grow the fuck up.

I'm not here to conform to your ignorant privileged white male bullshit. You're not going to tell me what I can and can't have for any reason. I will wear punk style and you're just going to have to cry your white male tears. Cry those tears knowing, for a fact, that someone is wearing clothes that you don't want them wearing without your fucking permission.

Well, I'm very likely banned now. I spoke out against the white man (and took my own thread way off topic) and the ban-hammer all be raining on me shortly. I will be silenced like many before and after me.
I'll see ya later. It's been fun.

::drinkingbuddy::

... Dude, this isn't even about that.
We all face criticism and judgement in life. It's up to you to be mature enough to accept that not everyone will agree with and like you all the time. Guys get shit on here all the time.
Observe the following example:
https://squattheplanet.com/threads/finding-girls-on-the-road-a-silly-but-relevant-thread.7866/

This dude's a white male and he got nailed way harder than you did. You can't pull the victim card every time someone (gasp) disagrees with you. It's silly. He was making a statement about style and punk culture. He was criticizing you, not shaming you and trying to exorcise white male dominance over our entire gender.
Sexism is a real thing, but when you throw a fit over something minor like this and scream misogyny, it makes the real battles look far less credible. Want to help the women of the world? Go volunteer to work at a clinic for sex workers in a third world country, council abused women at a shelter... I don't know. Just don't waste your energy crying wolf on an internet forum because someone gave you a little bit of shit.
Don't take it so seriously.

Mankini

Banned
Reaction score
Indeed! Consider minimalism. I mean, we are talking about punk ethos, right? For most of humanity's history, minimalism was the way people lived. Only a few cultures ( The ruling classes of the Mayans, Aztecs, Egypt, China, India, etc) luxuriated in fancy shit like impractical dog breeds, silk muumuus, gold household accoutrements)....Common people dont wear robes!!!...the Bantu of Africa, people in Papua and the Amazon might wear a gstring, if anything at all. Fuck clothes. They're oppressive bullshit.

Last edited:

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
wow, this person filled all the boxes of idiocy.

What yo are looking for are HIPSTER clothes, because clearly you are a HIPster.

Second, I have seen people bringing the "white privileged male etc etc" card in very weird ways before, but your way was completely stunning.

go, go save the world! dont hang out here with us! go save it! and dont forget to look cool while at it!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads